Flying in AK during winter?

TDent1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tyler
Hi all. I'm located in the Anchorage area and I'm starting ground school next week. I'm excited and with the recent (hopefully temporary) dismissal of TA for military I can focus on getting this done. Not sure I could deal with work, GS and classes. Obviously, I wanna roll right into logging some hours afterwards but winter will be in full swing. The runway should stay in pretty good shape so that won't be an issue. I'm more concerned about how often I can fly. I'm sure I'll learn more in ground school about weather restrictions etc. and I'll be asking the guys at the aero club the same question but I wanted to get a few more opinions in the mean time. Any Anchorage area pilots out there with some more info? Thanks!

And another quick question. For an extra 10 bucks an hour I can fly a 182 instead of a 172. Only one 182 and three 172s so I'm sure it's not always available. From stalking the forums the last few weeks a lot of you guys seem to like the 182s but will it be beneficial to me as a training aid, or should I just stick to the 172s?

And another quick question. For an extra 10 bucks an hour I can fly a 182 instead of a 172. Only one 182 and three 172s so I'm sure it's not always available. From stalking the forums the last few weeks a lot of you guys seem to like the 182s but will it be beneficial to me as a training aid, or should I just stick to the 172s?

I'll let the more experienced folks comment re: training suggestions, but just as a comment on the price point, an extra $10 to move from the 172 to the 182 is a steal. I see $45-55 differentials in my area.

I trained in a 172 and now own a 182...I would defiantly recommend learning in the 172 to start out with. The techniques for landing are slightly different and they handle slightly differently. I would say that transitioning from a 172 to a 182 would be easier than learning in a 182 then going to try flying a 172 or a 152.

...but at $10/hr difference, get some time in both during your training. There is no rule that says you have to do all of your training from start to finish in the same plane!

If you go the 172 route for training, definitely spend the extra few hours to get checked out in the 182 and get the HP endorsement. For recreational flying, the 172 will probably suit most missions but having the option to hop in the 182 when you need the extra space and useful load can be handy when needed.

If it is $10/hr "wet" (including gas) that is a steal as you will burn more than $10/hr in gas compared to the 172!...if it is $10/hr dry (not including gas) you have to factor the additional 3-4 gallon per hr to run a 230 HP 6 jug engine.

Last edited:
About the only reasons why you'll be restricted from flying in the winter is cold (when I was up there my company stopped flying pistons at -20F) and general crappy weather. Special VFR (which you'll learn about in your training) is a normal thing in Alaska, so the weather will have to be seriously cruddy before you'll be grounded, depending on what it is you'll be doing that day.

Have fun!!

Hmmm... Primary training in a 182... well, either you're going to learn to trim really well or you're going to look like Popeye when you're done :lol:. Seriously, do your initial stuff in the 172, then after solo when you're getting ready for the cross country flights, get checked out in the 182 and use it for those flights. After that, do your checkride in whichever you are most comfortable with which may very well be the 182, just remember it's really nose heavy and requires a lot of trim on final and for the landing unless you really want to muscle it, and that is never good for finesse. Do that and when you're done you'll be clear to rent whatever is available when it's time to fly. By the time I finished my PP I was checked out in every type at my flight school and had my HP and Complex endorsements.

Last edited:
Anyone else have trouble with tapatalk? I can't post with it.

Sounds like I'll be sticking with the 172 for a while. With the mountains around here the 182 will probably be a good xc airplane though. I'll get comfortable with the 172 first but the more airplanes I can try out the better.

The wind wasn't too bad in the anchorage area. Last year we got 75-100mph gusts and we weren't ready for it. Tore the place up pretty bad. After towing 15+ jets inside the other day I would have been pretty upset if we didn't get any wind!

Thanks for the helpful replies. Glad I won't be grounded all winter. I'll probably start posting from time to time and I'll continue to read. Your posts have been really helpful so far.

My first 20 hours of training were in a 172... then I bought a 182 to complete my training in (and a hundred more hours later, I completed my check ride). There were a few factors that led to my taking so much time to complete my primary training, but the 182 definitely contributed towards it taking longer.

I was in no rush to complete primary training, and I don't think I made a bad decision. If my decision were in any way to be financially motivated, and knowing what I know now, I would have stuck with the 172 until after getting my PP. Paying only $10 more is a steal (but -- are they both wet rates, or is the 182 $10 more and dry?) but the additional hours it might require could add up a bit.

