Flying in Canada

giaviv

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
giaviv
Hey guys,

I hold an American PPL and will be in Toronto for the summer.
I read on the TC website that I basically have two options:
a) Getting a LTPL or LTPL/MC
b) Getting FLVC

Other than the validity period (90 days compared to a year) - what are the differences?

Also, can I get a high-performance and complex airplane endorsements in Canada? Will a Canadian instructor be able to sign my logbook endorsements, after proper training of course?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I hold an American PPL and will be in Toronto for the summer.
I read on the TC website that I basically have two options:
a) Getting a LTPL or LTPL/MC
b) Getting FLVC

Other than the validity period (90 days compared to a year) - what are the differences?

Also, can I get a high-performance and complex airplane endorsements in Canada? Will a Canadian instructor be able to sign my logbook endorsements, after proper training of course?

Thanks!

C) Fly an n-numbered, American registered aircraft in the country legally.

The reciprocal agreement allows you to be granted a restricted Canadian Private licence based upon your US certifcate for as long as your US cert is valid (med and bi annuals etc).
Having a Cdn licence permits you to fly a C registered a/c. Otherwise you are perfectly legal to fly any N registered a/c while in Canada.

It is an easy process. Just visit a transport Canada office and make the request. There are two offices in Toronto, one at Buttonville airport ( CYKZ) and one at Yonge and Eglinton Ave ( main office).

Flight rules are so similiar that you will have no problem flying here- the circuit however is one small rule change that you should review.

Enjoy Southern Ontario airspace ( busy )

Hey guys,

I looked into it and indeed my best option is the FLVC (the LTPL is for student pilots).
Other than the sky high rental prices there aren't a lot of differences between the airspaces which is awesome.
regarding the endorsements, if any one is interested, it is only possible with an FAA instructor.

Back