Flying a Stearman

Cost is definitely an issue. But it would keep me flying. In the meantime I found another club with a Warrior. Much cheaper option but less fun.

If anything getting your tailwheel and doing some solo time in the stearman is a must do for any pilot worth his wings ;)

Any basic aerobatic training they do in it?

We are 3.7 hours into my tailwheel training in the Cub. I am surprised at how heavy the right rudder is and how heavy the stick is to pull full aft. But I am weakling to begin with.

Takeoffs clicked better today when I stopped staring at the left window. Hard habit to break when you aren't used to such poor forward visibility. It's a hoot to fly something that you can never see the gauges.

Landings are still tricky. At this point I much prefer 3 pointers to wheel landings but both still suck. Haven't killed us yet or put the plane out of commission. Weather has us down tgis afternoon and may wipe out tomorrow as well. :(

Landings are starting to click today. I might start knowing what I am doing soon.

By the way, I don't hear much ATITPPA in Illinois where I live but it is constant here in Central Florida. What the heck?

I was going to get a tail wheel endorsement in a Stearman, but someone put it in the trees a few days before I was scheduled...:(

Did the trees survive the encounter, the Stearman is a stout bird?

Got 1.7 in the Stearman this morning. All the nerves I had about taxiing and keeping the tail straight on takeoff was a bunch of malarkey. That plane is solid. Forward vis on landing is a challenge. Going up again this afternoon.

My logbook now includes a tailwheel endorsement, a high horsepower endorsement, and 4.1 hours in a Stearman (plus 7 in the Cub). What a great week of flying!

Back