flygarmin website seems to not be working

Silvaire

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Silvaire
I recently updated the database on my GPS296. I don't keep it current but like to update it at least once a year as it's a backup but right after I updated last month they made a major change to the SFO class B so I decided to update again. This time although it says "North US/Can Aviation Data 1810" I have absolutely no aviation data shown on my map. No airports, no airspace, nothing. So I tried to reload it but now when I sign in to Flygarmin and click "Devices" I just get the spinning wheel "Loading..." icon and it never comes up. Same goes when I click on Cart. They did take my money though and sent me a confirmation email.

Any ideas?

BTW - this has nothing to do with Declutter or any other settings I pretty much tried everything on the device.

EDIT: Disregard. I plugged into my laptop and was able to get through the process although still had a few glitches as the 296 kept turning off during the update and I had to manually turn it back on.

The second snafu was that I had downloaded "North US/Can" which doesn't include California or any of the states in the southern half of the US so I had to download "United States"

I'll say this, the Garmin website s about the most confusing user site I've ever had the pleasure to get lost in.

Last edited:
Pretty simple for me. I log on, select which registered device I want to update, and the website provides a menu of updates that are available for my service subscription. Select, load onto an SD card, and plug the card into the G3X.

Right but like I said, it wasn’t working. I had just done an update a few weeks ago and had no problem (using the same computer) but yesterday it just froze up and then kept turning the unit off when I was finally able to get to the download link. It’s never done that before. Maybe Garmin is just trying to prod me into upgrading but sheesh, practically everyone has an old GPSx96 hanging around, the things are like tanks - they never quit working.

Do I understand your GPS powered off while it is updating via USB? That will likely trash the update. When updating portables, you need a full battery or full external power. If external power is supplied via USB I would used a powered hub as computer ports often cannot deliver enough charging current.

I just logged in, no noticeable issues. I'll say this, last time I had updates pending, one of them wouldn't load, kept saying updates pending even though I downloaded it. I emailed them, they pushed it out and I was able to download/install the updated database after that.

I'll say this, the Garmin website s about the most confusing user site I've ever had the pleasure to get lost in.

You've never had the "pleasure" of working with King's Wingman Services site, have you?

I do NOT miss the ol' KLN 89B we tore out. Good riddance.

... I'll say this, last time I had updates pending, one of them wouldn't load, kept saying updates pending even though I downloaded it...

That happened to me last time I did an update (the one before this) I had to wait a couple of days even though they took my money right away.

As for the powering off during the update - yes it would come up with an error each time. What I ended up doing was, as soon as it went blank I turned it back on manually and it went through to completion. I can tell it's loaded because I can see the SFO Bravo changes on the map now. That's mainly what I was after.

That happened to me last time I did an update (the one before this) I had to wait a couple of days even though they took my money right away....

I'm not talking about payment. this was just one of the ongoing database updates you do AFTER you purchase. sounds like you're a little bitter with garmin though.

Are you using Garmin's webupdater? I haven't had a 296 for years but I remember being frustrated with updating those. I probably need to update the Aera in the Cessna. It's been about 6 years but I rarely look at that GPS. It may be overdue. :) flyGarmin's site has been really simple for me, but I maintain an annual subscription. Open the page, click on my airplane in the upper right, and it tells me exactly what needs to be updated. Select, download to an SD card, plug the card into the G3X, done.

Back