Flying club help

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
Hey folks:
I am member in a club with about 200 members.

The board has become very controlling and threatening. Me and another member have said we would run for the board. My name was added to the list for voting. The other person has not and the board (several of them) have berated him through bradcast emails. He is not deterred, he comes right back to them for not following specific by laws. Which they did not do and have ignored on several occasions.
So far I have been able to escape their wrath. The board is a 5 member board. There are 7 names on the list for elections next month.

Do any of you have any experience with aggressive board members and if so how did you handle or the club handle.

You better get a tougher skin.all clubs have their problems ,you could do a letter to the voting members explaining your qualifications and hopes for the club.also I would get a book of rules and study them .good luck

Ah group politics, and the fun of giving power and control to personalities who never had any before and don't know how to properly wield it.

Sometimes it resolves itself, other times, it's an indication that a split is needed and votes need to be made with feet than with ballots.

Except for asking for a direct conversation where you calmly explain your view, I offer no other advice. If the board member(s) listen and react honorably, then you have a good club. If they do not, then it's to you to decide what action to take.

As long as what they are doing does not violate any local, state, or federal laws, you're stuck with them and their personalities.

Good news is that there is plenty of room for more clubs. If you do wind up employing your feet, there may be some others who go with you, are willing to kick in some seed money, a new co-owner arrangement is created, and you start shopping for an airplane.

Ignore all the nonsense and do your own thing. If that isn't possible find a new sandbox. The people that rise to run petty things are best left to masturbate alone.

Hey folks:

The board has become very controlling and threatening. Me and another member have said we would run for the board. My name was added to the list for voting. The other person has not and the board (several of them) have berated him through bradcast emails. He is not deterred, he comes right back to them for not following specific by laws. Which they did not do and have ignored on several occasions.
So far I have been able to escape their wrath. The board is a 5 member board. There are 7 names on the list for elections next month.

Do any of you have any experience with aggressive board members and if so how did you handle or the club handle.

If the current board is violating laws, turn them in. A day in court can be quite hubbling.

I concur about the thick skin. I put on the big boy pants and decided to try and make a difference.
So far as I can tell no Federal/Stae/local laws have been violated. Just the clubs by laws.
Like the populace at large in our country, a few make the decisions for the masses, just so they won't have to do it or make any decisions. It seems the same way on a much much smaller scale in these types of situations.

Having been in other organization that run off of volunteers, it just flumaxes me why people just sit idly by.

I like the idea of a mass mailing, I will have to see if that violates any by laws or club rules.

Thanks for,all the suggestions and ideas.
Starting another club is not totally out of the question.

Just curious, how many planes does the club have and what's the buy in and monthly dues?

Is it a leaseback or owned aircraft club?

Just curious, how many planes does the club have and what's the buy in and monthly dues?

Is it a leaseback or owned aircraft club?

Club dues $22 monthly. I forget what the initial amount is, $100 I think.

there are 7 planes from a 152 to PA-28 and a Citabria.

Planes rent from $90 to $165 wet.

if you want more info pm me.

Hey folks:

AND this is why I left a club I was a member of, more people want to play "club member" or "secertary" or "president" then actually fly airplanes.

Worse then the damn CAP

Here my recommendation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTOKJTRHMdw

We had a hard time motivating people to run for our board. Most of the board members got elected by default since nobody else wanted to run.

The maintenance officer and the finance officer did a LOT of work. We are very grateful.... :)

The previous board and officers were good. Made you feel part of the club. The maintenance and treasure do a lot work for sure.

Club dues $22 monthly. I forget what the initial amount is, $100 I think.

there are 7 planes from a 152 to PA-28 and a Citabria.

Planes rent from $90 to $165 wet.

if you want more info pm me.

initial amount, $400, monthly dues, $40
Hourly rent between $110 to $175

Hey folks:

Why do you want to be on the board?

And Lynn, of you do get on the board, will you be able to actually affect positive change? Or are you just going to increase your frustration level?

Why do you want to be on the board?

Great question.
I am hoping to do things that will bring more pilots to fly.
Flour bombings
Scavenger hunt,
Breakfast flights/ breakfasts at the club house.

My only goal is to have people become more than an email name to a recognized face.

I hope it works out that way! If successful, the club will be a gathering place to talk shop.

If you have any suggestions for pilots participations please let me know.

A drawing for a free hour of flight time , with the requirement that you have to be there to win, was a good tool for getting more people to attend the meetings. It also got a few back into flying. In the club I used to belong to we used it as well as spot landing contests and cookouts to encourage people to get out and fly. These things were not a cure all but they did help. Join the board and work to improve the club. It is always easier to sit around and ***** than to do something positive. Kudos to you for being willing to stand up and try to make it better.

Movie nights, burger burns, and hangar hangouts with a prize for the "No sh_t, there I was..." story, including categories for best in show, best lie with a straight face, and funiest.

In similar situations my lawyer always asks "What are your damages from due to the alleged misbehavior of the board?"

Have you prepared and documented such a list?

I concur about the thick skin. I put on the big boy pants and decided to try and make a difference.
So far as I can tell no Federal/Stae/local laws have been violated. Just the clubs by laws.
Like the populace at large in our country, a few make the decisions for the masses, just so they won't have to do it or make any decisions. It seems the same way on a much much smaller scale in these types of situations.

