Fly the Grand Canyon!

JDACO

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JDACO
My daughter and I flew the RV-7 though the Grand Canyon. If you've never done it I can highly recommend the flight. Absolutely stunning!

I had some trouble with the audio, but here is a video of a couple of the corridors:

I've flown over it, but never through it.

Definitely not a place you’d want an engine failure!

His title is misleading. I've flown those corridors, and you're not flying "through" the canyon, you're flying over it.

It's still very worth doing though. That canyon is BIG!

You can fly down into the side Marble Canyon to land at the Marbe Canyon airport L41. Dragon Corridor is the nearest cross canyon route.

Definitely not a place you’d want an engine failure!

Nope. But there’s worse places. There’s at least some space between the trees. I did it a few years ago. Of course if you want to actually fly ‘through’ the canyon, which he didn’t, it’s a different story. I was low enough that the wife and I could at least enjoy the view. Kind of a zig zaggy route. I was hopscotching from one gliding distance to survivable crash spot to another.

Flying early in morning will give you a smooth ride, otherwise it can be bumpy.

Before the " corridors," my Cessna 185 flew the canyon in 1969...........low!! The corridors were the result of that flight!

How many remember Cinerama (Sp) when Paul Mantz flew a camera equipped B-25 through the Canyon?

Yup. I think. I saw something like that at Disneyland I think. Got a little touch of motion sickness just watching it if I remember right

Back