Airmaster23

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Airmaster
Hi,

I have my PPL, but medical is expired.

I'd like to know if thing situation is legal:

I fly a rented Cessna 150 from the left hand seat, while my friend, who is a current flight instructor sits in the right hand seat.

He is renting the aircraft from the flying club of which he's a member. However, he is not employed by the club as an instructor.

My friend would be PIC, and would log his hours as such.

I would be the Student, and would log my hours as Dual.

What do you think? Is this legal?

Also, if you know which regs apply to this situation, that would be great.

Thanks.

Legal yes
Ok with the flight club and the insurance carrier maybe not.

Hi,

I have my PPL, but medical is expired.

I'd like to know if thing situation is legal:

I fly a rented Cessna 150 from the left hand seat, while my friend, who is a current flight instructor sits in the right hand seat.

He is renting the aircraft from the flying club of which he's a member. However, he is not employed by the club as an instructor.

My friend would be PIC, and would log his hours as such.

I would be the Student, and would log my hours as Dual.

What do you think? Is this legal?

Also, if you know which regs apply to this situation, that would be great.

Thanks.

Regs have exactly squat to do with who sits where (assuming both seats have fully functioning controls) or who rents the plane. So it can shake out one of two ways (assuming your pilot certificate says ASEL on the back):

#1 - you log PIC as sole manipulator, your pilot friend does NOT act as a CFI and logs a big fat 0.0 as PIC

#2 - you log PIC as sole manipulator, your pilot friend acts as a CFI, logs PIC as giving instruction, and you also log instruction received.

The applicable regulation is 61.51. Also see the flow chart in my signature.

If for some reason you do NOT hold a ASEL certificate (your private is for rotorcraft/ASES/AMEL, etc...), the only way you could log anything was if it was instruction. And it would not be PIC time.

Last edited:
The reg on the logging issues is 14 CFR 61.51.

The rules on whether or not you can do this in the club's plane are in the club's rulebook -- clubs generally do not permit what you are proposing (nonmember sitting in the left seat with a member who is not a club instructor sitting in the right seat, and a member who is not a club instructor giving training in a club airplane). Given the potential financial consequences if something bad happens while the club's insurance is not in force due to violation of club/policy rules (not to mention your pal maybe getting booted from the club even if nothing bad happens), your pal would be wise to ask about that part before you get caught doing it.

Back