Flying Heritage

the last i heard, he had either a global express or a G4, there was a flap about his airplane busting curfew at one of the CA airports a while back

When I grow up, I want own the REAL warbirds!

ARLINGTON, Wash. (AP) -- When Paul Allen started acquiring warplanes nearly a decade ago, he set out to have them painstakingly restored, but not just so they could go on display _ he wanted them back in the air.

Allen, an aviation buff who built model airplanes as a boy, has acquired about three dozen vintage planes since 1998. Fifteen are on display in two hangars at the airport in rural Arlington about 40 miles north of Seattle.

http://www.wired.com/wireservice/story.php?nosubnav=true&section=Breaking&storyId=1547925

BTW, sadly, he's not a current pilot. I think he has some disqualifying medical issue. Those of us who can fly should be grateful.

This is the same guy/group that financed Burt Rutan's SpaceShipOne.

wesleyj said:
the last i heard, he had either a global express or a G4, there was a flap about his airplane busting curfew at one of the CA airports a while back

You're thinking of Larry Ellison of Oracle.

All the big guys out here own something. It just depends if THEY fly it or have it flown for them. For those in the Bay Area, SJC is a pretty major hub for them. One of my best friends was working at ACM Aviation, partially owned by this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Markkula

His jet of the bunch is a Falcon 900 registered as N900MJ

Randy Fry of Fry's Electronics out here is the guy with the 'GOOD' hangar full of toys. :)

flyingcheesehead said:
G5. Plus, Apple pays all of the operating expenses and associated taxes on it. Sweet deal, if you ask me!

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-235835.html
Hey, they gotta pay Steve somehow. His salary is still $1 a year, isn't it?

All he gets over that is the $billions he makes on the stock he owns and stock options he has and especially on the stocks options that they post date to be priced at the bottom. The SEC is a little curious about that last little thing.

AirBaker said:
All the big guys out here own something. It just depends if THEY fly it or have it flown for them.
There is a certain very high-profile actor who makes a big deal out of his piloting, always forgetting to mention the fact that he also keeps a professional crew on board.

mikea said:
Hey, they gotta pay Steve somehow. His salary is still $1 a year, isn't it?

AFAIK, yes. $1 plus operating expenses on the G5 plus they pay the taxes on all that because it counts as income too. Don't you wish your company paid your income taxes? Of course, then that gets counted as income, and... Well, I'm glad I'm not his accountant! :no:

AirBaker said:
You're thinking of Larry Ellison of Oracle.

Q. What's the difference between God and Larry Ellison?

A. God doesn't think he's Larry Ellison. :rofl:

wesleyj said:

To Paul that's nothing, he'll just buy the place and shut the city down for a change.

Back