Flyboard Air

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
http://www.flixxy.com/the-incredible-flyboard-air.htm

Is it an airplane? Is it a drone? How do we license it? Do the required distances from structures and people apply? Sport, Helicopter, or Fixed Wing Private ticket? FAA heads are exploding as we speak.

Very impressive. Sounds and acts like a turbine and it has enough fuel onboard to fly for at least 5 minutes.

Why is it that you feel the need to liscense anything and everything?

Why is it that you feel the need to liscense anything and everything?

I was speaking in the 3rd person, for the FAA. Also see: facetious. I keep forgetting, sometimes it's better to just STFU with guys like you around. Christ Almighty, there's always someone with nothing better to do than **** on a thread.

I don't think the FAA will care about this.

It can only fly for 5 minutes. It may claim a ceiling of 10k feet, but with 5 minutes of fuel, no one is going to use it above 50 feet and probably exclusively over water.

Even then, it's a novelty. If they started selling tens of thousands of these, then the FAA might lay some regs down.

I don't think the FAA will care about this.

It can only fly for 5 minutes. It may claim a ceiling of 10k feet, but with 5 minutes of fuel, no one is going to use it above 50 feet and probably exclusively over water.

Even then, it's a novelty. If they started selling tens of thousands of these, then the FAA might lay some regs down.

You're probably right, but I never thought they would get involved in RC Aircraft (now called drones) regulation either. The first time an airline crew sees one a half mile off the localizer, the alarmists will be screaming for the FAA to do something.

Even if it could actually reach 10,000', I definitely wouldn't want to be on it at that altitude. I was never any good with skateboards.

Last edited:
Flyboard is too fast--Part 103 is limited to 55 knots straight and level max speed.

He'd have to put a speed limiter on it. Otherwise, it becomes an S-LSA helicopter, and I don't believe that device would ever meet ASTM standards.

Pack my chute and take off from my driveway up to 10k ft, and float back down on chute once power ended. Or instead of floating home, go visiting. Cool.

It sounds like it's turbine powered and saw some heat waves. Turbine powered drone?

Regulate, schmegulate. I wonder if back in the day when Orville and Wilbur took flight if there were beings around that even thought "hey I wonder if that might get regulated", let alone "I'm gonna regulate that". Nowadays many of us, me included, jump to the consideration of regulation right off the bat. Makes me want to puke.

Pack my chute and take off from my driveway up to 10k ft, and float back down on chute once power ended. Or instead of floating home, go visiting. Cool.

It sounds like it's turbine powered and saw some heat waves. Turbine powered drone?

Regulate, schmegulate. I wonder if back in the day when Orville and Wilbur took flight if there were beings around that even thought "hey I wonder if that might get regulated", let alone "I'm gonna regulate that". Nowadays many of us, me included, jump to the consideration of regulation right off the bat. Makes me want to puke.

Unfortunately, I no longer wonder if new technology will be regulated. And like you, I understand how it destroys creativity. We therefore stagnate and leave the innovation to the French, or the citizens of the UAE.

Back