Flying again...

Techsan02

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Just a little post of my cross-country for those getting back into aviation as I am...

After a 12+ year hiatus I took to the skies again Tuesday on a cross-country flight of 240nm round trip. I'll preface this by saying I have just completed my complex endorsement in a Mooney which took about two weeks (and BFR including night currency) of consistent flying, so I have limited time in the Mooney as a private SEL rated pilot. I have been lurking on here for a long time gathering as many tips as possible which helped tremendously (after reading through all the bickering and who interprets FAR/AIM the best :). I figured what better way to learn how to fly again then taking a nice longish cross-country (don't know if that's recommended, but seems like the best way). I got my license when I was 17 and never really had a healthy fear of flying. After reading many many posts on POA, I am now terrified after reading the lesson learned section. I didn't realize how much I didn't know. Maybe not terrified but I am more aware.

So, I departed KCPT Cleburne airport (D/FW area) and flew to San Antonio 5C1 (Boerne Stage). I chose that airport as suggested by several members on POA. Also, this kept me out of any class D or class C airspace in San Antonio. I flew the whole trip without flight following or using the auto-pilot. I will probably start utilizing flight following on a trip of that length, as for some reason I was freaking myself out about a mid-air collision and fearing I wouldn't see an approaching plane in time. I don't recall having that fear when I first flew. Shortly after takeoff the cloud base lowered to 4,900 so I was lower than I wanted to be, and it bounced me around pretty good (up, down, side to side). I will say Foreflight (which was not around in 2001) was a nice addition. The goal was to use pilotage as much as possible as I tracked the magenta line (tons of MOA's and restricted airspace). I realized I can't pick up/visualize the stuff on the ground after being away for so long including the airports. I also realized my flight planning left a lot of stuff out that would have been useful in the air.

After landing at my destination they had a courtesy car that other members had spoken of (and it was noticeable that someone attempted to learn how to drive stick in that vehicle). I managed to get a flat tire in the courtesy car on the way back which delayed the trip an hour. The guys from the FBO were great and came out to bring the tools I needed.

On the way back it was uneventful and picked up a good tailwind knocking off 30 minutes and flew the same route back. I am still getting a feel for the Mooney and learning engine management. I personally think it was a good idea to just set off a good distance and fly the plane. I had no major issues or problems. I can tell I have a lot to re-learn or become proficient at, but nothing a few cross-countries can't solve. I am ready to get up and go somewhere else but I need to get gas money now. Feel free to provide any tips or commentary...Maybe I should list the names of people not allowed to respond :)

That's the gist of it. Nothing too exciting, but it was a BLAST to be back in the left seat and just fly. It's a lot to take on flying somewhere you have never been and trying to figure it out, but I think I managed it just fine.

Attachments

• lake.jpg
    lake.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 26
Even with the minor problems, it sounds like it was a fun trip. Glad your back flying again.!!

I feel the same way. Doing pattern work and stalls and slow flight teaches you a lot about the plane, but I feel like I learn different things when on a longer flight and not stressed about pattern work or stalls. Just some boring level cruise gives me time to become more comfortable in the plane. And landing at new airports is always a bonus.

I feel the same way. I did my first long solo CC (3 hours) and it was very, very different, and much, much more enjoyable than most training flights where you're constantly reconfiguring, getting on a new frequency, etc. It was so peaceful to just scan for traffic, scan the instruments, take in the view, repeat. Very, very different than going from slow flight to power off stall, ground reference to power on stalls to steep turns, etc.

Nice post, I'm glad you were able to get so much benefit from POA. I agree there is a TON of resources on here once you figure out how to filter(selectively ignore) and not get discouraged by the peanut gallery. I see too many people get discouraged and leave when all they have to do is ignore and not get worked up.

Care to share any of the tips of things that would have come in handy, I'd like to see. Getting ready to do my first long XC.

Congrats on getting back! Cleburne is a nice field. Are you renting that Mooney from someone on the field, or is it yours?

The plane is actually my brother in laws. He is working on his PPL. I don't have to pay for the plane but I do pay half on other things...hangar, maint, etc. I really like Cleburne, it has a nice long runway and nice hangars.

Nice post, I'm glad you were able to get so much benefit from POA. I agree there is a TON of resources on here once you figure out how to filter(selectively ignore) and not get discouraged by the peanut gallery. I see too many people get discouraged and leave when all they have to do is ignore and not get worked up.

Care to share any of the tips of things that would have come in handy, I'd like to see. Getting ready to do my first long XC.

I'd like to think I did a good job flight planning, going over the route and looking for obstacles but I still seemed unorganized in the cockpit. I think it has to do with trying to learn a system again and get down what all I need. There was a very tall tv antenna as I was getting close to San Antonio that I did not notice on the map. My altitude going was very low at the time, but luckily I spotted visually. I had wrote down all the ATIS/ASOS/AWOS along my route but forget to add all the CTAF frequencies to monitor traffic and announce my positions as I transitioned.

I read on POA about where to mount your ipad and there were lots of pros and cons of different places. I have a suction mount that is not very practical due to it causing a blind spot. I will be getting a yoke mount. It seems the most practical. I switched the ipad to my leg and I don't like having to look down taking my eyes away from scanning for other aircraft, cause it's hard to see in your lap.

I think I would have benefited from calling my destination airfield prior and getting more information from the FBO. When I found out the landing runway as I got close to the airfield I decided to cross midfield at TPA and enter the downwind. I was headed straight in, but decided to veer out to make the cross-field downwind entry. I read like a 30 page post on POA about the best way to enter pattern. Someone was adamant about coming in on the crosswind and some like the straight in, while some prefer midfield downwind. But, only one person was in the pattern and they had taken off and left the pattern from the crosswind. All this running through my mind as I tried to find the airfield and visualize this in my head was nerve racking (foreflight helped on this big time). I guess as long as I don't cut anyone off and see and avoid I'm good to go.

I think what is going to help the most is trying to fly as many cross-countries as I can where all this becomes second nature and I can focus more on the flying.

Thanks, on my short xc it seemed like I had so much written down I don't think I was ahead enough to feel like I had time to look at any of it. I'm hoping my long xc will feel more organized. Too many checkpoints I think.

It will become second nature in a short time...:yes: Welcome back to flying and welcome to POA, aka. the aviation funny farm...:goofy::goofy::goofy: No, lots of great people here with great info...

The plane is actually my brother in laws. He is working on his PPL. I don't have to pay for the plane but I do pay half on other things...hangar, maint, etc. I really like Cleburne, it has a nice long runway and nice hangars.
Cleburne is a nice airport.

I encourage you to do more cross countries and make the most of Flight Following. And don't be afraid of the Charlie's and Bravos. The controllers in the TRACONs and Centers are real nice folk and there to help you. As others said, radio work will become second nature and as easy as talking on your cell phone.

And check out Pilots and Paws as a source of missions for the cross countries. I used that as a reason to build time and it was both fun and heart warming.

Back