Fly to DEN to pick up a friend?

stagecoachco

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tony B
I have a friend that is flying into DEN next Saturday. I thought it would be cool if I rented a C172 @ Jeffco (BJC) and fly into DEN and pick him up. I read that the GA FBO has a free shuttle to pick up or deliver pax from the terminal. I also read that there is a $40 landing fee, and a ramp fee that is waived with 7 gal fuel purchase.

Would this be a bad idea for a 80+ hour PP? What if I took a CFI with me?
What would my chances be of getting into DEN VFR on a Saturday afternoon?

I have a friend that is flying into DEN next Saturday. I thought it would be cool if I rented a C172 @ Jeffco (BJC) and fly into DEN and pick him up. I read that the GA FBO has a free shuttle to pick up or deliver pax from the terminal. I also read that there is a $40 landing fee, and a ramp fee that is waived with 7 gal fuel purchase.
I'd suggest calling the FBO. They can tell you what the fees are.

Hours don't mean much. If you've familiarized yourself with the airport, it's just as easy as landing at any other airport. If you haven't familiarized yourself, it will be embarrassing.

It's not a matter of getting in or not. You _will_ get in, as you have just the same priority as other traffic. It's a matter of how long it will take you. I'd guess that you'll get in quickly if you get VFR flight following and they have capacity. Flew into Philadelphia VFR in a 172 twice around 6pm - both times, no delays.

Two main things - sound/act like you know what you're doing so as to not scare ATC, and have fun. "N123, confirm destination PHL international" became the motto of my VFR flight. They don't get many VFRs there ;)

-Felix

Last edited:
Is it at all practical? Compare time to drive vs time to find him at the terminal then get to the GA ramp, a departure space etc.
Yes, you said 'fun' so ignore if practicality is a non-issue for you!

Practicality is competely a non-issue. It would be FAR cheaper to drive to DEN and pick him up curbside. I think it would be a good experience, plus it would be pretty neat to have DEN in my logbook. :rolleyes:

Land at KFTG and drive the six miles to KDEN. I'd rather have Leadville, KLXV in my logbook. Well, actually I do. :smile:

That isn't much fun :nonod: and defeats the purpose. :yes::D

I thought flying to Leadville was a blast when I was based at Front Range. What's not to like? Mountain flying at its best. :D

Well, it's my opinion that Class B airports are nothing TOO spectacular, just be on your game, and fly right. Extra points for solid, clean radio work.

Practical? No, but is anything in aviation practical anymore? Sure would be fun, and impressive to the friend, especially if he/she's not a pilot.

Land at KFTG and drive the six miles to KDEN. I'd rather have Leadville, KLXV in my logbook. Well, actually I do. :smile:

And if you're really lucky, they'll clear you across the field directly over the tower. And neither Anthony or I had a camera! :frown2:

Not a bad idea at all. Just do some decent preparation like obtaining and studying an airport diagram with the FBO you intend to visit clearly marked. Have something ready to write down taxi instructions so you don't have to trust your memory. Make sure you call clearance delivery before calling ground for taxi, don't forget to set the xpndr code and unless instructed otherwise leave it in standby until you are cleared for takeoff (and don't forget to turn it on then).

Above all don't let yourself get rushed, coming or going.

BTW, if you start with full tanks will you have room for 7 gallons of fuel when you get to DEN? You might want to plan on a little bit of flying before going to DEN to burn some off. Then again, the potential long taxi at DEN to the FBO might take care of that:D.

Having done this, I agree with Anthony. The best was to pick up someone flying into DEN is to fly to Front Range. It really is just as close to the airline terminal as the FBO. Plus you can get cheap avgas and a good lunch at the restaurant there and pay exactly zero in landing/parking fees.

FTG offers a pick-up and drop-off service. It was $30 a couple years ago, and you can ride along if you want. Or a cab to FTG should be similar.

If you want to go into DEN for the sake of it, go right ahead, but if you want the most efficient and cost-effective means of picking up a passenger there, believe me, FTG is the way to go.

Jon

The FBO at KDEN is Signature and is located here:

den.gif

The tower normally lands GA airplanes on 17R/35L in order to be close to the FBO. However I have used various other runways for takeoff, even ones on the other side of the field. If you need to cross to the other side of the field you will get another frequency, "ramp control" when crossing over by the concourses.

I can't say I've been to KDEN in anything smaller than a King Air but I have seen occasional smaller airplanes on the ramp. Signature has never seemed particularly busy and they do have a shuttle to and from the terminal. I don't know what the handling charges are for a small airplane so you might give them a call.

C-172 VFR into DEN is doable. It is a bit different than BJC...

They have an arrival and a departure ATIS so be prepared. Approach seems a bit forgiving on this but there's no reason not to pick up the ATIS. There are a bunch of tower frequencies so do a bit of homework before hand so you'll know what to expect on the hand-off. It is handy if you bring along a switch-(deleted), err, umm, someone to handle the radios. Heck, I'll go with you and work the radios...we can work out titles later.

