Fly2lunch

I see that the google map will take you the correct place. That should be enough. Thanks.

Unable to log in due to a captcha issue (Microsoft Edge). I get the "Select all images with" and only the top of 3 squares is visible.
Issue does not exist if using an InPrivate window.

Unable to log in due to a captcha issue (Microsoft Edge). I get the "Select all images with" and only the top of 3 squares is visible. Issue does not exist if using an InPrivate window.

Strange. The site does not require users to log in. The site also doesn't have captcha configured. The site is HTTP (not HTTPS). I'll look into it further but my guess is Edge doesn't like HTTP. Please give another browser a try if you have access to one.

Site worked fine for me. The reviews posted on the bottom of the page are current, but airport info is old...2010.

I added a bunch. When doing a search for places within a certain distance from an airport is there a way to get the distance of each airport in the results?

Shouldn't be a problem when finding a restaurant from one airport. Will be problematic when searching with a course. I'll add it to the enhancement list.

I've put in several restaurants around Maryland's eastern shore + waypoint cafe out in KCMA (Camarillo, CA). About only suggestion is to add an entry to put a URL to the restaurant's website. However, KISS does makes it simple to enter restaurants.

To be safe, always call the restaurant before takeoff...just because it was open yesterday is no guarantee that all the help showed up for work today.

...only suggestion is to add an entry to put a URL to the restaurant...
For now, put the restaurant URL in a comment if Google Maps doesn't have it. GM usually has it along with phone number, hours, etc. In beta testing we decided to only allow GM links because, since the site is wide open, someone could enter a malicious link.

For now, put the restaurant URL in a comment if Google Maps doesn't have it. GM usually has it along with phone number, hours, etc. In beta testing we decided to only allow GM links because, since the site is wide open, someone could enter a malicious link.
Good point!

Added my local one.
Start a new thread and get more input!

At least initially, I'm hosting this on a machine inside my home network. I'm not a network/security expert, but the sound of opening a port through the firewall and putting a welcome mat out to the world is worrisome. I'll look into how much it costs to host, again, once I think this thing might have legs.

...that's definitely worrisome. I have a Dell 740xd racked at OpenColo in Santa Clara and could happily spin you up a host VM of your choosing for this, no charge.

...that's definitely worrisome. I have a Dell 740xd racked at OpenColo in Santa Clara and could happily spin you up a host VM of your choosing for this, no charge.
Thanks for the offer. I just might take you up on it. I'm close to getting this thing running on a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB as I don't see more than single digit simultaneous users for a long while. The next task was supporting HTTPS via Cloudflare. I'll need to research/understand the risks of someone accessing other machines on my home network if my port forward only goes to the RPi and the only thing the RPi has on it is this app. Or you could enlighten me if the answer is quick :)

Thanks for the offer. I just might take you up on it. I'm close to getting this thing running on a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB as I don't see more than single digit simultaneous users for a long while. The next task was supporting HTTPS via Cloudflare. I'll need to research/understand the risks of someone accessing other machines on my home network if my port forward only goes to the RPi and the only thing the RPi has on it is this app. Or you could enlighten me if the answer is quick :)

I'm not the network guru, so no enlightment to offer -- but in your scenario I would probably just consider the RPi to be toxic kryptonite and throw it into a DMZ on your router if it offers that feature. Don't link it in with your home LAN, just SSH/SFTP to it to make code/config updates. :)

I don't muck with cloudflare, although I should. I use nginx to host my SSL certs, then route internally over HTTP to the various VM hosts I have. Then certbot has a single place to do its updates for a few dozen sites.

And yeah, I think I get a few hundred thousand "knocks" by low-rent "hax0r" script kiddies daily on my firewall. It's sort of mesmerizing to watch sometimes.

Agree. You are mostly safe with port forwarding not exposing the rest of your infrastructure. If the RPi gets owned, all that safety evaporates.

I’m a Let’s Encrypt sort of person, because free.

I'm seeing some errors in the server logs but I cannot tell what's going on. If you receive an error, please let me know what you did immediately prior to seeing it.

It does not work for me.

I tried to Find Restaurant at KLNS. Not found. OK, tried to add. I put in KLNS, hit Retrieve Airport. NOTHING, NADA.

BTW, I also tried to Find airports with restaurants within 1000 miles of KLNS and it still came up with nothing.

It does not work for me.

I tried to Find Restaurant at KLNS. Not found. OK, tried to add. I put in KLNS, hit Retrieve Airport. NOTHING, NADA.

BTW, I also tried to Find airports with restaurants within 1000 miles of KLNS and it still came up with nothing.

Do not use the ‘K’, as it states on the website. Also, if no one has entered a restaurant yet, there won’t be one when you search until one has been entered.

It does not work for me.

I just entered LNS and it shows two restaurants.

I get this every time I try to access the site:

View attachment 106670

Does this mean the site is down, or is the problem on my end? I can still access pages deeper in the site from my history, but they may be cached. It always felt slightly abandoned.. maybe the hosting didn't get paid?

I loved the concept and functionality of this website and was always disappointed more people didn't use & update it. Are they any alternatives to find restaurants on airport or very close?
It appears to be back up and running.

I like this, thanks to mahneuvers. It's in its infancy and over time the database will grow but it's at least a good effort to resurrect the hundred dollar hamburger.

@Sluggo63 You can now enter URL's like https://goo.gl/maps...

@soarohio Miles away is now displayed.

I have this this running on the RPi now but for the life of me I cannot get Tomcat to accept connections from external networks :(

I see the miles column but no actual mileage is populated. I tried adding another restaurant to see if it added it to a new one but it didn't:

upload_2022-8-6_16-0-14.png

I see the miles column but no actual mileage is populated....
It will be zero for on field restaurants. Search w/in 200 miles of CRE and it will make more sense.

EDIT: Actually, what I said above isn't true. Any restaurant associated to an airport will display 0 miles if you're searching on that airport. What Miles shows you is how far away another airport is w/ restaurants.

It will be zero for on field restaurants. Search w/in 200 miles of CRE and it will make more sense.

none of these are on field. if I search 0 miles from JQF, I get what I showed above. if I search 100 miles from JQF, this is what I get, with the same ones showing 0 miles:

upload_2022-8-6_16-8-55.png

none of these are on field. if I search 0 miles from JQF, I get what I showed above. if I search 100 miles from JQF, this is what I get, with the same ones showing 0 miles:
Yep. See my edit to my initial reply to you.

Yep. See my edit to my initial reply to you.

not adding up

EDIT: I see what you're doing, and it doesn't seem useful to me. you get 0 miles when you actually want to see a restaurant and how far it is from an airport, and the miles you get for other restaurants isn't the mileage to the restaurant at all, it's from the airport code you put in direct to the airport code that another restaurant is associated to. I can say I personally would never find that useful but maybe other people will be able to use that info.

...it doesn't seem useful to me...
Boy. Tough crowd! :)

Here's the thinking. Maybe you're based at, picking a random airport, JQF, and you want to know all restaurants w/in a 200 mile flight. Supported. Or maybe you're flying from JQF to, say, DTS, and you know you need to stop, you can input JQF and DTS and find all airports w/ restaurants w/in a certain number of miles of that course.

Last edited:
Back