fly solo

Negreteplaya

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Aeolus
good night

i have 200 hours, always have flown with other pilots to my right, but i havent fly totally alone or solo , i think that i can fly alone but there is something that makes me to go with somebody else, i want to fly alone, but still not happens ( i,ve made solos in the airport):confused: MY POINT IS: IS THIS NORMAL? , HAS ANY OF YOU TRAINED AND STILL FLYS WITH SOMEBODY ELSE (I FEEL SAFER)?

Last edited:
I couldn't help myself. I like flying with others as well but do enjoy the occasional solo cross country flight.

I usually don't fly solo a lot simply because its more fun to fly with someone else, but if I have to I see no problem with it.

yes i have my PPL 1 year ago , and now i´m in the IFR training

Weren't you required to fly solo in order to get your PPL?

Flying with someone is more fun.

But doing solo flights is a confidence booster. Reminds me that I can do this, and do it well, without relying on someone to my right to act as a crutch.

I encourage you to go on so local and regional solo flights. If it helps, do a through flight planning session, including chair flying, prepare all of your needed check lists, planning logs, flight kit. Then seek out a nice smooth flying day and go for it.

I usually don't fly solo a lot simply because its more fun to fly with someone else, but if I have to I see no problem with it.

Weren't you required to fly solo in order to get your PPL?

I'm unable to Google the requirements for a Mexican PPL license. I find it odd too that there would be no requirement for solo flight.

Negreteplaya, How many hours flying solo are required in mexico?

¿Cuántas horas de vuelo solo se requieren en México

Interesting. Most of my hours are solo. I don't feel any more or less safe with a passenger. I suppose when my passenger is another pilot, that adds a level of safety.

5 hours solo, 6 xcountry total 40 hours

Wait a minute, you have 200 hours and only five of those are solo, and all in the traffic pattern:dunno:. Wow!

good night

i have 200 hours, always have flown with other pilots to my right, but i havent fly totally alone or solo , i think that i can fly alone but there is something that makes me to go with somebody else, i want to fly alone, but still not happens ( i,ve made solos in the airport):confused: MY POINT IS: IS THIS NORMAL? , HAS ANY OF YOU TRAINED AND STILL FLYS WITH SOMEBODY ELSE (I FEEL SAFER)?

No, this is NOT normal:no:

Last edited:
Other than my few hours of dual Tailwheel, most of my flights are solo. I like to share aviation and do have an occasional passenger but I'm actually more relaxed when I'm alone.

I've always felt a bit more stressed with a CFI in the right seat:lol:.

I remember when I was a student, after I soloed my instructor signed me off to fly to neighboring airports, less than 25nm away. At first I was afraid of not being able to find my way back. But when I finally did fly to the nearest airport and land, I felt a feeling of accomplishment and it boosted my confidence.
I think in your case, you obviously had confidence at one time, which helped you pass your checkride. But since then your confidence has faded away. You just need to rebuild your confidence. Why not choose 1 nearby airport and fly there with someone - another pilot or an instructor or a non-pilot passenger. Fly there, land, taxi, and depart. Return to your home airport and shut down. Let the other person get out. Then you immediately make the same flight but by yourself while the terrain and all other features of the flight are still fresh in your mind. The plane will not know you are by yourself. When you return to your home base, reward yourself by just doing a touch and go or a stop and go, depart again and just fly about 5 miles away from the airport in a different direction than before. (You'll still be able to see the airport.) Then return and land.
Another thing that will help with confidence is taking some kind of course (usually just a couple of hours) in spin recovery or Upset Recovery. This is usually done in an aerobatic plane with an aerobatic instructor. After having taken one of these courses, where the instructor puts the plane in some extreme unusual attitudes, flying straight and level by yourself will seem like nothing. You'll feel more confident and have greater control over the aircraft.
Here's another thing that might help. I myself fly solo most of the time and it's hard to get motivated unless I have a "purpose" for the flight. Do some research and find out which airports in your area have restaurants or air museums or other things you can visit. Then plan to fly to one for breakfast or lunch, or to see the museum or whatever. Check and see when other airports might be having a "fly in" event. Here in Florida many small airports have a pancake breakfast on Saturday, as a fundraiser. Pilots fly there, give a donation, eat, meet other pilots to chat with, then depart.
Also, maybe you can join an organization that involves flying. Here in the US we have the Civil Air Patrol, and the Young Eagles which provides flights for children. We have organizations where pilots volunteer to take people to get medical care such as cancer treatments, and organizations where pilots volunteer to transport dogs and cats from an area damaged by natural disasters to an area where families can take them as pets.