I would stay with the 172,cost being only one factor. With no time in the 182 it may prove to be more difficult in some maneuvers.

I would stay with the 172,cost being only one factor. With no time in the 182 it may prove to be more difficult in some maneuvers.

If anything the 182 is too easy. It flies like a heavy 172 with the add on of cowl flaps and a CS prop.

But I don't see any advantage to learning in one either and $10/hr adds up quick

Because it's the aero club on base I think the rate for the 182 is a wet rate. Either way, I'll stick to the 172 through training. I have a few reasons for wanting my PPL. I'm looking to cross from enlisted to officer and holding a PPL may give me a fighting chance. As much as I want to do this for the fun of it I'd like to get it done quickly (within reason, of course) so I guess the 172 is the bird for me! On my one flight I was pleasantly surprised with the 172. I've been around fighters so long I think when I hear Cessna I assume it's gonna be like flying a brick with wings. To my completely inexperienced hands it felt smooth, tame and very responsive. Flew right where I told it to. Of course, I don't think I looked at the altimeter once after about ten minutes and obviously I wasn't responsible for navigation, comm or any other instruments! You guys got it rough up there in Fairbanks, Tim. I'm still new to AK but after a few cold days last winter I got used to Anchorage pretty quick. Since we're on the topic of short days are night hours a requirement for PPL? And it seems to me that icing may not be a huge issue in the dead of winter. Too cold for moisture, but how does that effect engine performance?

Last edited:
Since we're on the topic of short days are night hours a requirement for PPL?
Quoted from http://flighttraining.aopa.org/magazine/2013/May/feature-north-to-alaska.html along with the FAR reference:

Student pilots in Alaska are subject to different night training requirements. They can earn a pilot certificate with a “night flying prohibited” limitation, but must then complete the night flying requirements within the next 12 calendar months [FAR 61.131(a), (b)(1), (b)(2)].

And it seems to me that icing may not be a huge issue in the dead of winter. Too cold for moisture, but how does that effect engine performance?

Makes more power, only thing is you need to make sure it's preheated before starting and give it time to get warmed up properly.

Interesting. I'm surprised to see special considerations for AK. Fortunately, finding time for night flights shouldn't be too difficult here soon. Good to know the cold isn't gonna put the engines out of business, too.

Yea it's a wet rate, I would stick with the 172, less stuff to worry about, and put that extra 10 bucks to flight time!

I am just curious. It looks like I will be in Anchorage for a week or two in late February or early March for work. How is the weather then? I would probably be interested in a flight, too, if possible. I often do that on these types of trips.

I am just curious. It looks like I will be in Anchorage for a week or two in late February or early March for work. How is the weather then? I would probably be interested in a flight, too, if possible. I often do that on these types of trips.

I was deployed last year around that time but from what I understand that's when the snow starts returning. Last year started out unusually cold. Too cold for snow and we accumulated very little. It was almost 60 degrees out today though (unusually warm!) so this winter may be different. March usually sees snow and the days are still short. I don't think it's bitter cold that time of year. This is all according to my wife, like I said I wasn't around. If it stays cold the flying is probably pretty good. If not I know people fly year round anyway so hopefully you can see the area. You can see a LOT of AK's attractions in a relatively short flight here in Anchorage. Denali, glaciers etc. Hopefully a local will see this and fact check me but if you're up here I say go for it!

I was deployed last year around that time but from what I understand that's when the snow starts returning. Last year started out unusually cold. Too cold for snow and we accumulated very little. It was almost 60 degrees out today though (unusually warm!) so this winter may be different. March usually sees snow and the days are still short. I don't think it's bitter cold that time of year. This is all according to my wife, like I said I wasn't around. If it stays cold the flying is probably pretty good. If not I know people fly year round anyway so hopefully you can see the area. You can see a LOT of AK's attractions in a relatively short flight here in Anchorage. Denali, glaciers etc. Hopefully a local will see this and fact check me but if you're up here I say go for it!

Well... Too cold for snow. I guess that speaks volumes. I was in Baton Rouge in August, when it was 105 "feels like 120". I never seem to go at the right time.

Back