Flying a PA-28-180

Being signed off on two different types of planes, and at two different FBOs just means you'll be spending lots of money to keep current or flying a signoff before you go anywhere. It does give you more options when you want to go flying though.
Enjoy flying the Piper. I think they're fun.

HA! This is exactly why I don't have more time in '47H! Well, that and the 40 minute difference in travel time getting to the plane...

Now that Dustin is converted from high wing to low wing the stage is set for the final step (and this is MOST important B4 you buy)...find someone with a Grumman Tiger and go for a flight...:D.

(where is the pot-stirring smiley?)

Chris

Now that Dustin is converted from high wing to low wing the stage is set for the final step (and this is MOST important B4 you buy)...find someone with a Grumman Tiger and go for a flight...:D.

(where is the pot-stirring smiley?)

Chris

Why is that an important step? Whats wrong with a Tiger?

So noted. Many low-wing pilots seem to struggle with similar complexities.:lol:
Is this even possible? I can't seem to operate at anything less than 75% DAveR

Is this even possible? I can't seem to operate at anything less than 75% DAveR

climb high enough and you will be able to.
:wink2:

Why is that an important step? Whats wrong with a Tiger?

I think you mis-undertake me young Blade...B)

Now that you have gotten the wing in the correct place you must endevor to remove all that aluminum surrounding you and replace it with Plexiglas to better enjoy the sky that surrounds you, You need to sample the light control feel that only a Grummie can give you. And you might like seeing how fast 180 horsepressure can propel you thru the Heavens...:cornut:

I won't even mention the coolness (literally) of the sliding canopy!

I'm just pullin' your chain Dustin. Congrats on getting checked out in the Piper!

Chris
(who owns a biplane and thus doesn't have a dog in the HW/LW brawl)

Last edited:
The extra power is had was awesome. I liked how much easier it was to control in Flight, and on the Ground.

Keep in mind they made 180 hp 172s. Fly one of those and you'll see that power wise, they really are pretty similar. After that, it just comes down to high wing/low wing debate.

I used to be a strictly low-wing person, but some of the planes that I currently lust for (Twin Commander comes to mind) are high wings. They ain't all bad.

I was a low-wing guy, until I got the 182. There is more interesting stuff to be seen below than above.

I was a throttle-quadrant guy, until I got the 182. There is something unsophisticated-looking about the push/pulls, but they sure are easier to adjust. Spinning the vernier for mixture is waaaaaay better than any mixture lever I've worked with.

So, now I'm back to a low wing with a throttle quadrant in the Matrix. What does that tell you?? That hi/low push-pull/quadrant just doesn't matter. At least to me. Maybe what I need is a P210 Silver Eagle!!!

So, now I'm back to a low wing with a throttle quadrant in the Matrix. What does that tell you?? That hi/low push-pull/quadrant just doesn't matter. At least to me. Maybe what I need is a P210 Silver Eagle!!!

It's a bit smaller than a PA-46, isn't it? But that would be a sweet package...

The 340 conversion those O&N guys are working on is pretty neat, too. I got to see it about a year and a half ago at their headquarters. That'd be my pick. :)

Back