Flying Checks.

GigG601XL

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gig Giacona
The overnight check flying job was mentioned in another thread. Do they still do that? I'd have though that the Check21 program would have done away with that particular flying job.

I bet Check21 has put the crimp on check flying, but there are still other negotiable instruments that have to be physically transported between financial institutions. So there are still some operators flying financial stuff at night.

And some smaller institutions may find it more cost effective to physically transport their checks rather than purchase the equipment to read/image them for electronic clearing.

I heard Congress is looking for a REALLY Loonnngggg airplane to fly the "Big Check" to New York...:yes::hairraise:.

Chris:D

theres still a little going on around here.

theres still a little going on around here.
One big check hauling company, Airnet, recently furloughed a bunch of pilots, which is the first time that company had ever furloughed a single pilot in their 30+ hear history. I rode on one of their lear 35's a few months ago, and it was mostly medical supplies. That business is going the way of the pony express.

the ops that do it around here fly an aztec or an arrow i think. definitely small timing it, and the small runs are probably the only ones still running

the ops that do it around here fly an aztec or an arrow i think. definitely small timing it, and the small runs are probably the only ones still running

As an Aztec "captain", I take exception to that remark!
:mad:

Our company has flown the "checks" around for a few years. At least until the brokering company stopped paying us. We usually used an Aerostar. We flew from Pa all the way to ATL and back, making stops in Baltimore and Charlotte, NC going each way.

It was fun, but very late and very tiring.

I haven't noticed any decrease in "flight express" calls in my area. They're the "check running' company in this area. They fly 210s.

This is purely anecdotal I know, but I still hear them frequently.

I haven't noticed any decrease in "flight express" calls in my area. They're the "check running' company in this area. They fly 210s.

This is purely anecdotal I know, but I still hear them frequently.

Flight Express and Airnet are two of the biggest check flying companies in the country (that I know of). FliEx also has Barons, in addition to the 210s. Airnet has everything from Barons to Navajoes, Caravans, and Learjets. They still do some check flying, but most of their operations hav turned over to small parcel, medical supplies, and other such non-check materials. Not a bad job if you can get it, and don't mind really bad weather and really long nights!

There will always be a limited amount of check hauling between those regional banks who do not have imaging or to service the customers who pay to have original checks back.

Man, now you're just making me feel inferior. Just because mine looks like a toy compared to others is no reason to ridicule me....

um, im a 421 'captain' i suppose. dont think im trying to ridicule you, but from an operaton standpoint, there is a huge economic difference between running checks in a lear and in a light twin, and thats the difference between the big boys and the little guy

AirNet is definitely hurting, their first pilot furlough this fall is taking out a third of the pilot list. I think Flight Express is still surviving though.

I read a post by a pilot on another board who interviewed at AirNet the same day they announced the furloughs. Now that would irritate me.

Back