FlyBaby Owners: Question about inspection access

valittu

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Marvin
I've been doing my due diligence, reading NTSB reports on FlyBaby accidents due to airframe failure. Most are wing wire failures, but I came across this 1991 NTSB report about a Flybaby airframe that failed during a flight where the investigators concluded that:

THE INADEQUATE DESIGN BY THE MANUFACTURER TO PROVIDE FOR ADEQUATE PROTECTION FROM MOISTURE ACCUMULATION IN THE FORM OF DRAIN HOLES. CONTRIBUTING FACTORS WERE THE DETERIORATION (WOOD ROT) OF THE WING SPAR ATTACH AND THE LACK OF INSPECTION ACCESS.

The avoidance of moisture accumulation is easy enough to achieve. There's data on designing drainage in the plane and hangaring it would eliminate most moisture accumulation concerns. I do have two questions though:

1. Does the design include or has it been modified to meet the need for inspection access?

2. How do you guys inspect your planes for wood rot and other internal conditions?

I can't image how one could consider buying a flying plane or even a work in progress that was covered and had no inspection access.

I've been doing my due diligence, reading NTSB reports on FlyBaby accidents due to airframe failure. Most are wing wire failures, but I came across this 1991 NTSB report about a Flybaby airframe that failed during a flight where the investigators concluded that:

THE INADEQUATE DESIGN BY THE MANUFACTURER TO PROVIDE FOR ADEQUATE PROTECTION FROM MOISTURE ACCUMULATION IN THE FORM OF DRAIN HOLES. CONTRIBUTING FACTORS WERE THE DETERIORATION (WOOD ROT) OF THE WING SPAR ATTACH AND THE LACK OF INSPECTION ACCESS.

The avoidance of moisture accumulation is easy enough to achieve. There's data on designing drainage in the plane and hangaring it would eliminate most moisture accumulation concerns. I do have two questions though:

1. Does the design include or has it been modified to meet the need for inspection access?

2. How do you guys inspect your planes for wood rot and other internal conditions?

I can't image how one could consider buying a flying plane or even a work in progress that was covered and had no inspection access.
Inspection access depends on the builder, not the design itself. The wing is fabric covered, and inspection ports are easily added during the covering process. My Fly Baby has ~4 under each wing, and the reinforcements are in place for another four (I'd just need to cut out the ring, and install a removable inspection panel).

Moisture accumulation is not an "everyday" event; it happens when a wooden airplane is left exposed to the elements. As I've mentioned in the past, Fly Babies can be purchased cheaply enough that individuals might buy them who cannot afford to hangar them.

Fabric-covered airplanes should also have drains installed underneath the wings at the trailing edges.

2. Fly Baby airframes are (mostly) easy to inspect for rot...easier, in fact, that many production-type wooden-winged aircraft. Fold the wings, check the spar butts for rot using a pocket knife. Remove the seat, check the spar carry-through.

The tail section may also suffer rot, and since it's got plywood on both sides, it's a bit harder to check for. My plane developed rot in the lower fill block in the stabilizer spar (the aftmost piece in the fuselage), the first sign was the tailwheel attach bracket developing play. I was able to scrape out the rotted block and epoxy in a replacement.

The number of Fly Baby owners on POA is relatively low; you might consider joining the Fly Baby Yahoo mailing list or FB^2, the Fly Baby Facebook page.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/flybabylist/info

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1387277214824184/

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
Thanks Ron!
I have joined the Yahoo group and will probably check out the Facebook page as well. I've been feeding on your site for a while now and since I get such good information on the Flybaby from you, Jesse and Tinerj, that I always come here first. I truly appreciate your help.

The best way to inspect for wood rot is with your nose, it has that sickly sweet anti-freeze type smell. One way to help prevent and treat rot is to flush with salt water.

I have these drains on my plane

1754.jpg

http://www.univair.com/hardware/grommets/an231-4-drain-grommet-seaplane/

28 cents a pop

Back