Flying from Florida to Central America/South America

brian76

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Hello Folks,

I am not a pilot, yet, but I have lots grandiose ideas swirling around. I'll be starting my lessons within the next few weeks.

Is it a common thing to fly to the tropics from Florida? I don't see too many people talking about it.

Hello Folks,

I am not a pilot, yet, but I have lots grandiose ideas swirling around. I'll be starting my lessons within the next few weeks.

Is it a common thing to fly to the tropics from Florida? I don't see too many people talking about it.
To the tropics, yes, it is somewhat common. But South and Central America are not what people generally call the tropics. There is island hoping to the Bahamas and further. But most flight to CA and SA go the over land route in GA unless they are bigger twins or kerosene burners.

Oh... Yeah, thats for sure.

I was guessing it was some old relic of Aeroflot that leaves a trail of black smoke behind it.

That would be more of my price range.

Hello Folks,

I concluded once upon a time that it would be possible to go from my home in Florida to Costa Rica in a B-55 Baron from a range standpoint (with some stops), but from a comfort standpoint it's another story. Insurance south of the border is an issue. Security for the airplane south of the border can be an issue. And depending on where you go, you can run into problems with Customs, fuel, theft, all kinds of stuff. That said, there are people who do it routinely, but as mentioned it's a "bigger iron" thing, generally.

Getting there is only half the battle. Dealing with the local aviation authorities can make the TSA and FAA feel like a walk in the park. In Central America, GA aircraft are generally considered by the public to be drug runners until proven otherwise; it's just how the culture is, because virtually no one flies GA down there.

A gentleman that I know just flew his Bonanza from Key West to Central America with an organized group.
Here is more information and a map of their route.

Back