Flying in Arizona

This Saturday Jan 10 EAA Chapter 1144 will have our regular hamburger lunch at noon. Stop by if you are looking for lunch in AZ.
2AZ1 indian Hills Airpark Salome, AZ.

BTW does anyone have their own plane that ever flies to places with anyone else? I am looking for people to fly my plane along with, either loose formation or even just meet at a specific time at other airports around Arizona.
For example I know there is a group of RV owners that go to Payson on Saturdays for breakfast. I've been there a few times eating breakfast when they all fly in about the same time.

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm always looking for someone to fly with on the weekends. Had a great meet-up with a member last weekend. We flew to Marana for lunch. Good times.

I flew from KCMA to KGEU a few weeks ago. Nice VFR flight and Luke was nice enough to give me a transition coming in. I was offerd a transition leaving but I told them I wanted to fly over the race track, his response was the offer is still open.

Here's a great shot looking North towards Sedona. The airport is on the top left up on the Plateau.

Attachments

• Photo Aug 16, 7 23 30 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 16, 7 23 30 PM.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 24
I've been to Arizona a few times, mostly related to airplane shopping.

One time I went to look at a 150 that was based in Sierra Vista. On departure it was so hot, that a 172 could not climb without overheating. I dragged it level from cloud to cloud all the way to the New Mexico border. That was pretty bad.

Anyone heading to the Coolidge fly-in this weekend?
So far I plan on wheels up from Scottsdale at 0830.

BTW does anyone have their own plane that ever flies to places with anyone else? I am looking for people to fly my plane along with, either loose formation or even just meet at a specific time at other airports around Arizona.
For example I know there is a group of RV owners that go to Payson on Saturdays for breakfast. I've been there a few times eating breakfast when they all fly in about the same time.

Do you do the Breakfast Club flights ... http://www.public.asu.edu/~idwlm/

Hey Guys, heading to Palm Springs for the first time next month. Any words of advice / insight regarding the airport / airspace over there in Cali?

Hey Guys, heading to Palm Springs for the first time next month. Any words of advice / insight regarding the airport / airspace over there in Cali?

Are you flying in or out at night? Watch the mountains!

Hey Walboy. I have a plane with handheld GPS but it is not a transmitter or ADS B. I am kind of curious myself to test out the theory of how ADS B works but if you want, we can plan to meet up in the air someplace and see if you can see me on your 530 with ADS B. I am thinking you won't see me. Yes I have a Mode C transponder, but transponders don't transmit the GPS coordinates. (They don't even know the GPS coordinates ie. Longitude and Latitude) So without my coordinates being transmitted by anything in my aircraft, how can ADS B know where to look or where to place my aircraft position on your screen. ADS B is a GPS based system, not a radar based system. ADS B is definitely the wave of the future and GPS is a wonderful tool and system. And, yes I do agree that it is a safety enhancer. Still, nothing beats taking your head out of the cockpit, (technology and all) and using the basic technique of looking for other traffic, along with communicating with other traffic.

In any event I would love to test it out and fly next to you sometime to test if it is possible to see an aircraft not equipped with ADS B or any GPS receiver/transmitter. That might be fun and instructional for us. Let me know if you want and we'll meet up in a corner of the sky staying in communication but you can see if you spot me on your screen.

Seriously?

A good deal of the practice areas and large amount of training traffic is within Phoenix's Mode C veil. Almost everyone I know flies with their transponders on. Won't a properly ADS B out equipped airplane within line of sight of ADS B towers be able to pick up traffic equipped with only transponders?

All I know is that I see traffic on my buddy's 530W well before I see them with my eyes in many cases and is a huge safety enhancer in my opinion.

Last edited:
TIS SUCKS. Don't turn or you'll see your own tail as a traffic alert. And you won't see gliders or antique aircraft in the area. You're outside the LAX mode C veil, so no one else is required to even have a transponder.

You would be much better off using your eyeballs and flight following, especially in the TRSA.

TIS SUCKS. Don't turn or you'll see your own tail as a traffic alert. And you won't see gliders or antique aircraft in the area. You're outside the LAX mode C veil, so no one else is required to even have a transponder.

You would be much better off using your eyeballs and flight following, especially in the TRSA.

Works fine for me as a secondary device. I use PCAS also. I've had two "oops" on flight following that were near me and not called out that I saw on the above devices. I also had one that DIDN'T show up that ATC picked up on the way to Mariposa airport in CA ... I got my tail number called and "immediate descend NOW" ... I never saw the traffic.

Anyone ever fly KIWA to KCHD? If so did you coordinate with IWA tower?

The reason why I ask is that the Class "D" from CHD is only about a mile or
two from the airport to the north east.

On first callup at IWA I'd tell ground control "VFR to Chandler," to give them a heads-up. Tell it to Tower again when you're ready to take off. If tower doesn't give you any special instructions for contacting CHD, then once you turn westbound after takeoff ask for "frequency change for Chandler." If they don't approve that, and you have no indication from IWA that CHD is expecting you, then exit the IWA Class D to the north of CHD's Class D (if departing rwy 30L/C/R) or to the south of CHD's Class D (if departing rwy 12L/C/R). When you're in Class E airspace you can take your time establishing contact with CHD.

To reduce your workload try to get KCHD's ATIS before you start your engine, but I don't know if you can hear it while on the ground at KIWA. Give it a try and let us know.

IWA has such long runways you can monitor CHD atis on #2 and have it before being told on course turn approved. Ask for early freq change and hit CHD with "CHD twr, cessna 1234" once they reply then you're set into the delta and then state your request.

Hi AZ flyers
My home airports are KFFZ and KCHD

Does anyone have opinions on flying clubs: Cloud Busters or Phoenix Flyers?
Jason

Hi AZ flyers
My home airports are KFFZ and KCHD

Does anyone have opinions on flying clubs: Cloud Busters or Phoenix Flyers?
Jason

I've been a member of Phoenix Flyers - good club. I haven't head of any issues with Cloudbusters either though. I know Phoenix flyers has a GNS430/530 in _all_ their planes. Not sure about Cloudbusters.

I've been a member of Phoenix Flyers - good club. I haven't head of any issues with Cloudbusters either though. I know Phoenix flyers has a GNS430/530 in _all_ their planes. Not sure about Cloudbusters.

Thanks for the reply. Cloudbusters just went on a waitlist. I will give PHX Flyers another look.

Back