Flying around Norfolk...

ActiveAir

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ActiveAir
So, if I rent a plane for sight seeing, how is it flying around the Norfolk area? It appears to be a very active area with the Charley, military installations, and other concerns. Can I do like a "bay tour" around the Naval base. San Francisco is a busy Bravo and other area, but there are ways to fly around in close proximity in their version of a "Bay tour".

Otherwise, looking at flying south and checking out Kill Devil Hills and the Outer Banks.

So, if I rent a plane for sight seeing, how is it flying around the Norfolk area? It appears to be a very active area with the Charley, military installations, and other concerns. Can I do like a "bay tour" around the Naval base. San Francisco is a busy Bravo and other area, but there are ways to fly around in close proximity in their version of a "Bay tour".

Otherwise, looking at flying south and checking out Kill Devil Hills and the Outer Banks.
It’s not hard, but be on the lookout for Navy traffic into and out of Chambers and Oceana. You can ask Norfolk Approach for advisories, but they are one of the weakest TRACONs I’ve ever dealt with. I usually don’t bother if I don’t have to.

Assuming you depart from CPK, fly toward Oceana. You can either contact NZU tower and ask to transition the Delta, or climb above 2500’ and fly over it. Then turn left around Cape Henry and descend to 1000’ and follow Thimble Shoals channel onbound. You’ll be under the Class C. Just watch for helos.

Approaching the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, call up Chambers Tower (NGU) and ask to transition their Delta west of the Naval Station piers. They’ll usually clear you, but tell you to ‘not take any photographs’.....as if they even know. But apparently they are required to say it.

Follow the river toward downtown Norfolk/Portsmouth at 1000’ and it will take you back toward CPK.

The other option is to just go east toward the coast and turn right and follow the beach down as far as you feel like. Both routes are pretty scenic in their own right, but less airspace to worry about going south.

Lots of sights to be seen in the tidewater area aka Norfolk. Norfolk approach/departure is very laid back almost always get what i ask nicely for like a beach transition or circling over a point in class airspace. Williamsburg JGG has the best food and first fright FFA is by far the most interesting be prepared no food near by and my rental outfit epix in CPK makes u take an instructor your first time its short with big trees all around and a big house at the end of 03. Last time i was there skid marks were going off the end of 03 Check for tfr’s and be careful about the numerous wildlife refuges(be above 2000ft)and the tiny bit of restricted airspace just south of oceana NTU. Have fun

Thanks for the info. Hoping to do both, circle Norfolk, the Naval Station around past Cape Henry and head south to FFA.

...first fright FFA is by far the most interesting be prepared no food near by and my rental outfit epix in CPK makes u take an instructor your first time its short with big trees all around and a big house at the end of 03. Last time i was there skid marks were going off the end of 03...

There's a Dairy Queen about a mile away at the corner of Ocean Bay Blvd and US 158. According to Google maps, about a 20 minute walk (The exercise is good for you). Start at the AOPA hut, and walk towards the monument, then bear right when you reach the circular path around the monument. When you get to the metal Wright flyer, cut across the field to the road (Ocean Bay), then continue east on Ocean Bay up to US 158. You'll have to cross 158 and Ocean Bay to get over to the DQ. They have picnic tables...and shakes. Yummy shakes.

Or take a picnic with you and hang out near the AOPA hut under the trees then walk up to the monument.

The biggest issue I had with the trees was on the west side downwind, you have to stay close or you can't see the runway. But the monument makes a great landmark. There can be a stiff crosswind off the ocean, which dissipates as you go below the trees. You have to do a back taxi if you land on 03.

It's a great place to go, beautiful and historical.

I was flying into ORF a few years back to visit my old stomping grounds. Tower kept me at 3,000' until midfield downwind! Fortunately, I was in the 182RG. Dropped the gear, put in 40degrees of flaps and headed down... fast! Was a great ride.

