Flying GA in Hawaii

Very sweet. We may need a full write up!

Looks awesome! Are you doing a video on the flight?

I got some footage but not sure how to assemble it yet. We're doing a couple of other flights that I'm going to film and I may merge them all into something that I'm not sure what yet.

do they have any texas bbq there?
So far no. But the hotel were staying at has a bunch of built-in grills and most of the men are down there grilling steaks. Food in this town is insane.
Every meal is over a hundred bucks.
I now have a fridge full of groceries.

Yup. There’s a reason one of the local specialty dishes is spam and rice.

One of the things that amused me about food in Hawaii was the number of restaurant chains near the resort hotels. Who would go to Hawaii for vacation and eat at The Cheesecake Factory or Red Lobster for gods sake?

Last edited:
So far no. But the hotel were staying at has a bunch of built-in grills and most of the men are down there grilling steaks. Food in this town is insane.
Every meal is over a hundred bucks.
I now have a fridge full of groceries.

My wife and I were able to eat for a reasonable (by Hawaiian standards) amount by sticking to the sushi places in Waikiki.

Yeah, $80 is "reasonable." I'm sure those days are gone...

Room service in the Hilton was worth every penny, but $400-650 per night for a Hotel is insane!

Dude, ask them if they call Hawaiian pizza ‘pizza’.

Go back and eat your Loco Moco.

I don't know anything about Loco Moco, or even what that is, but what I do like is a burger on rice, smothered in gravy with an egg on top. That is tasty!

Nobody intentionally eats poi any more.

You can find it at those tourist trap luaus, where they put it on your plate along with the real food....

Brings back a lot of great memories. I was stationed there in the Army from '89 to 92. I probably walked every square mile of Oahu, including up and over some the steepest ridgelines in 6PC's photos. Once walked from Schofield across the mountains to Kaneohe. That was a gut check.

Hawaii is where I first got the flying bug. I worked at Schofield Barracks, up in the center of the island. Every day driving home on H2 I would drive under the pattern at Wheeler AAF, watch 172's on short final, and wonder "can anybody do that?"

Realize this is an old thread, but just found it today. I flew clockwise around Oahu yesterday in a 172. Took a little over an hour... 1.5 on the Hobbs which included waiting for a UPS 767 to move before taxiing back to the ramp after landing. Rented from George's, and like most places, they had me do a checkride with an instructor a day before taking the plane up on my own with my wife.

Getting into and out of PHNL's bravo was not as complicated as some make it sound - just study the chart supplement in advance and have a plan and a backup or two.

Really enjoyed the flight, and my wife got some great pictures. I'm not familiar enough with Oahu to know exactly what we were looking at, other than the Kaneohe MCAS, but it was all gorgeous. Highly recommended!

Side note: on my checkout ride they asked if I intended to do local flights or interisland for the upcoming rental. I don't think I'd feel safe flying my family over the open seas in a 172... but I guess plenty of people do it.

Diamond Head and Hanamau bay are nice from the air. Windward side is less developed.

I have rented powered in HI a couple of times. And flew with a friend there a couple of times.

The good fun is going to another island. Last time was fall 2021 and got checked out in a DA-40 out of KHNL. To be fully checked out, we flew to Lanai and landed. Logged about 1.7 for the checkout.

Most fun though is flying gliders out of Dillingham on the north shore.

My wife and I are renting a 172 with CFI at Maui Aviators the end of this month. Should beat our Montana WX.

Back