Flying Communities in Georgia (Near Augusta)

DwayneSmithUSMC

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
DwayneSmithUSMC
Hello. I will be moving to Georgia in early 2016 and I am trying to find out if there are any flying communities within driving distance to Augusta (~30 minute or less commute) I've tried Google but my Google-Fu is not strong today. Any help that you guys can provide is appreciated

You will want to link up with EAA chapter 172. From there you should be able to branch out to other aviation interests. There is also a South Carolina breakfast club that meets once a month at various airports in SC. Sometimes they are fairly close to Augusta, sometimes not. I'm attaching a link to the EAA chapter 172 website. It is a bit cheesy but should provide you the information for the meetings and directions to the Pea Patch airstrip.

http://www.jcmservices.net/eaa172b.htm

I was also able to locate the SC breakfast club website. It is

http://www.flyscbc.com/page4/index.html

I have not been able to attend an EAA meeting in a long time due to my work schedule and other conflicts, but I do hope to get back in attendance next year. They usually sponsor a couple of small flyins in the area and provide volunteer workers for the larger Boshears Flyin at Daniel Field in Augusta.

http://www.boshears.com

Last edited:
It was late last night when I responded to your post and might have misunderstood you asking about flying communities. S17, Twin Lakes Airport in South Carolina, is a small community type airport. The Pea Patch, 61GA, where the EAA meetings are held is a private grass strip with some houses near the field, but I would not really call it a flying community.

I've heard good things about Williamson, GA, just a little south of FFX Falcon Field at Peachtree City. But it's a drive from Augusta; short flight, though.

Thanks for the input gents but I plan to work near Augusta, Fort Gordon to be specific. I was hoping to buy a house near work that happened to be in an airpark/flying community.

Thanks for the input gents but I plan to work near Augusta, Fort Gordon to be specific. I was hoping to buy a house near work that happened to be in an airpark/flying community.

It's been years since I went to school there, and I wasn't a pilot then. Maybe call the FBO at Daniel Field and see if they know of any.

S17, Twin Lakes is the closest thing to an Airpark/flying community in our area, although I doubt it will live up to what you have in mind. It is in North Augusta within the distance you originally specified.

Thanks all. Good call on the Twin Lakes community. It's exactly what I would want but I'm married with 3 kids so a two bedroom just wouldn't cut it. Nice little homes though.

Not trying to be rude I really want to know if people think that it never happens for one service to be on another service's base.

I know it happens. I live near rafb and it has groups from each branch but just a handful. Just making conversation.

Oh good to go. Wasn't trying to be rude, just trying to clear it up. Yes there are a handful of Marines there, although I won't be in the military anymore when I move there.

Back