Flyby Causes Panic

I quit trying to reason the actions of these 6 billion primates.

On my last commercial flight 1/2 of the passengers were clapping when we touched down. I couldn't figure out what they were clapping for. Seemed like an ordinary landing. Do they clap after they park their cars?

I have had passengers applaud before in some villages in Alaska. They were just really glad to get home.

I quit trying to reason the actions of these 6 billion primates.

On my last commercial flight 1/2 of the passengers were clapping when we touched down. I couldn't figure out what they were clapping for. Seemed like an ordinary landing. Do they clap after they park their cars?
Was it bumpy on the way in? Glad to be on the ground?

I got home just in time to catch one of the networks (NBC?) nightly news covering the story. People on the ground were terrified because, you know, terrorists and German pilots that fly into mountains. The pax were having a great time because they'd been told what to expect so they all had their cameras out.

Overheard on approach.

ATC: Lufthansa 11, contact approach on xxx,xx

Lufthansa 11: Why do we always haff to speak English?!

Unknown: Because you lost the war, Gustav.

Cheers

I banged a CRJ900 on landing. Hard. No way I was opening the cockpit door. FA told me a pax in 1st class asked, "did we just get shot down".

I banged a CRJ900 on landing. Hard. No way I was opening the cockpit door. FA told me a pax in 1st class asked, "did we just get shot down".
It’s okay to be done flying when ya land. Ya prolly don’t wanna be done with the taxi when ya land...

It's been on the national news two night in a row, this dangerous flyby that put so many people in danger. :rolleyes2:

Was it bumpy on the way in? Glad to be on the ground?

I don't think it was.

Still don't get the clapping. I suspect it's triggered by the same thing that causes people to be superstitious. Fire, bad - clap, good.

On another flight I spent 2 hours sitting next to a lady sweating bullets. She literally prayed while holding beads for the whole two hours. Don't these people realize that thousands of planes take off and land every day?

On another flight I spent 2 hours sitting next to a lady sweating bullets. She literally prayed while holding beads for the whole two hours. Don't these people realize that thousands of planes take off and land every day?

I've sat next to people like that too. One lady grabbed onto my arm and held tight pretty much the whole approach and landing - I had nail marks along my arm for the next couple of hours. Like any pilot I don't understand it, but I also think it's not something that can be dismissed just because it's irrational. After all, cockroaches still send shivers down my spine, even though I know they pose no risk to me at all. ;)

I was dead heading on Alaska Airlines once between Minneapolis and Anchorage. We were going through some moderate turbulence, and the lady sitting next to me had a death grip on my upper arm with both hands. As soon as I saw she was scared, I started talking to her, trying to divert her attention. She apologized for grabbing on, and I assured her that if it makes her feel a little better then hold on.

I tried explaining that the turbulence was caused by politicians talking hot air all at once, but then she remembered that we were over rural Canada and that there were no politicians around.

By the time we got out of moderate and into constant light she was relaxed, but still held onto my arm until about an hour before landing. Then on descent there was a couple really big bumps, and back to my arm she went until we landed.

My wife used to be a very nervous commercial flier, turb bothered her a lot. Then she got a load of GA turb, and now commercial doesn't bother her at all. Heh.

I was dead heading on Alaska Airlines once between Minneapolis and Anchorage. We were going through some moderate turbulence, and the lady sitting next to me had a death grip on my upper arm with both hands. As soon as I saw she was scared, I started talking to her, trying to divert her attention. She apologized for grabbing on, and I assured her that if it makes her feel a little better then hold on.

I tried explaining that the turbulence was caused by politicians talking hot air all at once, but then she remembered that we were over rural Canada and that there were no politicians around.

By the time we got out of moderate and into constant light she was relaxed, but still held onto my arm until about an hour before landing. Then on descent there was a couple really big bumps, and back to my arm she went until we landed.

I was nonrev'g home one night from ATL and storms and bumps most of the way between ATL and BHM. Very attractive black woman grab my arm for almost the entire flight. I didn't mind much as she had a low cut blouse on and she enhanced it immensely. Hey I was in uniform, just doing my part for the paying customers. :D

If the pilot is standing there as I deplane I always give him a thumbs up and say "great landing", because I am unharmed and presumably so is the plane, no matter what kind of landing it was. I just hope they don't think I'm being sarcastic if it was imperfect because I'm not. I'm always sincerely appreciative to be alive and whole at the end of a flight.

If the pilot is standing there as I deplane I always give him a thumbs up and say "great landing", because I am unharmed and presumably so is the plane, no matter what kind of landing it was. I just hope they don't think I'm being sarcastic if it was imperfect because I'm not. I'm always sincerely appreciative to be alive and whole at the end of a flight.

If they had banged it on like I did that day, if they even open the door, and you say that, they'd probably think you're commenting about it. But if they earn it one way or the other it goes with the territory.

Not saying I wouldn't appreciate the kind words. Thoughtful of you.

Last edited:
As we were deplaning a flight my wife sincerely told the pilots "good landing" they immediately looked at each other. Both had the same look on their faces, I couldn't figure out what that look meant.

I refuse to tell them "good landing". I prefer "good preflight". Seems like that's just as important.

You Americans will clap for anything, it seems :p

We also thank everyone for no apparent reason. Sell me a hamburger or taxi me to the airport and you get a "thank you". I've heard people thank a cop for writing them a citation.

I was looking for the video on YouTube. Came across this one which was celebrating some interesting landings.

These shots were taken at the Funchal Airport (FNC) on Madeira, Portugal.

We visited Madeira several weeks ago because my son did an internship there. It's out in the middle of nowhere in the Atlantic Ocean, about 450 miles southwest of Portugal. The winds absolutely howl across the airport at constantly changing speed and direction, but usually at about a 45 degree angle.

Surprisingly, it looks like some of those shots were taken with a drone flying around the approach end of the runway.

FNC.jpg

We also thank everyone for no apparent reason. Sell me a hamburger or taxi me to the airport and you get a "thank you". I've heard people thank a cop for writing them a citation.

I haven't gone that far.....:lol::lol::lol:

That would be a Canadian.

Hmm, I experienced more clapping in the rest of the world than here in this self-centered world.
In the US, air travel is pretty much taken for granted. (not complaining, merely observing) So clapping after a flight is not exactly common.
In other parts of the world, people rarely get to fly and consider it more of a privilege. And if the captain gets them on the ground safely, he deserves a round of applause.

Back