Flying from Florida to LA - need airport near 91505

jaxpilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Paul Fertitta
Hey guys and gals,
It's been a while since I have been online, what with Sam keeping us running. My wife wants to go to a wedding in Burbank, CA, in August, so we are planning a couple of weeks to tool across the country, stopping to visit family along the way, and seeing some parts of the country we havent seen yet.

The current route, which is designed around family and broken up by one or more nights in each spot, so far is as follows. Of course, once west of Texas we will fly early mornings and avoid the hot bumpy afternoons and high density altitudes.

SGJ -> JKA -> TKI -> SAF -> ???

Any recommendations on an airport near Burbank where we can land with minimum hassle?

Also, on the return, we would like to stop in AZ or NM and see something other than Santa Fe, so your opinions on that aspect are appreciated as well. From that stop, we go:

??? ->TDW -> BMT -> JKA -> SGJ.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TDK

jaxpilot said:
Any recommendations on an airport near Burbank where we can land with minimum hassle?

TDK

I guess your choices are:

Burbank (KBUR) - I have never been there. I think the issue here would
be cost.

Whiteman (KWHP) - I have never been here either.

El Monte (KEMT) - I have been here once. No hassles getting in or out.
This is furthest away from Burbank. I think I would
pick one of the other two.

greg

jaxpilot said:
Also, on the return, we would like to stop in AZ or NM and see something other than Santa Fe, so your opinions on that aspect are appreciated as well. From that stop, we go:

??? ->TDW -> BMT -> JKA -> SGJ.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TDK
I would suggest Sedona in AZ. If you can stay a night, rent a car and take the drive up to Flagstaff, beautiful drive!

river_rat said:
I guess your choices are:

Burbank (KBUR) - I have never been there. I think the issue here would
be cost.

Whiteman (KWHP) - I have never been here either.

El Monte (KEMT) - I have been here once. No hassles getting in or out.
This is furthest away from Burbank. I think I would
pick one of the other two.

greg

Burbank.....Flown in there numerous times. Co$t is an issue. And having to deal with 121 traffic can be a pain. I would avoid it.

Whiteman..... decent little airport, not sure if you can get a rental car, though.

El Monte....I learned to fly there. Nice airport, not too busy. And really not that far from Burbank.

Van Nuys. (VNY) Busy GA airport, full services and lots of FBO's to choose from. They have two runways, one for us 'little' guys and one for the biz jets. Can get VERY busy on nice weekends, so be prepared.

If you're comfortable with a busy GA airport, I would go with VNY. Numerous FBO's, rental cars on site, someone is ALWAYS on the field. EMT is a very close second, and if you don't like the busy airspace, that would be my choice. Class C, two FBO's, rental cars near by (they will come to airport).

What are you flying? Reason I ask is if you look at the charts, terrain kind of dictates the routing unless you are high performance.
Also what does "minimum hassle" mean? On the ground or airspace?
Whiteman would probably be the least hassle on the ground. One runway, easy to find your way around.
http://www.aopa.org/members/airports/detail2.cfm?id=10522
Least hassle for L.A. airspace would be Palm Springs. (kidding)

jkaduk said:
What are you flying?
I have a Lance, but it is not turbocharged. We have O2 on board, so I can comfortably do enroutes of 10K-12K.

jkaduk said:
Also what does "minimum hassle" mean? On the ground or airspace?
On the ground.

I am comfortable in busy airspace and mixing it up with larger/faster/numerous aircraft. I based in Miami for 2 years, in Atlanta for 2 years, and have more than once done pattern work here at home with a Blackhawk, a P3 Orion, an EC2 Hawkeye, and an EA-6B Prowler - one night all at the same time. What a night that was! Also numerous trips into CLT, JAX, TPA, MIA, MDW, etc.

thanks everyone for the tips - I will investigate them.

I have flown into KBUR several times...
Request Mercury Air.
If you land on a weekend, you get $.50/gal discount.
If you fill your tank, they waive the fee.
Landing with the big guys is NO ISSUE if you have Class C radio techniques and fly the headings that SoCal assigns...

phil

pcorman said:
I have flown into KBUR several times...
Request Mercury Air.
If you land on a weekend, you get $.50/gal discount.
If you fill your tank, they waive the fee.
Landing with the big guys is NO ISSUE if you have Class C radio techniques and fly the headings that SoCal assigns...

phil

That's nice to know about Mercury, Phil. I haven't flown into BUR since the co. got rid of the King Air. We were based at Media Aviation. Kinda PO'd me when they tore down the neat old hangars and built them huge monstrosities that are there now. Media charged my friends $10 just to park on the ramp for 20 minutes.

Back