Flying clubs in SE Pennsylvania?

pa_nate

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nate_In_PA
Hi all - first post here...great forum!

I've been looking to possibly make the jump back into flying here after an extended hiatus. I most recently flew in 2004 as a student of the U of North Dakota and boy have things changed since then. I've been considering getting my med renewed here and possibly venturing out to an FBO to get my biennial and various other checkouts to get back into the air, but I'm absolutely shocked at the rates I'm seeing at my local FBOs. It seems in 9 years what passes for a wet solo rate is what I was formerly paying for dual wet...I thought I was going to have a stroke.

I remember flying clubs being a more reasonable option cost wise back in my flying days, but I can't seem to find much here in SE Penn beyond a few fairly fancy FBOs that rent Cirrus SR-20/22's (AWESOME, but ridiculously expensive!) and a smattering of Diamond aircraft along w/ the token 152s 172s, Arrows, and Archers that rent for stupidly high rates.

Does anyone know of any reputable clubs within a reasonable distance of Montgomery County, PA with some less stratospheric rental rates that I might be able to form a relationship with should I move forward with refreshing my med? I'd love nothing more than to get back in to flying again, but at this rate, I'm going to have to sell a kidney just to get my biennial, let alone a few hours on my own. I'm not looking for the latest glass cockpits (in fact I prefer dials and gauges to be honest), GPS units, and the like - just a chance to fly a safe, reliable, and reasonably priced aircraft.

Thanks in advance for any advise you can provide here!

Hi Nate,

I'm Collin from the Harrisburg area. I can't speak for the particular area of the state that you're in but I know off the top of my head that we have two members that hail from that area. (Adam Z and Rob S if I'm not mistaken)

For what it's worth, up this way I see 172s and Cherokees go for $120-140/hr wet. Feel free to give me a shout if you're ever up this way. Good to have you aboard.

Hi Nate, first welcome to POA. second, yes some of the rental rates in our area are in the stratosphere. (I live in Montgomery County as well) There are some options though, you just have to know where they are. If you Send me a PM with your phone number I'll give you the lay of the land, rental and club options and the name of some good docs to go to for your medical.

Back