I'm not intimately familiar with NGU/Chambers, but at NTU/Oceana, you will be well clear of everyone at 1000ft or below assuming you are outside the lateral confines of the airspace.....unless it is IFR and we are flying PARs, in which case the approach corridor will become a factor. Keep in mind that there is no minimum climb rate in the departure corridor of any real significance (highest obstacles are a couple hundred feet), so while most guys will climb at a pretty healthy rate up to the SID initial altitude of 4k, you could find an outlier climbing more slowly. Our initials (7 ish NM on extended runway centerline of approach end) are at 3k, so even at 1500 or 2500 you would be clear, again until guys start descending to 1500 ft inside of that for the overhead. Last thing is that if Fentress/KNFE is active, that can completely invalidate everything I've just said. Guys typically go down there VFR-ish at 1500 ft from NTU to NFE, and RTB at 3k on an IFR clearance......basically anywhere within 5-6 miles of NFE, and particularly the area between NTU and NFE, will be sporty if Fentress is being used. If nothing else, I'd heed this advice....I've personally had a couple close passes with Cessnas and the like who clearly didn't realize we were using NFE, and just blew through the pattern unaware, at pattern altitude, with 5-6 F/A-18's co-altitude. Well below average lookout and headwork for both those guys, but hey, it happens. Just something to be aware of if looking to transit that airspace. Hope that helps. Again, can't really speak to NGU or ORF, I really only get over that way in an airplane if I am on a commercial flight or a mil transport.

Though I'm sure the Norfolk/Chesapeake Bay tour would be cool and also do-able, I'd personally rather fly down the outer banks. Super scenic, and it looked really nice this afternoon just trolling around VFR down that way.

Last edited:
Could also slide over to the eastern shore (across Chesapeake Bay). I'm based at MFV. Pretty short flight, and especially out over the barrier islands some very pretty scenery.

(and I've been on the runway at Fentress...but in an RX7. No clue if they still do it, but ~2004 I autocross'd there)

There isn't much to see around Norfolk mainly farm fields, but it isn't very far to Lincoln or Omaha.

Oh, wrong Norfolk....:)

I'm not intimately familiar with NGU/Chambers
Only real things to watch for at Chambers are E-2s/C-2s doing pattern work and occasional helos at 500’ along the river. But NGU tower will let you know and keep you clear.

1000’ along the channel/river works well. If there is anyone in the pattern, they’ll probably tell to to remain a mile or two west of the piers.

I'm not intimately familiar with NGU/Chambers, but at NTU/Oceana, you will be well clear of everyone at 1000ft or below assuming you are outside the lateral confines of the airspace.....unless it is IFR and we are flying PARs, in which case the approach corridor will become a factor. Keep in mind that there is no minimum climb rate in the departure corridor of any real significance (highest obstacles are a couple hundred feet), so while most guys will climb at a pretty healthy rate up to the SID initial altitude of 4k, you could find an outlier climbing more slowly. Our initials (7 ish NM on extended runway centerline of approach end) are at 3k, so even at 1500 or 2500 you would be clear, again until guys start descending to 1500 ft inside of that for the overhead. Last thing is that if Fentress/KNFE is active, that can completely invalidate everything I've just said. Guys typically go down there VFR-ish at 1500 ft from NTU to NFE, and RTB at 3k on an IFR clearance......basically anywhere within 5-6 miles of NFE, and particularly the area between NTU and NFE, will be sporty if Fentress is being used. If nothing else, I'd heed this advice....I've personally had a couple close passes with Cessnas and the like who clearly didn't realize we were using NFE, and just blew through the pattern unaware, at pattern altitude, with 5-6 F/A-18's co-altitude. Well below average lookout and headwork for both those guys, but hey, it happens. Just something to be aware of if looking to transit that airspace. Hope that helps. Again, can't really speak to NGU or ORF, I really only get over that way in an airplane if I am on a commercial flight or a mil transport.

Though I'm sure the Norfolk/Chesapeake Bay tour would be cool and also do-able, I'd personally rather fly down the outer banks. Super scenic, and it looked really nice this afternoon just trolling around VFR down that way.

Very cool perspective. I'm jealous. Thanks for the valuable info.

There isn't much to see around Norfolk mainly farm fields, but it isn't very far to Lincoln or Omaha. Oh, wrong Norfolk....:)

Lol. Have my share of mid-west flying, too.

Only real things to watch for at Chambers are E-2s/C-2s doing pattern work and occasional helos at 500’ along the river. But NGU tower will let you know and keep you clear.

1000’ along the channel/river works well. If there is anyone in the pattern, they’ll probably tell to to remain a mile or two west of the piers.

I appreciate the heads up. Ideally, I'd like to keep it 1000' or lower. Gonna be studying the charts closely beforehand. Would like to give my son (and myself) another perspective of his carrier.

Back