Flying from SoCal to Lake Tahoe

odachoo

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Odachoo
Hi everyone,
What's the preferred flight path from SoCal to Lake Tahoe? What time of the year it's better to fly out to enjoy scenery and flight around the lake?

Thanks I advance,
Pat

We need to know the capability of your plane (model/engine/oxygen) and your personal minima.
In my C182, I'd go in the summer/fall, early morning, on a clear and calm day, and fly along the west side of the Sierras, across Yosemite (13-15K), then north to Tahoe. On the way back, I'd go super early and fly along the eastern Sierras at 12-14K.

For pretty much any airplane with no O2 fly to Placerville then turn right. Late spring/early summer is probably best, most scenic time. This time of year there are usually fires and smoke.

i agree flying to placerville and turn right. you can also go to auburn, blue canyon, truckee then to south lake for a different way in. there is zero smoke up here right now and the weather is great..a little windy this week though. September is considered the best summer month in tahoe. Warm weather, much less tourism activity.

i should add, minden KMEV, which is just over the hill from tahoe is having an airshow in october. i believe 13/14th. Blue angels, kirby chambliss, red bull helicopter will be there. should be a good show. last year i was in boardshorts, tanktop and sandals. i expect the same this year.

Last edited:
Back