Fly to Brazil for the Soccer World Cup?

Manoj

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
LalBhairon
Hi,

I am a relatively newly minted IFR pilot with about 350 hours. Currently working for my commercial certificate. I am based in the Philadelphia area.

I have been thinking of flying to Brazil next June-July (2014) to be there for some part of the Soccer world cup. I have been talking to various people and it seems that the Caribbean route is the best option.

I was thinking that this could be a 3-4 week trip. Take 4-7 days getting there, 4-7 days getting back, and hang around in Brazil for 7 odd days. It would be great to just be there during world cup soccer. The atmosphere ought to be electric.

I don't have a plane and was thinking of renting (if I can find a place that would rent one for overseas trip) a 6-seater single engine for this adventure - expedition.

Am posting here to see:
a. anyone thinks this is a crazy idea - especially going over open water in a single - please chime in with your thoughts
b. If there is anyone who would want to join in - share expenses, and better still if you have a plane - I would be happy to chip in my share of the costs.

Look forward to comments.

Manoj

Sounds really cool, but I don't think most rental places would go for it.

Best bet might be to hook up with an owner and split costs.

The book Flying South: A Pilot's Inner Journey by Barbara Rowell (who had, I think, about 168 hours and was flying a single engine plane) gives an idea of what a US pilot might encounter when flying through Central and South America.

I had no luck finding a four seater I could take out of the country, I think you'll have an even harder time with a six seater.

Maybe buy one and sell it after the trip?

Look into avgas. Not as available some places along your route.

Look into insurance also. Standard policies won't cover this.

Well heck, if I thought I would have money for it I'd do that in a minute. Great idea for a future world cup! I played down in Belo Horizonte for a couple of weeks with a pro team and loved it. Make sure to save room for loads of cans of Guarana, the Brazilian soft drink specialty!

Take an airliner to the world cup, enjoy. Fly wherever in America the folks you rent from let you.

Well heck, if I thought I would have money for it I'd do that in a minute. Great idea for a future world cup! I played down in Belo Horizonte for a couple of weeks with a pro team and loved it. Make sure to save room for loads of cans of Guarana, the Brazilian soft drink specialty!

You nailed the money thing, not sure what would be harder, the cash or the time off:wink2:

The furthest south I've gone is Belize. The first time I went to Mexico I had about 600 hours or so. Personally I don't see any issues with it. Make sure you trust the plane and it's been thoroughly gone through recently. Take a spare starter and a spare left magneto, as well as a spare alternator.

If you go the Mexico/Central America route, use a handler. It will be much easier and make the trip more enjoyable. You could also go the island hopping route, which would be a lot of fun. Or do both! :)

Do your research and it should be a ton of fun and a great learning experience. When I had about the same number of hours I was thinking about flying a Mooney down to Grenada. The trip fell through, but it would've been a lot of fun.

The book Flying South: A Pilot's Inner Journey by Barbara Rowell (who had, I think, about 168 hours and was flying a single engine plane) gives an idea of what a US pilot might encounter when flying through Central and South America.

Thanks for the recommendation. Have checked the book out on Amazon. On order.

The furthest south I've gone is Belize. The first time I went to Mexico I had about 600 hours or so. Personally I don't see any issues with it. Make sure you trust the plane and it's been thoroughly gone through recently. Take a spare starter and a spare left magneto, as well as a spare alternator.

If you go the Mexico/Central America route, use a handler. It will be much easier and make the trip more enjoyable. You could also go the island hopping route, which would be a lot of fun. Or do both! :)

Do your research and it should be a ton of fun and a great learning experience. When I had about the same number of hours I was thinking about flying a Mooney down to Grenada. The trip fell through, but it would've been a lot of fun.

After talking to many people I am leaning towards the Caribbean route both ways. Though its all a dream right now. I do have a couple of non pilot pals who have tentatively signed on... so the cost bit is looking more realistic. Have to find a plane though, and hopefully another pilot - that seems to be the next step... this may yet come together.

Harder to find, but this kind of trip has multi written all over it. Lots of time over water and inhospitable terrain. Hell, I'd probably rather plop into the Caribbean Sea than BFE South America

Back