Flying in Australia

warthog1984

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
LanCA'r
Anybody know of good places to rent a plane in Australia? Specifically, along the Western coast (and/or Sydney)?

Looking to see the sights and have another continent in my logbook.

I sure don't, but I sure want to see them pics when you get back com-padre. :yesnod:

Bankstown used to have GA flight school, but it may have converted to ab initio only. Last time I flew there was 1998 out of Bankstown. Took a 152 and toured the Olympic construction, the opera house, then over the mountains...great flight.

...Specifically, along the Western coast (and/or Sydney)?...

Well first off Sydney's nowhere close to the "Western coast" so before you rent a plane from anyone down there they'd probably want you to get that figured out first.

Just kidding. :D

can't help you on the rental and certainly can't help you on the costs (it's astronomical) but you can't beat the views.

1st picture, coming over the hills approaching Cairns QLD from the NW

2nd picture, we pass the hill ahead on the right and make a right turn down the far valley, to make the approach to the farm strip where I mooch an airplane.

Attachments

• cairns QLD.jpg
    cairns QLD.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 20
  • farm approach.jpg
    farm approach.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 18
Sorry mate, I could tell you in Melbourne. Do you have your CASA clearance?

Hi

I did my instrument rating in Perth several years ago. I have not flown with them personally but the Royal Aero Club of Western Australia seemed to have a reasonable reputation over the years. They are at Jandakot just south of Perth but also have a club at Murray Bridge. For a time they were involved in international licensing (JAA conversions) so I would think they might be fairly can do when it comes to overseas pilots.

Western Australia is spectacular to fly around and I love my Perth trips. Great weather for most of the year with the odd day of fog, and most bad weather is frontal and passes fairly quickly.

I could refer you to a friend who owns a school in Melbourne if you ever needed it.

If you are looking at Sydney, consider driving an hour south to Wollongong. I used to work out of there and it's a great class G aerodrome away from the chaos of Sydney. Three thousand foot of escarpment a few kilometres inland from a beautiful coastline.

There's also one of the largest aircraft historical society exhibits there.

Let me know if you would like further suggestions.

Back