Flying an ILS with the GPS175

TBalch

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TBalch
I had a GPS 175 installed in my 182, and I’m trying to learn how it interfaces with my KAP140 autopilot. I’d like to communicate with pilots that have this combination.

An ILS does not use GPS for an approach. An rnav approach uses GPS. I don’t thing the 175 has a nav radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can use the GPS 175 for guidance during the initial legs of an ILS approach, but you have to switch to a nav radio before you arrive at the FAF.

In my experience where there is an ILS approach there is also an RNAV approach for the same runway.

Doesn't mean they are identical, that is for sure.

I’m re-reading my post to see where I wrote that the approaches are identical. They are not, but the RNAV approach will get you into the same runway. If you have ILS equipment, get out the ILS plate. If you have a panel navigator, get out the RNAV plate.

I’m re-reading my post to see where I wrote that the approaches are identical. They are not, but the RNAV approach will get you into the same runway. If you have ILS equipment, get out the ILS plate. If you have a panel navigator, get out the RNAV plate.
My understanding is that the OP @TBalch was asking about coupling the GPS 175 with their KAP 140 autopilot for an ILS approach. The answer is that it's allowed for the approach legs before the FAF and for the missed approach leg, but you can't have it coupled to a GPS at and inside the FAF; you need either to couple it to a nav radio, or to hand fly the section from the FAF to DH.

Back