Flying Cars

Shouldn't they really be called "Drivable Airplanes?"

I can't see anything wrong with this.

Absolutely nothing.

EDIT: Oh yeah, maybe the fact that AeroMobil has never made an airplane before, nor an automobile, nor seems to have any clue in regards to safety or realism.

I read an article on this earlier today. How complex is the drive system? Is anyone going to be able to work on it in the U.S.?

We have to wait and see,too many promises, but in reality nothing flying now. Looks nice.

Spanky looking thing, but I'll withhold judgement until the dang thing flies. Still, always nice to see innovation. And ground transportation after you get there is still often a hurdle.

Then again, I'll bet for the price you can get a nice-sized airplane that will hold your scooter so you can go somewhere when you land.

One of the questions to get answered is auto insurance related. Exposure to someone else hitting you exists, and even a minor hit in the wrong spot will raise airworthiness issues.

One of the questions to get answered is auto insurance related. Exposure to someone else hitting you exists, and even a minor hit in the wrong spot will raise airworthiness issues.

Yup!
Who insures it and which insurance covers it? Depends on the phase of flight / driving?

Also would any of you that have your own plane be willing to subject it to the potential risks you subject your car to on a daily basis?

Only advantage this offers is getting you to a runway.

You wouldn't park this in the walgreens parking lot next to the other cars while you run in real quick to pick up condoms and a George foreman grill (date night)

Also if you get a DWI in this thing which license do you lose?

Probably never going to happen however I want it to.
You rob a bank and this is your getaway car, the high speed chase is going to be awesome.

Ahh, the ole' automatic parachute in case the pilot gets ill. Does it have an on- board blood pressure cuff and ECG? I guess that's why they only had room for a partial autopilot. I wonder what part they give you.

I wonder what part they give you.

The manual inflation tube?

luv137-Automatic-Pilot.jpg

I can already see Ma and Pa Fricket coming home in their Turbuolator 2000 crapcan hitting 15 minutes of moderate to severe in the Banning Pass whilst munching on their churros..........LOL........immediately thereafter landing the Crap Can and driving to the nearest Ace Hardware for a bunch of For Sale signs........

What I expect when you say 'flying car' is a machine that isn't very good at either. :nonod:

It may fly and it may drive, but pretty badly at both separately.

Everything is a trade off.

Same problem with all of them, still requires a runway and piloting skills. Personal flying machines won't become ubiquitous until we make an energy source dense enough to do it quad copter style. Untl you can pull out of the garage and take off from your driveway and land in 7/11s parking lot, these will remain a rarified curiosity.

What I expect when you say 'flying car' is a machine that isn't very good at either. :nonod:

It may fly and it may drive, but pretty badly at both separately.

Everything is a trade off.

You mean like the Flying Pinto.?? :lol::lol::lol:

Same problem with all of them, still requires a runway and piloting skills. Personal flying machines won't become ubiquitous until we make an energy source dense enough to do it quad copter style. Untl you can pull out of the garage and take off from your driveway and land in 7/11s parking lot, these will remain a rarified curiosity.

Agreed. They will need to be fully-automated with GPS in order to get from A to B without input from the occupants.

People have been saying this for years, "flying cars are the future".

I like the concept of a flying car, but in reality the best implementation is going to result in a mediocre car and airplane. The drivable gyrocopter sounds a lot more promising to me.

What does 9,800ft have to do with compression?

You mean pressurization? I was wondering about that. I think it should be meters instead of feet because that is 32,000' and there may be a legal requirement to pressurize a cabin above that. I just failed to see the relevance to the machine.:dunno:

I bet Terrafugia is ROFLing at these dreamers. Carplanes end up serving two masters and do neither very well.

Passing FAA certification as well as NHTSA and CAFE and all the other nonsense that our government dreams up? I'll be very surprised if we ever see a flying car that is worth a chit.

I bet Terrafugia is ROFLing at these dreamers. Carplanes end up serving two masters and do neither very well.

Passing FAA certification as well as NHTSA and CAFE and all the other nonsense that our government dreams up? I'll be very surprised if we ever see a flying car that is worth a chit.

It really is irrelevant. The winged roadable vehicle serves neither master is the whole problem, it does neither job well enough to make the combination of them beneficial.

It really is irrelevant. The winged roadable vehicle serves neither master is the whole problem, it does neither job well enough to make the combination of them beneficial.

What's irrelevant? That was my thesis exactly.

Flying Ford Pinto Was Better

Most folks don't realize one of the coolest convertible flying cars...one that in fact actually flew...was the Mizar (a modified Ford Pinto mated to a Cessna Skymaster back end). The car body in the ad below is still around. The inventor, however, died when the wings separated from the car in flight, just before the launch at Galpin Ford in So Cal. The crash killed the concept...but in fact it did fly on many test flights.

Don't believe me? Here's the original infomercial from TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzv4q5EEy1k

Last edited:
Re: Flying Ford Pinto Was Better

Most folks don't realize one of the coolest convertible flying cars...one that in fact actually flew...was the Mizar (a modified Ford Pinto mated to a Cessna Skymaster back end). The car body in the ad below is still around. The inventor, however, died when the wings separated from the car in flight, just before the launch at Galpin Ford in So Cal. The crash killed the concept...but in fact it did fly on many test flights.

Don't believe me? Here's the original infomercial from TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzv4q5EEy1k

I remember that car. It was in a James Bond or 'Our man Flint' movie ... Crazy.

You know, lawyers have taken all the fun out of everything. :D

Back then it was, "you wanna die by a Ford Pinto crash fire or the wings flying off?" Take your pick. :lol::no:

Re: Flying Ford Pinto Was Better

Most folks don't realize one of the coolest convertible flying cars . . . .
The inventor, however, died when the wings separated from the car in flight . . . .
Sounds cool. :no::rofl:

Back