Flying around Florida

Colin 182

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Colin 182
Hi all,

I've hired a C182T for 2 days and want to visit as many airports as possible. Starting at Albert Whitted I'd like to hear your recommendations as to where is best to visit and where maybe to avoid......

Thanks. Going this Friday/ Saturday.

Colin

Cecil Field (near Jacksonville) is beautiful. Nice long runways. Nice FBO. KVQQ. The runways are 12504 x 200 ft. Enjoy your flights....make sure the first one is 51 nm so it all counts for XC time. :)

George T. Lewis airport in Cedar Key (KCDK) is well worth a visit. Get the taxi (they'll call on the CTAF) and ride into "town" for some seafood.

John

If you like parachute jumping, Deland has a very active club that jumps virtually every day and you can sit in the restaurant and watch the jumpers. It's not all that expensive to take a first jump and get your feet wet.

If you are trying to visit as many airports as you can, then the Valiant Air Command museum may not be a reason to visit KTIX (Space Coast Regional). But if want to kill an hour or two I would recommend it. It has the Outer Marker Cafe on field as well.

If'n ya get lost fly East or West (which ever get to water quicker) until you hit the ocean. Then fly North or South until you see an airport. Look for flashing green lights and land. Flashing red don't land unless you're out of gas.

That there is all you need to know.

If'n ya get lost fly East or West (which ever get to water quicker) until you hit the ocean. Then fly North or South until you see an airport. Look for flashing green lights and land. Flashing red don't land unless you're out of gas.

I have a friend who learned to fly in Oklahoma then moved to Florida. He claims all pilots trained in Florida should have "Unable to navigate" stamped on their certificates because if you climb up to 10,000 you're guaranteed to see one coast or the other. :wink2:

John

Same thing on the Eastern Shore of MD. It's quite nice really! :) You never have to worry about getting too terribly lost as long as you have enough juice in the tanks.

If you are trying to visit as many airports as you can, then the Valiant Air Command museum may not be a reason to visit KTIX (Space Coast Regional). But if want to kill an hour or two I would recommend it. It has the Outer Marker Cafe on field as well.
Last time I was at TIX (doing spaceport licensing work) I was told Outer Marker closed a couple years ago. I didn't look around for it after that.

Last time I was at TIX (doing spaceport licensing work) I was told Outer Marker closed a couple years ago. I didn't look around for it after that.
My bad then. It's been a long time since I actually flew there. I was there for a shuttle launch last year and visited the museum. They had several aircraft in the restoration hangar including a Phantom and an F-11 Tiger!

Back