Flying GA into NYC

When you are in the Bravo, will they let you do a 180 turn at the Verrazano?

Also, I feel that the Metro-North Harlem line (Landing at HPN) is probably a lot more reliable than the NJ Transit bus that runs every half hour (Landing at TEB ). Am I right? If so, I may just go to HPN. The chances of an on-time departure is probably significantly higher on a train than a bus?
Unless there is heavy snow. Then all bets are off for all transportation.

If I choose to join the Skyline Route on my way TO NYC (from Boston), do I specify this to the NY Approach controller?

I flew the Skyline Route from Republic (KFRG) with flight following and made the request with NY Approach. They handed me off to LGA tower once I reached the Hudson, near the Alpine Tower.

On a different flight, I flew without FF and just called up LGA Tower and made the request. I was over the Tappan Zee bridge and they told me to call them when reaching the Alpine Tower. They cleared me into the Bravo over the GWB.

Last edited:
When you are in the Bravo, will they let you do a 180 turn at the Verrazano?
Yes they let me do it.

Also, depending on what runway LGA is using, you might be lucky enough to get a clearance up the East River, crossing Central Park to rejoin the Hudson.

If you'd like that, just ask on your initial callup.

Republic- just rent a car. It's too much hassle getting to the LIRR station, they won't help you get there.

FRG to LIRR is a 42-minute walk, 12-minute bike ride, or 7-minute cab ride. So it could be ok, depending on your needs.

Atlantic at KFRG are always great, if they can't get you to the train station, they will call you a cab. I thunk it's like 5 bucks to the train station. Then coming back, when you get off the train there are always cabs waiting.

The thing to remember is that there is no good way to get to NYC, period. Once you understand that, things come into context and you can make a decision based on that.

When we moved to Ohio and our son was born, I told my mom (still in NYC) "It's a lot easier for you to get here than for us to get there, and I spent the last 10 years always coming to you. It's your turn." We won't go there for a while.

Last edited:
Unless things have changed recently, you can't park next to the FBO so you need a van ride to and from the airplane. Also the delays can be as bad or worse than KTEB.

Anyone tried GA into LGA? Other than the fuel prices, how bad is it?

Airport fees:
http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/scheduleofcharges-lga.pdf
($25 + $8.35 per 1000lb weight, + $100 if between 8am-9pm)

FBO (SheltAir) fees don't seem to be posted online, but I'd imagine the ramp/parking fees might be painful. I'd guess there's no way to get in and out for the day under $300. There's also no train that connects LGA to the city, other than taking a cab or bus to the subway (7 Train).

Yes they let me do it.

Also, depending on what runway LGA is using, you might be lucky enough to get a clearance up the East River, crossing Central Park to rejoin the Hudson.

Good to know. For the OP, heading back to Boston, it would be best to cross straight over LGA and to mosey out over Long Island sound. Don't know if they ever allow that.

I love using uber, download the app (android or iOS) and just request a pickup. They now have UberX in that area and the rates are apparently even cheaper than cabs (but you can also use uber black car which is really nice).

Use the code vco9l and you will get a free $10 in credit

I love using uber, download the app (android or iOS) and just request a pickup. They now have UberX in that area and the rates are apparently even cheaper than cabs (but you can also use uber black car which is really nice).

Heh, UberX is never cheaper than a cab here. Also, beware of surge pricing.

Uber is handy for getting a car in a pinch though. Can also hail cabs with it (during non peak-demand times usually works best). Another handy app for hailing cabs is Hailo.

A reliable car service here that you can use is Carmel... 212-666-6666. It can be cheaper than cabs for going to/from airports, and no worries about not being able to get a cab when you need one. I've also used Carmel when I've landed at JFK and seen that the line to get a taxi to the city is a mile long.

Use the code vco9l and you will get a free $10 in credit

And so will you, as it's your personal referral code.

Last edited:
Bus has been very reliable when I've been to TEB, and I like having the FBO drop us at the stop and pick us up---no additional cab or other connection needed. A 15 minute cab ride followed by an hour train ride is longer than any bus trip we've ever had from TEB.

As far as LGA, I've never done VFR with them but if you go IFR make sure to get a slot reservation!

