Flying from Sacramento Area to Chino area.

CApilot55

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
CApilot55
Hey guys! So I am planning a trip from the SAC area to CNO the first part of august. This is the first time I have flown that far. Any tips and tricks on where the best pass to get down there might be? I am also IFR but would like to do the trip VFR if posssible. But if I have to end up filing IFR, anything to pay special attention to? Thanks for the help yall!

The coastline..... stop in Santa Barbara for gas and the FBO is a 10 min walk to Goleta Beach where the Beachside Grill is at. Or catch a Lyft to downtown Goleta where you have you choice of good food or fast food. I suggest the Cajun Kitchen over by Fairview Plaza.

Direct BFL down the valley, then V197 to CNO. If you need fuel or lunch, stop at WJF. Stay up high and use flight following.

Direct BFL down the valley, then V197 to CNO. If you need fuel or lunch, stop at WJF. Stay up high and use flight following.

Sounds bumpy to me.... convection off the valley and multiple orographic opportunities to power through.

Just ride it out to Camarillo. The diner there still believes in good food and good looking servers. Then the rest of the ride to CNO is easy, just stay East of the Bravo.

Sounds bumpy to me.... convection off the valley and multiple orographic opportunities to power through.
I do it several times a year STS to POC and PSP, and seldom have anything more than light to moderate turbulence. The coastline would be a nicer flight, but it would be significantly longer.

This is an easy flight - just fly towards Hesperian and follow the freeway down. This avoids having to traverse all the complicated airspace (which isn’t really that big of a deal, just grab FF), avoids going right over the mountains, and is basically direct. Last time I was at SBA fuel was like $7 a gallon, FYI...

IFR or VFR? If you go over LOPES intersection, you can go at 9000' IFR over LHS, which is consistently less bumpy than GMN (less terrain and not as much of a wind funnel). I think you can safely even do that at 7500' VFR, though I'd stay higher.

Something like KSAC LOPES (yes, they will give you that kind of direct) V459 DARTS V186 PDZ KCNO. If VFR, you can request a descent to 5500' over VNY and then make your way around the LAX class B on V186.

Something like KSAC LOPES (yes, they will give you that kind of direct) V459 DARTS V186 PDZ KCNO. If VFR, you can request a descent to 5500' over VNY and then make your way around the LAX class B on V186.

This basically works, but I would plan to deviate a bit east around the Lemoore MOAs. I would plan to go right over the top of KFAT then to LOPES.

Skirting the south side of the mountains over Burbank, then over Pasadena to 3,500', over and to the east of El Monte then south, and set up for a really long downwind leg to KCNO 26L/R. You'll be with Bakersfield Approach then get switched to SoCal Approach, possibly with a blank spot of radio coverage for about 5 minutes. Just tell the controllers you'll be going under the Class B and south of El Monte.

I don't recommend the direct route over the San Gabriels. While it is very pretty scenery to fly over, there is also no flat terrain to land in for many, many miles.

This basically works, but I would plan to deviate a bit east around the Lemoore MOAs. I would plan to go right over the top of KFAT then to LOPES.

Skirting the south side of the mountains over Burbank, then over Pasadena to 3,500', over and to the east of El Monte then south, and set up for a really long downwind leg to KCNO 26L/R. You'll be with Bakersfield Approach then get switched to SoCal Approach, possibly with a blank spot of radio coverage for about 5 minutes. Just tell the controllers you'll be going under the Class B and south of El Monte.

I don't recommend the direct route over the San Gabriels. While it is very pretty scenery to fly over, there is also no flat terrain to land in for many, many miles.

If you are IFR, they will tell you where to fly if Lemoore is hot. If you are VFR, Showtime will actually provide FF and keep their guys away from you. LOPES-LHS-DARTS V186 KCNO will not take you over the mountains except for the bit you can't avoid.

If you are VFR, Showtime will actually provide FF and keep their guys away from you.

Sure, they'll tell you if it is hot, or you could add all of a minute or two to your flight time and not have to possibly bother anyone by flying through a MOA.

Thank you all for the reply’s! My experience is a 200 hour IR pvt Pilot, I’ll be in a 172 g1000. I would almost prefer going IFR but the foreflight recommended routing has a high MEA.

IFR is often easier in the basin, but you would need to be 9,000' LHS V459 to DARTS, then V186 PDZ. They'll descend you from 9,000' once you're on V186.

IFR is often easier in the basin, but you would need to be 9,000' LHS V459 to DARTS, then V186 PDZ. They'll descend you from 9,000' once you're on V186.

That routing looks much better compared to what foreflight and FltPlan had for recommended routing. 9k feet seems easier to manage than flying up to 11k, I don’t have any means for oxygen. How likely would they be to allow me 9k via LHS? Thanks to all for the info!

That's one of the ways I used to go right there. Going West of the desert is a tossup, depending on traffic delays...

I just flew that today. Not kidding

Flew from EDU to SDM. IFR.

SoCal directed me to Lake Hughes then V459 to Seal Beach. I was only at 11,000 for a short while. Flew mostly at 9,000. Wasn’t a big thing

That routing looks much better compared to what foreflight and FltPlan had for recommended routing. 9k feet seems easier to manage than flying up to 11k, I don’t have any means for oxygen. How likely would they be to allow me 9k via LHS? Thanks to all for the info!

If you fly first to LOPES and join V459, they will give you 9000. If you go direct LHS, you have to do 11000

Back