Flybaby is flying again

Wouldn't an old leaky magneto capacitor, internal to the magneto, create a pile of noise?

This is how mine is wired, the ground lug to the airframe and also grounded at the engine.
Keep in mind that the airframe in this case is made of wood.... grounding to it doesn't do much.

Ron Wanttaja

Wouldn't an old leaky magneto capacitor, internal to the magneto, create a pile of noise?

Internal to the mag, means it is inside of a metal case.

Slicks have a cap contained with in the case and you hook the P lead to it when you attach the wire.

Attachments

• DSCN2299.jpg
    DSCN2299.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 9
Keep in mind that the airframe in this case is made of wood.... grounding to it doesn't do much.

Ron Wanttaja

When the Bendix type mag switch is wired correctly it is its own complete circuit for each mag containing the positive and negative side of the circuit, by using the shielding as the negative.

IOWs it uses the shielding to short circuit the P lead post to the case it self.

Internal to the mag, means it is inside of a metal case.

Slicks have a cap contained with in the case and you hook the P lead to it when you attach the wire.

Did not answer the question....

On mine grounding the P leads and using a big capacitor on the 12v bus seemed to make a difference

RT

I think at this point 80% of the noise has been cut. Now I just need to check grounds and perhaps give those magneto filters a shot.

Anyone care to explain how this should ideally all be grounded so I can confirm mine is all right:

Wooden airplane
Antenna in fuselage
Handheld radio in cockpit
Battery powered electric system in cockpit

The more detail the better. I've heard and read different things about how the p lead ground and shielding should be grounded. Basically how exactly should the p lead and mag switch be wired?

Last edited:
Four strips of 1/2" 1 mil copper tape works every bit as well and adds negligible weight.

Jim

Jim, is your antenna book still available anywhere? I bought a copy several years ago and it is great. I occasionally recommend it to people who are building their own antennas or working on their radios, but I don't know where they can order a copy anymore.

A single Nicro swage holding the wires on? I would too.

FAA says a single nicopress is all you need and you have full cable strength. Accepted practice in their eyes at least.

If I had a reasonably safe way to do it i would love to build up a replica of what I have and see what it takes to break it.

FAA says a single nicopress is all you need and you have full cable strength. Accepted practice in their eyes at least.

If I had a reasonably safe way to do it i would love to build up a replica of what I have and see what it takes to break it.

there is a ships rigging company in Anacortes Wa that will do the test for ya.

if you are really into that google them. "Northwest rigging"

I had the opportunity to use a hydraulic pull tester at the school I attended for A&P. I fabricated a complete set of cables for a Cessna 150 while there, including a few dummy nicopress, and none failed the pull test. If you use the correct tooling, hardware and process, its pretty much idiot proof.

Tensioning while installing them in pairs to make sure they share the load is more important than worrying about the strength when you assembled the cables correctly.

Last edited:
:lol:

You have a truck? Bolt one end to the foundation stud in the concrete of a building or something and start pulling like a drunken redneck :lol:

Could easily make a loop or something and use a hydraulic jack of some sort. If you want to cruise ebay for a strain gauge, there ya go.

:lol:

You have a truck? Bolt one end to the foundation stud in the concrete of a building or something and start pulling like a drunken redneck :lol:

Yes but it's a Ford I would end up ripping the whole damn thing in half.

there is a ships rigging company in Anacortes Wa that will do the test for ya.

if you are really into that google them. "Northwest rigging"

There's plenty of rigging shops near him that can run the test as well, but what the test doesn't simulate is bouncing and the long term effect of multiple repeated shock loads. All they do is a straight pull to failure.

There's plenty of rigging shops near him that can run the test as well, but what the test doesn't simulate is bouncing and the long term effect of multiple repeated shock loads. All they do is a straight pull to failure.

You must have missed the picture of the old wires & turnbuckles, I wouldn't worry about the new ones.

You must have missed the picture of the old wires & turnbuckles, I wouldn't worry about the new ones.

Oh, I'm not worried about them, I said that mostly in jest. The reason I suggested using roller swaged ends is drag. Those assemblies are dirty as hell.

Previous owner of my Fly Baby did exactly that. I'll see if I can find the test report....

Ron Wanttaja

Oh, I'm not worried about them, I said that mostly in jest. The reason I suggested using roller swaged ends is drag. Those assemblies are dirty as hell.
Heh.

Heh heh.

Heh heh HA HA HA HA HA HA... !:)

Extra drag. On a Fly Baby. Who'd a thunk it?

Standard engine-out procedure on a Fly Baby is to throw a brick out and fly formation with it.... Though I'm guessing the canopy on Jesse's bird probably improves on the drag situation, a bit (even if it makes it tougher to throw the brick).

Ron Wanttaja

Back