Flying a drone for business/commercial purposes

kevmor99

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
kevmor99
I've been trying to find more info about flying drones for business, the closest I've found is:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/faq/#qn4

It seems you have to have a pilot certificate and obtain an experimental airworthiness certificate for the drone? They don't seem to mention size, what if it's only a foot wide? Or 4 ft. wide?

What if you're using a drone with a camera to take photos of real estate for a business, for example?

Basically, you are not really allowed to do anything with regards to making money with it. What would happen if you did? There really hasn't been a case yet to judge the reaction on, however there are a lot of real estate agents and yacht brokers employing these devices to commercial ends, and I'm not hearing about any issues. I think the FAA hopes that somebody takes everything 500' and below out of their lap. It can only be a nightmare.

If you don't have a pilots license there isn't much the FAA can do.

Personally I wouldn't try to play the drone game, as my FAA licenses are what keep food on the table.

I don't think there is much enforcement for drones, worst case maybe some piddly fine or you loose your drone?

Just don't do anything really stupid, like flying over a airport or seeing how close you can get to people in a stadium and I doubt anyone will really care.

Yep, if you use common sense and don't cause a problem and maybe use some courtesy, you won't have an issue.

The special airworthiness certificate should talk to size. A sUAS is under 55 lbs.

There are currently no rules. The NTSB has said that model aircraft operators may be prosecuted for violations of 91.13, which in itself is a conundrum because anything flying below 500 ft is considered "reckless and careless", but the FAA recommends that all models, including drones, stay below 400 ft.
To date, no one has been prosecuted for commercial flight with a small UAS. There has been one, only one operator charged with a violation of 91.13, but that case was dismissed last week with a fine of $1100 and no admission of guilt.
If you don't fly while stupid and don't attract attention to your operations, the FAA would not likely notice you.

Back