Flying a cub

Melissa2983298

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Melissa
Hey Everyone, I’m going to be flying in a friend’s cub tomorrow and I’m a bit on the bigger side. I’ve been losing weight but am about 5’2 and 220. Am I going to have an issue with the seatbelts? I’ve never flown in a cub so not sure what to expect. Thanks!

It all depends on the seatbelts. You wouldn’t have any problem in mine.

Congrats on your weight loss, there is only one way to find out. Don't worry about it, have fun flying it, I've always wanted to fly one.

A lot of Cubs are “fat” too. Make sure y’all are in Weight & Balance. I’ve been asked to fly overweight more than once… it’s not a good risk to take, as that can cause structural issues or worse.

A lot of Cubs are “fat” too. Make sure y’all are in Weight & Balance. I’ve been asked to fly overweight more than once… it’s not a good risk to take, as that can cause structural issues or worse.
I’m a Cub guy and I have no idea what you’re talking about. One of the most interesting qualities of a Cub is they feel light even at gross. A 220# pilot is pretty average.

My Cubs fly better with a 225# passenger than solo. Takeoff is a wee bit longer but Cubs are magic in how they fly with a load.

I’m a Cub guy and I have no idea what you’re talking about. One of the most interesting qualities of a Cub is they feel light even at gross. A 220# pilot is pretty average.
Well, I've probably got 500 hours in 4-6 Cubs and a plenty of that was flight training. Yes, they're tough, but they can also be subjected to wear and tear. And they may "feel" light, but they don't climb light if they are A65 Cubs and close to gross.
Even Cubs aren't invincible.

As long as the plane is not over gross weight, balance is not really an issue, unless you are dealing with a huge disparity in weight front to back.

Back