I've just done touch-n-goes there so never had to deal with ground or departure control. Print an airport diagram or three so you can navigate on the ground.

Wake turbulence is not your friend...and it will surprise the crap out of you because there are some weird winds out there. This ain't no GA airport...

Last edited:
1. Cab to/from FTG to DEN is impossible and outlandishly expensive. Pretty much cheaper and faster to rent a car.
2. No bus service between FTG & DEN because FTG is just outside the RTD tax district
3. In addition to the landing fee (airport) there's a "handling" fee at Signature. Call them first and find out the details.
4. Take a CFI along with you (make it the checkout for the rental!) who knows the area and DEN quirks
5. I recommend Western Air Flight at BJC for rental.
6. The flight over downtown Denver is great! Since there's no baseball nor football, there's no TFR and you'll have a great view of both stadia. But watch out for the building that looks like a mailbox.
6a. Watch out for the "golf balls" at Buckley AFB. And if you hear the callsign "Nightmare", DUCK!!!!
7. Get the Denver terminal map, don't rely on the sectional.
8. Get flight following and be prepared for vectors all over the place.
9. If you've never leaned an engine, take the CFI along and learn.

I say go for it..:thumbsup:

I used to fly into Orlando International (KMCO) just to pick up my daughter
at the local FBO and I would top off my fuel to avoid any landing fees.

Youtube video of take off from KMCO in C172

Yes driving would have been much, much cheaper but that was not the goal.

1. Cab to/from FTG to DEN is impossible and outlandishly expensive. Pretty much cheaper and faster to rent a car.

FTG is not an option anyway. I would just drive to DEN instead

2. No bus service between FTG & DEN because FTG is just outside the RTD tax district

I did not know that. Good to know though

3. In addition to the landing fee (airport) there's a "handling" fee at Signature. Call them first and find out the details.

Already called. $40 landing fee (not bad for the experience) and a $28 ramp fee for single engine piston (waived with 7gal fuel purchase)

4. Take a CFI along with you (make it the checkout for the rental!) who knows the area and DEN quirks

I talked to the CFI who trained me for my Private, and he thinks that I can handle this. I might take another person just to help with the radios though.

5. I recommend Western Air Flight at BJC for rental.

I second that recomendation. I used Western Air to get my private. I am taking the new (to them) 180hp C172 they just put on the line. My favorite plane there is N6316S (a 150hp C150).

6. The flight over downtown Denver is great! Since there's no baseball nor football, there's no TFR and you'll have a great view of both stadia. But watch out for the building that looks like a mailbox.

I am looking forward to that!!!

6a. Watch out for the "golf balls" at Buckley AFB. And if you hear the callsign "Nightmare", DUCK!!!!

That sounds scary. I'll do my best to stay out of thier way.

7. Get the Denver terminal map, don't rely on the sectional.

Got that already. I am pretty familar with the Denver TAC as it is what i used for all of my flight training, (except long XC)

8. Get flight following and be prepared for vectors all over the place.

I am ready for that also. BJC tower is pretty good about an early freq change if you let them know intentions re Flight Following.

9. If you've never leaned an engine, take the CFI along and learn.

I've never flown and NOT leaned an engine! I think my first chance at flying full rich will be in two weeks when I am in Miami!

Thanks for the advice!!!

I've never flown and NOT leaned an engine! I think my first chance at flying full rich will be in two weeks when I am in Miami!
In all my years flying around the state of Florida I have always leaned to peak.
While the state may be at sea level, your flying won't be.

well, actually, DEN has an Angel Flight appreciation day every year and waives the landing fees for AF folks that day. ... or at least that's how it was a few years ago.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. Unfortunately this ended up not happening. The winds on Saturday at BJC (where I was launching from) were gusting over 30kts. As I was driving my friend from DEN and I was looking at the Lenticulars over Mt. Evans, I was truly glad to be on the ground...

And if you're really lucky, they'll clear you across the field directly over the tower. And neither Anthony or I had a camera! :frown2:

Ha, Yeah Greg, I used to get that pretty regularly. It was a lot of fun looking at all the big iron waiting on the ground. :smile:

Tony B:

my bad about the leaning. I didn't notice you were in Steamboat...Of *course* you know all about leaning! Someday, I, too, will have the opportunity to fly at sea level.

well, actually, DEN has an Angel Flight appreciation day every year and waives the landing fees for AF folks that day. ... or at least that's how it was a few years ago.
Colorado AFW hasn't been to DEN for a couple years now. Wing leadership changed, it seems everything else changed. Used to have a dinner/awards event around Christmas. This year? Lunch a a local restaurant that got cancelled due to lack of interest.

Colorado AFW hasn't been to DEN for a couple years now. Wing leadership changed, it seems everything else changed. Used to have a dinner/awards event around Christmas. This year? Lunch a a local restaurant that got cancelled due to lack of interest.
Wow - that's sad ... I was on the Christmas party committee a few years ago, the one at Green Gables CC. We had a great turnout!

Back