Flying Alaska 2021 (Part 2) - Weather & Final Prep

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc
Adapting for weather as appropriate, this week we’re off to Alaska! For the geographies we’ll cross, our weather analysis will prioritize visibility and ceilings, possible icing conditions, and of course summer thunderstorms. First a brief discussion of the weather tools we use… Windy for mid-term forecasts, FAA WeatherCams for current local conditions, and ForeFlight for full, formal briefings. In this episode we’ll focus on the first few flight legs northbound, with snapshots at 7 days out and 3 days out. Bill, Joe and I are super excited about this new adventure… and we hope you’ll join us onboard! Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot

and of course summer thunderstorms

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The only place in Alaska to find thunderstorms is in the very deep southeast, like the Ketchican-Juneau area, and those were very tame. However light drizzle or rain can be wide spread in the area and reduce visibility. When I lived in Kotzebue, there was a single clap of thunder over the town. The kids took off running for home, crying, and folks were calling the radio station asking if that explosion was a terrorist attack....

If you fly from Anchorage to Fairbanks, be sure to stop at McKinley National Park Airport, sometimes called the park entrance airport. Not really anything there except the train depot, but then you can tell everyone you landed in PAIN...

Otherwise it sounds like a fun trip. I will be following.!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The only place in Alaska to find thunderstorms is in the very deep southeast, like the Ketchican-Juneau area, and those were very tame. However light drizzle or rain can be wide spread in the area and reduce visibility. When I lived in Kotzebue, there was a single clap of thunder over the town. The kids took off running for home, crying, and folks were calling the radio station asking if that explosion was a terrorist attack....

If you fly from Anchorage to Fairbanks, be sure to stop at McKinley National Park Airport, sometimes called the park entrance airport. Not really anything there except the train depot, but then you can tell everyone you landed in PAIN...

Otherwise it sounds like a fun trip. I will be following.!!
Billy, big thanks for the locals view of weather up north. Much appreciated!
Cool story of the kids and the "explosion". We do plan to checkout the Denali area, however because of lodging and (even more so) rental cars, we'll be overnighting at Healy... and we'll miss the chance to land fully in "pain" :).
Again, thanks for checking in and the well-calibrated insight.
Wayne

The only place in Alaska to find thunderstorms is in the very deep southeast, like the Ketchican-Juneau area, and those were very tame.

Unfortunately that’s changing, as sea ice continues to melt, leaving more open water, which evaporates and feeds storms.

In fact, there were recent thunderstorms even north of Alaska, which was something new

https://www.ksl.com/article/5020633...-rare-arctic-lightning-storms-north-of-alaska

https://phys.org/news/2021-02-alaska-thunderstorms-triple-climate.html

Wayne,

When you're in Alaska I would highly recommend calling flight service if you've got weather or other questions. The weather briefers up here are still locals who like talking weather and they know what's going on in terms of field conditions. I am not a weather expert and they have given me some valuable insight that I otherwise would not have gotten.

Also thunderstorms are now a very real issue, but not very widespread. Thunderstorms were quite rare 20 years ago, but over the past 5-10 years they have been increasing in frequency in southcentral and interior Alaska.

From your other video I think you mentioned bringing bear spray. Either strap it to your strut/landing gear, or get a sealed box/bag to put that stuff in. If for some reason it goes off, the last place you want it going off is anywhere near the cockpit. I know some people have made PVC tubes with screw on lids. I personally use a Voile strap (rubberized strap) and put it on my landing gear step.

I'm in Anchorage if you need anything (or want to go futz around on floats for an hour or so).

Ketchikan is hot and dusty today... But supposed to have a atmospheric river event start tomorrow and last for the week.

Wayne,

When you're in Alaska I would highly recommend calling flight service if you've got weather or other questions. The weather briefers up here are still locals who like talking weather and they know what's going on in terms of field conditions. I am not a weather expert and they have given me some valuable insight that I otherwise would not have gotten.

Also thunderstorms are now a very real issue, but not very widespread. Thunderstorms were quite rare 20 years ago, but over the past 5-10 years they have been increasing in frequency in southcentral and interior Alaska.

From your other video I think you mentioned bringing bear spray. Either strap it to your strut/landing gear, or get a sealed box/bag to put that stuff in. If for some reason it goes off, the last place you want it going off is anywhere near the cockpit. I know some people have made PVC tubes with screw on lids. I personally use a Voile strap (rubberized strap) and put it on my landing gear step.

I'm in Anchorage if you need anything (or want to go futz around on floats for an hour or so).
Amox, thanks for the hint about better using Flight Services. I had heard of the strong value up here. We've also been checking out their YouTube channel which is awesome.

Very interesting, and perhaps scary, about the increase in thunderstorm activity.

And wow, naive me, I hadn't thought about bear spray at altitude... fortunately I had it in a good plastic bag, but now we've triple bagged it. Your suggestion to mount outside is being worked.

And, what a nice offer for possible assistance and the float plane offer!!... if we drop into the Anchorage area we'll be sure to check in with you. Many thanks!!
Wayne

@wayneda40 Updates??
Did you make everywhere and back? Stuck in Ketch in the rain? Eaten by a bear? Arrested by Mounties on the return trip?

@wayneda40 Updates??
Did you make everywhere and back? Stuck in Ketch in the rain? Eaten by a bear? Arrested by Mounties on the return trip?
Katherine, thanks for checking on me!
Yes, we made it "there and back". Excellent trip. A few video "shorts" of the trip here... and assuming I can get past a hard drive crash, I plan to follow with full episodes.

Quick summary:
grab8 (1).png
  • Seattle Area via Kelowna to Ketchikan went fine (showed vaccine cards; no need for COVID tests)
  • Ketchikan via Yakutat to Homer was below the overcast, within glide of the shore for ~5 hours (interesting :))
  • very nice day in Seldovia
  • Denali was not doable because of low overcast and low freezing level; diverted instead to Kodiak
  • nice time in Kodiak
  • flight Kodiak via Portage/Whittier/Yakutat to Haines was again low level and gorgeous
  • several enjoyable days in Haines and Gustavus, including a mostly clear 2 hour flight around Glacier Bay (awesome!)
  • 30+ knot tailwinds convinced us to do the Ketchikan to Friday Harbor nonstop
  • US flight legs were, surprise, very smoky
  • 44 flight hours; 6365nm
All around a very successful trip, flying-wise and leisure-wise.
Thanks all for your inputs on this great adventure!
Wayne

Last edited:
Back