Flying Fireworks

JohnSBA

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JohnSBA
Several times in past years, watching fourth of July fireworks on the ground I'd notice a plane nearby. Before getting my PPL in 2006 I wondered what the show would look like from the air, and figured it was probably a military or police airplane and pilot. After PPL I looked into it a bit, and was pleased/surprised to find out that here in SB there are typically no TFRs or NOTAMs but still only one or two planes seem to do it at a given show. After that every year we talked about doing it with growing interest and enthusiasm.

Well, this year we went for it and let me tell you it was spectacular!! Here's a quick summary. First, I spoke with several CFIIs including one who's part-time ATC, and found no significant special considerations. Since the show is at SB Harbor below the SBA outer Class C shelf, we were talking with ATC though it was mostly monitoring freq until someone else joined us. I've found on a local website, that a few on the ground were annoyed by the moving light and even the distant engine drone (people are fun, eh? :) Most enjoyed the photos, and several said they hadn't even noticed us. I of course turned off the strobes and landing/taxi lights, so we were showing only the old C172 throbbing rudder beacon plus running lights (only the beacon shows in ground photos we've seen). We flew at 75-80kias (2kRPM). We got down to 1.4kAGL over the water once, but mostly stayed above 1.7k and when another plane joined us at the end of the show they were at 2k. It was of course easy to see the other traffic, as with all night flights, and there was a slight haze at about 2.5k so city lights were reflecting back down giving ground reference about like a quarter moon on the open spaces. My plan if we ever do this again, is to stay closer to 2k and perhaps half a mile horizontally from the firework launch point to minimize the potential for annoying any drunks on the ground. The most notable differences were the near total lack of smoke obscuring the fireworks as it does from the ground, almost total lack of noise except for faint boom of largest fireworks (and of course the din of flying a 172 with window open), and most of all the breathtaking "3D" effect of circling around the show. Here's my fav pic from the flight, and you can find more on our blog and my Photo Page (where there's also a short video, though I'll probably delete that in the next few days).
4762689707_5610400cfd_z.jpg

Last edited:
Cool! I was out flying both Saturday and Sunday night, though I didn't circle any particular firework show. Saturday was a cross country at 3000' (about 2300' AGL) and Sunday was just night currency pattern work. Pretty views though, and interesting seeing all the boats out in the water enjoying the show too!

Several times in past years, watching fourth of July fireworks on the ground I'd notice a plane nearby. Before getting my PPL in 2006 I wondered what the show would look like from the air,

I have observed fireworks from the air numerous times in the last 33 years. The thing that always amazes me is how 3 dimensional they look.

I have observed fireworks from the air numerous times in the last 33 years. The thing that always amazes me is how 3 dimensional they look.
I only tried this once, several years ago but what I remember is spending most of my time avoiding other airplanes doing the same thing and not being able devote much time to viewing the fireworks. BTW, I couldn't imagine turning off the strobes in that melee as was posted by someone else. Seems like that might contribute to some unplanned excitement.

most of my time avoiding other airplanes
Pretty unpleasant, eh? Scary too I'd guess.
couldn't imagine turning off the strobes in that melee
No would I! You'd want all the see/avoid options possible in a circling flock like that. Thanks for posting about your experience, because I'm interested to get different perspectives to help decide if I'll do it again.

Optional lights off was an easy choice for me, being on SBA ATC with such ease spotting the one other aircraft that joined us just at the end. We chose different altitudes and synchronized speed to stay on opposite sides, so it was comfortable. Being 1k' above the 800' firework tops and offset 1.5k' from the show, we had only to glance at the other plane occasionally to ensure he stayed in synch. At 80kias, our panel/traffic scans left plenty of time to enjoy the show. Maybe someday you'll get a chance to enjoy what we experienced. If we go again and there's more than one other cooperative plane, we'll probably turn back based on your report - or at least check for traffic over one of the other local shows.

Interesting. I've never been all that impressed with fireworks from the air, though I'm not sure I've ever been that close. I do watch the fireworks from the airport, as some other local pilots do.

Ive seen them from 7,000 passing from NJ to RI it was very neat from that altitude, it must unspeakably stunning that low.

Ive seen them from both the air and on the ground. They look cool from the air but IMHO I think they look best from the ground.

Glad to hear that you were so successful. It's a flight I have long wanted to fly. Thanks for the photos.

Back