Flying in Cape Town, South Africa

polaris

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
polaris
All right, this might be a long shot, but has anyone visited Cape Town and flown GA?

Going there in March. I wanted to know if anyone has ever went to a local flight school and did some sightseeing.

Yes, actually, in 2009. I scouted FBOs on the internet and ended up with a guy at an airport north of town. My logbook shows it as FADX.

It was literally a one-man show, with a tiny office building that was maybe 8 feet on a side. Nice guy -- Peter. We flew a Jabiru J400 south along the coast, got a good look at Robbin Island, etc. There was some military airspace between the airport and Cape Town but he knew well enough how to avoid it.

Odd airplane. Center stick was no problem,but IIRC the flaps were very awkward with the control up over my left shoulder near the wing base.

He's apparently gone now. His url redirects to these guys: http://www.msfa.co.za/ but I know nothing about them. They are also north of town but I can't tell from the Google satellite shot whether it is the same airport or not.

Good friend who lives there, member of a flying club (or is it Johannesburg?) I'll email him and have him contact you directly.

Just watch out for the marshals there. Sometimes their hand signals are complete gibberish.

All right, this might be a long shot, but has anyone visited Cape Town and flown GA?

Going there in March. I wanted to know if anyone has ever went to a local flight school and did some sightseeing.
yes. and you are missing the point. You live in chicago. It is December. Don't wait for March, go there now.

Welcome back, Jeff.

thanks. I'm struggling a little bit accepting people in tank tops and shorts singing jingle bells, but other than that we're settling in fine.

You've clearly never been to Newfoundland before if you find that odd.

Back