Fly the familar, less fancy aircraft or the newer, less familiar one?

Which ever, just make sure you have the load. I'd go for the most useful load.

You said "a few" friend's. Neither aircraft is all that great at carrying four average sized humans.

You said "a few" friend's. Neither aircraft is all that great at carrying four average sized humans.

Yep, my thoughts as well, especially with warm weather. Although if it's just a short flight they can leave a good amount of fuel behind.

Yep, my thoughts as well, especially with warm weather. Although if it's just a short flight they can leave a good amount of fuel behind.
Yeah, it's not that far so weight isn't really a big concern.

Okay cool. Answer then is... fly what you want to. You're paying for it! ;)

If it was me I'd take the G-1000 that I had less experience with. Even non pilots can easily be put to use to help you out while you gain more experience for your $$$. If they signed you off for it, I'd assume you're safe enough. Stay VFR and you should have no issue.

Alright, DA40 it is. Just wanted to get some 2nd opinions. Thanks everyone.

Another thing, when you've got 4 people to fly on a fun trip in what is normally a 3 person airplane it's not such a bad deal to have to make fuel stops as it allows for convenient seat swaps for right seat time.

I'd want to know more. Are any of your friends pilots? Are they familiar with the G1000? How complicated is the ATC & air space environment? How many hours of XC with people do you have?
Given what I know so far, I would without hesitation say fly the Cessna for this trip. I don't like the idea of being in a fairly strange plane with other people - too many distractions and if things go bad you are in a pickle.
If you think the money is a deal breaker on this flight, I have to say straight up I think your priorities are out of order. Safety and a successful mission is more important in my mind. Over the long haul, your instincts to convert to the DA are right on.

Yeah, it's not that far so weight isn't really a big concern.

I hope you didn't miss the point about the weight. Weight limitations is not about how far you are traveling but about how much weight your plane can safely lift and fly stable. Please run a good weight and balance for each plane with the amount of weight you will be carrying and also consider the weight distribution. I would certainly go with the plane that has the greatest safety margin when you do the calcs. And don't forget about density altitude this time of the year when temperatures are higher.

Last edited:
Another thing, when you've got 4 people to fly on a fun trip in what is normally a 3 person airplane it's not such a bad deal to have to make fuel stops as it allows for convenient seat swaps for right seat time.
Yeap, we're definitely going to have some stops on the way.

I'd want to know more. Are any of your friends pilots? Are they familiar with the G1000? How complicated is the ATC & air space environment? How many hours of XC with people do you have?
Given what I know so far, I would without hesitation say fly the Cessna for this trip. I don't like the idea of being in a fairly strange plane with other people - too many distractions and if things go bad you are in a pickle.
If you think the money is a deal breaker on this flight, I have to say straight up I think your priorities are out of order. Safety and a successful mission is more important in my mind. Over the long haul, your instincts to convert to the DA are right on.
A friend of mine who did his PP training in the DA40s will be flying right seat with me. If he wasn't coming on this trip, I would have chose the Cessna immediately. He doesn't have much G1000 experience though, as he barely got the checkout around the same time as I did but he does have more hours in it.

As for the airspace/route, it's in the Los Angeles area so... pretty bad, you could say. I did do my training in a class D located a few miles north of LAX so it's not anything that I'm not used to. I'll just give a link to the route in case you're curious.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=33.9482763...LSR:F.K2.VPLQM:A.K2.KSNA:F.K2.VPLSC:A.K2.KEMT

As for the XC time, I can say most of my XC hours have been with another pilot friend of mine and I. I have flown a full plane before but it was more of a local city flight, not an XC so this will be the first time I'm doing a full plane XC.

I hope you didn't miss the point about the weight. Weight limitations is not about how far you are traveling but about how much weight your plane can safely lift and fly stable. Please run a good weight and balance for each plane with the amount of weight you will be carrying and also consider the weight distribution. I would certainly go with the plane that has the greatest safety margin when you do the calcs. And don't forget about density altitude this time of the year when temperatures are higher.
I didn't mean to downplay W&B like that. Of course I will be doing a comprehensive W&B calculation for a 4 person XC.

The G1000 difference would only be a consideration if I'd be IFR, VFR, they have the same view out the window and fly the same.

Yeah, the entire flight will be conducted VFR, as neither of us are instrument rated.

Do a W&B with each. The DA40 is more sensitive and IIRC the POH cautions against fuel loads under 10gals, so be sure your W&B includes fuel burned and the above consideration.

WRT your friend, although he may be comforting sitting right seat, unless he is a CFI, you are PIC and responsible.

Sounds like you need more time in the Diamond. In no time you'll feel as comfortable nd will reap the savings. Go fly solo.

Back