Having been in other organization that run off of volunteers, it just flumaxes me why people just sit idly by.

I like the idea of a mass mailing, I will have to see if that violates any by laws or club rules.

Thanks for,all the suggestions and ideas.
Starting another club is not totally out of the question.

Wayne: thanks

I use to be a lawyers assistant. I remember the probing questions. Lol

Aggie great suggestions thank you.

I like the hour of flying trick, now to get the owner/s to agree. I think I can!

Much as with any sort of organization or even the US political system, the competent people are too busy or otherwise disinclined from serving in these offices. The ones who are inclined who are competent are few and far between. The power crazy and the incompetent are what remain.

Great question.
Flour bombings
Scavenger hunt,

My only goal is to have people become more than an email name to a recognized face.

I hope it works out that way! If successful, the club will be a gathering place to talk shop.

I'm not understanding this. The board is berating you because you want flour bombings and scavenger hunts?

200 members for 7 planes? How many flight hours per plane are you looking for?

I'm not understanding this. The board is berating you because you want flour bombings and scavenger hunts?

200 members for 7 planes? How many flight hours per plane are you looking for?

No they berated because I questioned some of their motives for by law changes.

The planes are flying apx 200 hours by 30-40 members. Realistically I would like to get it up by 50%. I don't know if I can, but I'll try.

Will you join and fly? Lol

Much as with any sort of organization or even the US political system, the competent people are too busy or otherwise disinclined from serving in these offices. The ones who are inclined who are competent are few and far between. The power crazy and the incompetent are what remain.

+100

That about sums that up

The planes are flying apx 200 hours by 30-40 members. Realistically I would like to get it up by 50%. I don't know if I can, but I'll try.

30-40 active flyers out of a roster of 200 sounds about right.

And don't rock the boat... 40 members per aircraft is a bit high. with just 3-40 flying, that means availability for you isn't too bad.

But if you are ready to go sole owner, there are many cherokee 140s on the for sale sites that are properly priced (low to mid 20's). Lots of affordable flying can be done in PA28's

Yeah - new members tend to fly a lot more than older members. You should put your time and resources into retention at a club that size. Sounds almost more like a social club. Your 160 non-flying members are subsidizing your own flying. Our charter is caps us at 20 members for the first plane and 15 members for each additional plane. We are at 4 planes and 50 members at the moment. Realistically though - we have found that 10-15 members per plane is best for costs/usage/availability.

Already a member.

I believe that they are planning to add another plane since most of the planes are booked during desirable flying hours.

What you don't want is for any of those 218 members to leave the club. They keep the dues low. Mass emails and drama concerning the board is a major turn-off and could turn members away.

Do it, Lynn. A club is only as good as the board. And if you take stuff on, generally other board members will let you roll with it.....

Yeah - new members tend to fly a lot more than older members. You should put your time and resources into retention at a club that size. Sounds almost more like a social club. Your 160 non-flying members are subsidizing your own flying. Our charter is caps us at 20 members for the first plane and 15 members for each additional plane. We are at 4 planes and 50 members at the moment. Realistically though - we have found that 10-15 members per plane is best for costs/usage/availability.

Sent you a pm

Obviously, I spend too much time on Facebook. As I read through this thread, I keep wanting to "LIKE" posts!

Best wishes with your club issues. My experience with both clubs and air parks has been frustrating- too many Type "A" personalities!

Obviously, I spend too much time on Facebook. As I read through this thread, I keep wanting to "LIKE" posts!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Best wishes with your club issues. My experience with both clubs and air parks has been frustrating- too many Type "A" personalities!

Type A is right! :mad2: Maybe we can move them a bit to A- lol:yes:

Great question.
Flour bombings
Scavenger hunt,

Hi, Lynn. I hope you're not romanticizing too much. Sure, I know what you're wishing for, but you may be a little too ambitious expecting such a large turnout at every meeting or social event. Offer free beer and steaks over the grill and you'll see a BIG turnout. :yes:

It's an old thread, but I'm looking at the prices and they don't look like anything you wouldn't get just renting from an FBO. Makes me wonder why you'd join the club.

We had a hard time motivating people to run for our board. Most of the board members got elected by default since nobody else wanted to run.

The maintenance officer and the finance officer did a LOT of work. We are very grateful.... :)

Our club is the same except that it's easy to get volunteers to be BOD members, because that's the easy job compared to the positions that involve a lot of actual work :yikes: !

Full disclosure: I'm on the BOD of my club.

It's an old thread, but I'm looking at the prices and they don't look like anything you wouldn't get just renting from an FBO. Makes me wonder why you'd join the club.

Because insurance is included in the dues and the club has plenty of good instructors. Most of them teach because they enjoy it. The club is a good value.

AND this is why I left a club I was a member of, more people want to play "club member" or "secertary" or "president" then actually fly airplanes.

Worse then the damn CAP

Here my recommendation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTOKJTRHMdw

x100!

I was in a club like that in WA. It was the driving reason I went from renting to buying my own plane.

Don't know what it is about flying clubs that attracts those asshats, but they come out of the woodwork at clubs.

Sorry to hear you're dealing with this, maybe you and your friend should go halves on a plane, and through the club the bird.

Back