Flying Clubs near McKinney or Addison, TX?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
@AggieMike88 and other Texans ...

One of our club members moved to McKinney, TX and told me that he's having trouble finding an ownership club that comes even close to what he had with our club.

Any insight into clubs in that area?

Thanks!
Greg

There are common choices at TKI, ADS, and for a little extra drive other options too.

Perhaps your friend can define "close to what he had." There's everything from PlaneSmart at ADS to equity clubs for 5-10k buy-in to regular clubs for <$500 and some reasonable hourly rates.

AT KDTO (Denton, TX), we have our 16 member equity club that did have a share, but that recently sold.

There is also a start up non-equity operation with a nice C172L and a Cherokee.

And like Rob asked, I'd like to hear what "even close to what he had" means.

He said :

..."looked at one but the rental rate for an F33A is $170 (wet) which gives me pause.
When I resigned Ten Hi, I added up the cost of flying (dues, supplies, fuel, assessments, etc) and the average cost to fly between Feb 2007 to Nov 2016 was $132/hour.
When I compare this to the $170 rate for a similar aircraft, paying a premium of $38 per hour ticks me off. Maybe I have finally turned into a cheap bastard?"

When I compare this to the $170 rate for a similar aircraft, paying a premium of $38 per hour ticks me off. Maybe I have finally turned into a cheap bastard?
We fly aircraft worth multitudes of AMU's, deal with repair bills between 1 and 10 AMUs, drool over gear and avionics upgrades between 1 and 40 AMUs, and he's worried about $38/hr delta on a very nice aircraft?

For something like the F33A, $170 wet in the DFW market isn't that bad. In my club, we have a Bonanza V35 that we rent out to ourselves for $130/tach hr wet, but we supplement the hourly with a higher than normal dues rate ($300/mo) that covers all the fixed plus debt service plus some reserves.

He also should advise of his mission needs. Does he need a "bigger faster" aircraft for longer flights? Or is he more of the weekend burger warrior that should be flying a Warrior? How frequently does he want to fly? How many hours per month and per year?

The C172 at the start up operation I mentioned rents for $135 an hour wet and folks around here consider it a "good deal". @Ravioli is an officer of a two airplane club with a C177RG and a Cherokee Six. He might share what they rent for.

So, yeah, he might have become a cheap bastard.

as I recall, he was a serious flyer with us - most of his flying was longer trips and not a lot of burger hops. I'm going to suggest he join us here on POA as I believe he'll get some great help.

Our planes are both $60/hr dry tach.

But he's on the East side of the metro mess so driving all the way to Meacham would really hack him off.

Which is why I stay north of Lake Grapevine as much as I can.

Back