Flying for lunch with Joe Areeda in the T28

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
What a wonderful flight for lunch at Santa Ynez! What an incredible airplane! What a lovely gentleman!

Joe Areeda was a pleasure to meet and was a ton of fun, as well. And, wow, he can certainly fly that airplane well! I hope he can make it to Gaston’s so that more of you can have the pleasure of meeting him too.

The T28 is an airplane to love! It made such an exciting deep, rumbly sound with that 1425 HP engine. The aileron rolls were sweet and surprisingly easy for such a big airplane. The climb rate was unbelievable (I think we got 5500 fpm one time). I am most appreciate that Joe let me fly it for a bit; it was so light on the controls.

It was another beautiful day in California. We walked into the quaint little town of Santa Ynez from the airport (about a mile) and had a yummy meal.

Joe posted pictures of our day together here:

http://www.areeda.com/gallery/Joe_Diana

No wonder people flock to look at his airplane everywhere he lands!

Is that an A model -28? Might be a little soft at Gaston's for the narrow nosewheel. It is a heavy plane. I'd be happy to shuttle between Gaston's and Mountain Home if we need to.

btw, I flew in a C-170 at WJF back in '97. A KC-97 aerial tanker was running up at the approach end when we landed.

Steve said:
Is that an A model -28? Might be a little soft at Gaston's for the narrow nosewheel. It is a heavy plane. I'd be happy to shuttle between Gaston's and Mountain Home if we need to.

Actually she's a B model. Biggest difference to the pilot is the Wright 1820 (1425 hp) instead of an 800 hp P&W. Easiest way to spot it is the canopy doesn't have the big angled supports, Navy colors work too if the paint scheme is reproduced properly.

She doesn't go into grass fields (at least not with me) closest she'll get to Gaston's is a fly by. Thanks for the offer, we will take you up on it if we can decide early enough to bunk there, otherwise we'll rent a car.

Joe

Areeda said:
She doesn't go into grass fields (at least not with me) closest she'll get to Gaston's is a fly by. Thanks for the offer, we will take you up on it if we can decide early enough to bunk there
Joe, if you decided to come to Gaston's, we will find a way for you to stay there even if the rooms/cabins are booked up.

Diana:

I'm so glad you got to ride with Joe. Sounds like a prince of a guy. Offered to take my up when I was out in CA, but the weather and family events worked against us. I'm really not an aero guy anyway--prefer to keep my lunch right where it went when I ate it.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Diana:
I'm so glad you got to ride with Joe. Sounds like a prince of a guy.
He is! Joe is a lovely gentleman. As well as a competent and conscientious pilot.

Dave Siciliano said:
Offered to take my up when I was out in CA, but the weather and family events worked against us. I'm really not an aero guy anyway--prefer to keep my lunch right where it went when I ate it.
Dave, the rolls were my idea. Being in that plane is a thrill even without acro! I hope you get to meet Joe and fly with him sometime. Maybe at Gaston's! :yes:

I'm planning on coming up for the day at Gastons. I'll just have to wait until it gets a little closer to firm things up. I'll try Saturday; if not, Sunday for brunch. Unfortunately, just too many fun things out there to do! Wish my trust fund was bigger so I could concentrate more on fun!!

Dave

Glad you guys had a good time, Diana.

I can imagine that the plane is a blast to fly, it looks great!!

I think you ought to go back and retake photo 24; betcha you agree, too--dontcha?

jshawley said:
I think you ought to go back and retake photo 24; betcha you agree, too--dontcha?
LOL! Yes, you're right! I need a "do-over". :D

Diana said:
LOL! Yes, you're right! I need a "do-over". :D

Me too, with a bit more speed when we start the climb we should be able to pin the VSI at 6K fpm for the photo.

Pretty darn impressive!! I've only seen a VSI peg a few times, and most weren't pleasant flights. :)

Back