Flying Fortress Returns

"On a bombing mission, the bombardier would roll a bomb onto the floor of the bay when the plane was strategically positioned over a target. The weight of the bomb would open the doors, allowing it to drop to earth. '

What??? Good article, otherwise. Thanks for posting.

woodstock said:
yipes!

wonder if this is the one I rode in.

Probably a good chance of it. Only nine left that fly. I don't know how many of those take pax up for rides though. Those are some wonderful airplanes!

aluminum overcast was in Cedar Rapids last week and Ankeny this week. too bad i dont 400 bucks to drop for a ride. would think harder about it if i could log it.

Frank Browne said:
Probably a good chance of it. Only nine left that fly. I don't know how many of those take pax up for rides though. Those are some wonderful airplanes!

I think I posted the video - that was pretty neat.

Frank Browne said:

If this one was from the Commemorative Air Force, aren't others maintained and toured by The Collings Foundation?

HR

Lawreston said:
If this one was from the Commemorative Air Force, aren't others maintained and toured by The Collings Foundation?

HR
Aluminum Overcast is owned by the EAA (museum?).

tonycondon said:
aluminum overcast was in Cedar Rapids last week and Ankeny this week. too bad i dont 400 bucks to drop for a ride. would think harder about it if i could log it.
You could. Not as PIC of course unless you were rated. You wouldn't want the reponsibility anyway.

EAA sent out cards to members a few years ago offering reservations to come to Oshkosh and fly from the co-pilot's seat. As I recall it was $700 plus.

They had a local aviation newspaper at Gastons that said that FiFi, the only flying B-29 was grounded. They need a bunch of money to replace two engines.

woodstock said:
I think I posted the video - that was pretty neat.

Yes, it was a fantastic video! I would love to have the experience of a B-17 ride. Next time it comes to town I may very well spring for the ride.

Lawreston said:

HR

Indeed! They have a B-24 Liberator that makes the rounds as well. Their B-17 is named "Nine-O-Nine" after one of only four B-17's that survived more that 120 combat missions. Nine-O-Nine having completed 140 missions. The other three were Wee Willie, Outhouse Mouse, and (I think) Wahbash Cannonball. The photo below was the last photo taken of Wee Willie on her 128'th and last mission.

1z6w9c3.jpg

Back