Flying and back pain, need some advice from the docs

U

Unregistered

Docs,

I had a spinal fusion (l4/l5) a few years back and I'm finding that maneuvers such as steep banks during my light sport license training are causing me pain (low back and sciatica) afterward.

The disks above and below the fusion level are pretty healthy. Am I risking damage to my back? Any suggestions for minimizing risk?

Thanks

Have you tried a back brace or binder when flying?also position of the seat may be a factor.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around why this would be happening to you, but not being a doctor (nor even particularly smart), all I can come up with is maybe compression due to G-forces pushing you into the seat. If the turn is coordinated, that's where the force would be exerted.

Which makes me wonder if maybe a fairly firm, springy, foam cushion, maybe three inches or so thick, placed under your derriere, might help a bit by absorbing some of that force.

-Rich

Without seeing your studies I cannot be sure, but would be surprised if the disks about the fusion and below the fusion are healthy. Also of less importance, but some importance is how long ago was your surgery( I know 4 to 5 years), and what pain you experience when not flying and with other activities, and when was you last study of your back. However, assuming that they are not herniated to any significant amount, my guess is that the G forces you are experiencing are causing some muscular contraction(remember you have a bad back no matter what anyone says) similar to what you would experience with doing a large number of jumping jacks or a similar motion. If it is intermittent and not associated with numbness or weakness in the legs, and is not incapacitating I would think there is nothing to worry about. If it is associated with numbness or weakness in the legs, or the pain is incapacitating, getting worse, or not getting better, time to see you back surgeon, and until then consider yourself self grounded.

If you are not exercising on a daily basis and twice on Sundays it is time to start.

I went through a spell about 7 years ago with severe back pain that radiated into my left leg. Honestly if felt like someone was shoving a red hot poker down my leg. Memory is dim but I think L1 and L2 ruptured and buldging. Did the PT route and it helped but the real relief came when the discs shrunk back to more normal size. Was on pain meds for a couple years and had to jump through many hoops to get my medical back (didn't know Dr Bruce at that time). I still have some back discomfort and sometimes it outright hurts but I have found that as long as I do my PT the back muscles stay stronger and the pain is not an issue.

A pilot friend had similar issues and he purchased a Back Joy appliance that he said greatly improved his endurance in the airplane. After about 1.5 hours in the airplane my back starts to makes it's presence known, which is the same thing he was encountering. He claimed that the Back Joy allows him to easily fly 3 to 4 hours with no back pain.

Without seeing your studies I cannot be sure, but would be surprised if the disks about the fusion and below the fusion are healthy. Also of less importance, but some importance is how long ago was your surgery( I know 4 to 5 years), and what pain you experience when not flying and with other activities, and when was you last study of your back. However, assuming that they are not herniated to any significant amount, my guess is that the G forces you are experiencing are causing some muscular contraction(remember you have a bad back no matter what anyone says) similar to what you would experience with doing a large number of jumping jacks or a similar motion. If it is intermittent and not associated with numbness or weakness in the legs, and is not incapacitating I would think there is nothing to worry about. If it is associated with numbness or weakness in the legs, or the pain is incapacitating, getting worse, or not getting better, time to see you back surgeon, and until then consider yourself self grounded.

If you are not exercising on a daily basis and twice on Sundays it is time to start.
Doug you are a neurosurgeon. But I know of a guy who ruptured his Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm with identical symptoms.

Think outside the box!

Doug you are a neurosurgeon. But I know of a guy who ruptured his Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm with identical symptoms.

Think outside the box!
Sorry was not trying to infer that your thought was incorrect or not possible, but was more commenting on the symptomatology in relationship to his spine. Certainly, part of the differential diagnosis of his symptomology is an abdominal aortic aneurysm, and depending on his age and other medical issues maybe not be even thinking outside the box. Personally I think it is less likely to be a cause of his symptoms, and since you already mentioned it as a possibility I did not think it was necessary to repeat it, especially since your word is almost golden on this board(and for good reason).

I'm trying to wrap my brain around why this would be happening to you, but not being a doctor (nor even particularly smart), all I can come up with is maybe compression due to G-forces pushing you into the seat. If the turn is coordinated, that's where the force would be exerted.

Which makes me wonder if maybe a fairly firm, springy, foam cushion, maybe three inches or so thick, placed under your derriere, might help a bit by absorbing some of that force.

-Rich

Now matter how soft the cushion, the load on a particular disc will be the same given a constant loading. May still provide some comfort by softening the bumps in general, though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back