Flying Adventure: Relief to Puerto Rico

ZeroPapaGolf

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
ZeroPapaGolf
Over the past few weeks, we have had the opportunity to donate some flying to get supplies down to Puerto Rico. Along with us was a PC-12 and a C-421B. Cargo in total consisted of water, shelf-stable milk, water filters, chainsaws, tools, tarps, and medicine. This was the first time I've really wanted a crew door on the Navajo. It would have been a lot easier to load the bulkier items without needing to leave a walkway.
Photo Oct 04, 6 39 21 PM (1).jpg
Photo Oct 10, 12 22 28 PM.jpg
Photo Oct 11, 3 15 04 PM.jpg

We found great support at every step along the way. Signature at PBI, Provo Air in the Turks & Caicos (fuel stop), and Million Air at Isla Grande were all eager to help and provided fuel discounts and waived fees.

Photo Oct 03, 1 52 43 PM.jpg

It was almost over before it began. What looked like simply a low strut ended up being a cracked trunnion.

Photo Sep 29, 7 54 34 AM (1).jpg

A replacement was quickly located in California, and installed by Platinum at F45. I can't say enough good about them. We had wasted nearly a full day with a shop at Lantana by the time we pulled the plug and ferried over to F45. Platinum had it swapped in 4 hours; they were like a nascar pit crew, and the shop rate was very fair. Not often you get the bill and are surprised how cheap it is.
Photo Oct 02, 3 44 42 PM.jpg

Due to the fuel stop in Provo, we had to clear customs each way. CBP was fantastic, 5 minutes and done, at every location except St Thomas. The CBP personnel at St Thomas were the most disgusting example of government power-tripping ignorance I have ever seen. The GA customs facility was severely damaged, so all must go to the cargo ramp to clear. The agents there had obviously never worked a private flight before. Their response to not knowing what to do was to scream and yell at everyone in sight, including their coworkers. If it weren't 120 degrees inside it would have been comical. We were eventually required to fill out the paperwork for a commercial flight. At that point, we said whatever, scribbled some crap down, and got out of there.

We were immediately repaid for the trouble by enjoying the VFR offshore transition from St Thomas to Isla Grande: 500' or less, follow the beach. It was some beautiful aviation.

[yt]
[/yt]

These trips would have been very difficult without onboard radar. There were substantial areas of embedded thunderstorms both near Florida and Puerto Rico on several occasions. FIS-B nexrad is useful, but doesn't cover that far south.
Photo Oct 05, 3 39 29 PM.jpg

After going back and forth through Provo without stopping, on the last trip it was time for a few hours of beach time.
Photo Oct 15, 11 03 04 AM.jpg

Overall, it was the flying experience of a lifetime. Not only was it great to go farther from the mainland than I've ever been, it was a great reason to be doing it, too. And I've got a list of beautiful spots in the Bahamas to check out in the future.

Photo Oct 11, 1 07 58 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Photo Oct 03, 3 51 03 PM (1).jpg
    Photo Oct 03, 3 51 03 PM (1).jpg
    234 KB · Views: 32
Great write-up. I got my folks still duking it out down there. Things are not good down there, especially in the rural municipalities. I was inclined to get them up here, but they're financially and emotionally anchored down there, much against my wishes. It is still not a sure thing if I'm going to bring the kiddo to them this Xmas, depending on the status of the electric grid and medical services at that time. Lots of family tension as a result, but I gotta put my kid's welfare first.

The footage across the NE corridor of the island brings me back as always, SJU being my hometown and all. I always thought I would go back part-time after my immediate family was financially established, but it's clear after the govt's response to Maria, that my childhood and formative home will only be part of my history and not my future.

One of the things I had planned to do in the recent past was the trek to PR via FL. But the rather limited range and speed of my piston can plus the fees at Provo were an eye-opener. Are they still charging upwards of 300 bucks in fees for a simple fuel stop? When I ran the numbers it really soured the fun factor of doing the hop. Too much PITA-to-fun ratio in a piddly Arrow. In a Navajo though, piece of cake.

Are they still charging upwards of 300 bucks in fees for a simple fuel stop? When I ran the numbers it really soured the fun factor of doing the hop. Too much PITA-to-fun ratio in a piddly Arrow. In a Navajo though, piece of cake.

It’s not quite that bad, but close. They list a ramp fee of $65, landing fee $25, air navigation fee $5, and customs costs $115. Overnight parking appears to be 24/day. For us they waived the ramp fee and we didn’t ever stay overnight. God help you if you come in on a weekend, though; Her Majesty gets a $90 overtime fee for customs. Avgas was $5.50.

Back