Heh, UberX is never cheaper than a cab here. Also, beware of surge pricing.

Uber is handy for getting a car in a pinch though. Can also hail cabs with it (during non peak-demand times usually works best). Another handy app for hailing cabs is Hailo.

A reliable car service here that you can use is Carmel... 212-666-6666. It can be cheaper than cabs for going to/from airports, and no worries about not being able to get a cab when you need one. I've also used Carmel when I've landed at JFK and seen that the line to get a taxi to the city is a mile long.

And so will you, as it's your personal referral code.

First, sorry for not being clear that it's a referral code -- I normally make those types of things clear. :) I only refer things things that I use myself and like.

Though that being said, lyft (which I don't use) is technically free -- you donate to the person who is driving. It's like couchsurfing for cars.

Bus has been very reliable when I've been to TEB, and I like having the FBO drop us at the stop and pick us up---no additional cab or other connection needed. A 15 minute cab ride followed by an hour train ride is longer than any bus trip we've ever had from TEB.

As far as LGA, I've never done VFR with them but if you go IFR make sure to get a slot reservation!

Is the bus on time? Like, does it come when it says it will, even though TEB is not the terminus?

TEB bus - it is FAIR, but on weekends it sucks, and it is now winter.

My vote is KHPN. Last time we were there Millionaire got our business. Very helpful, very nice. I'm pretty sure you could make it a (long) day trip by going in and out there. Land, be at the train station 30 mins later, 45 mins to Grand Central, mess around 5-6 hours, come back and leave.

I looked at the NJ airport (Linden) but found volumes of bad reviews and questionable business practices to the point of marking it off even though it looked easy / very close to NJ Transit / easy-in to Penn Station.

A few mentioned walking to the train station at KHPN. I think they are confusing KHPN with another airport. There's no train station within less than an 60-90 minute walk that I'm aware of.

The only "eastern corridor" unique stuff I had last time going up there (from Arkansas):
1) They added over 110nm of routing to what was supposed to be a 170nm final leg into the city. Luckily I decided to stop for full fuel thinking there'd might be some "fun" routings I've heard so much about. When I got my first "advise when ready to copy" with an amended clearance, I wanted to respond with "you're kidding, right?" when controller got finished dictating. In retrospect it was no big deal with 9-10 elements to the clearance. Yet, prior to that point, I was used to 2, maybe 3 points added to a clearance and the verbose instructions made me utter to my wife, "we're not in Kansas anymore". To add to the fun, I got 2 additional amended clearances before landing, but they were minor revisions in comparison. Very glad I brushed up on entering, editing and fully using flight plans in the 430/530 before going / would have been very hard otherwise with all that was going on -- at the time in our previous plane that didn't have an autopilot -- and in IMC for the last 90 mins into the City.

2) On the way out I looked at the SkewTs. The bases were around 1500 with tops around 7000. I file for 8000. They give me 6000. No problem -- we depart. 30 minutes later I ask for higher and am told one word: "unable". 60 mins later still in IMC without an autopilot I again ask for higher. "Unable". By Western PA, they finally let me climb to 8000 and be in the clear. It made me realize you absolutely don't want to fly anything less than a FIKI aircraft up there in Winter if there's any chance of freezing -- no matter how thin the layers are. Around here 1000-2000 foot layers are no big deal in the Winter as you can slip right through them with typically no accumulation / ATC is very accommodating. Up there, a "minor layer" could likely turn into the need to declare an emergency due to the airspace being so congested and no other place to put you...

Other than that, I found ATC nice, helpful, accommodating -- but rapid. All in all, I look very forward to going again (with an autopilot this time) and will definitely go back to KHPN.

Is the bus on time? Like, does it come when it says it will, even though TEB is not the terminus?

Its not perfect but generally its been within 10 to 15 minutes of the posted time... I'd leave yourself plenty of leeway if you have tickets to an event, but I'd suggest that regardless of method of transportation.

The only major bus issue was leaving the city once around 6 or 7pm... line for the bus to teb was incredible and even with extra unscheduled busses on the line we waited at least 45 minutes at the terminal.

Also as others have mentioned be sure to review the special procedures for the vfr exclusion zone and skyine route. Also be on the lookout for stadium tfrs

Back