It's called CFItis (Dr. Bruce told me that. ;)) we train with a CFI and get use to someone being there. The problem is you rely on them to tell you what to do also. :nono:

Break the strings or you are nothing but an auto pilot. :lol:

My next build will be a single seat airplane. Hard to take passengers along. :yes:

Kono!

I recommend you go fly to the closest airport to your home airport. land, get out, walk around and then fly back home....or fly to the next farther airport and do the same thing. After a while you have flown to all airports within 50 miles or so of your home airport. These flights are all under 1/2 hr one way....pretty soon you will feel comfortable to take longer flights say 1 hr each way followed by 2 hrs each way.

If you have any worries about anything that ask your cfi to work with you on them but go out and fly alone...avoid taking friends or family for a while until you are comfortable flying alone.

Cheers!

Hmm. I realize I spend more time alone in the airplanes than I do with someone else in the plane.
Am I becoming a curmudgeon?
I think I'll go up tomorrow, alone, and think about it.

I find it odd that some of us have many many hours yet rarely if ever fly solo. having someone else in the plane is nice but I really like going solo. I would think that someone with 200 hours should be more than skilled enough to fly alone without a single problem.

Hmm. I realize I spend more time alone in the airplanes than I do with someone else in the plane.
Am I becoming a curmudgeon?
I think I'll go up tomorrow, alone, and think about it.

Maybe your friends and family are sending you a subtle message? :dunno:

:D

I find it odd that some of us have many many hours yet rarely if ever fly solo. having someone else in the plane is nice but I really like going solo. I would think that someone with 200 hours should be more than skilled enough to fly alone without a single problem.

I like my company! Can't think of anyone else I would rather spend time with doing something I love. Okay, that might be over the top. :redface:

Flying to me is the best thing a human being can do. Building your own plane and flying is a joy every time I open the hangar door. Every flight is special, no 2 flights the same. The freedom it brings and the attitude adjustment I get from just a half hour of flight cannot be measured or duplicated. Better than sex, and it lasts longer. :rofl: :eek:

Did I just say that? :mad2:

I remember when I was a student, after I soloed my instructor signed me off to fly to neighboring airports, less than 25nm away. At first I was afraid of not being able to find my way back. But when I finally did fly to the nearest airport and land, I felt a feeling of accomplishment and it boosted my confidence.
I think in your case, you obviously had confidence at one time, which helped you pass your checkride. But since then your confidence has faded away. You just need to rebuild your confidence. Why not choose 1 nearby airport and fly there with someone - another pilot or an instructor or a non-pilot passenger. Fly there, land, taxi, and depart. Return to your home airport and shut down. Let the other person get out. Then you immediately make the same flight but by yourself while the terrain and all other features of the flight are still fresh in your mind. The plane will not know you are by yourself. When you return to your home base, reward yourself by just doing a touch and go or a stop and go, depart again and just fly about 5 miles away from the airport in a different direction than before. (You'll still be able to see the airport.) Then return and land.
Another thing that will help with confidence is taking some kind of course (usually just a couple of hours) in spin recovery or Upset Recovery. This is usually done in an aerobatic plane with an aerobatic instructor. After having taken one of these courses, where the instructor puts the plane in some extreme unusual attitudes, flying straight and level by yourself will seem like nothing. You'll feel more confident and have greater control over the aircraft.
Here's another thing that might help. I myself fly solo most of the time and it's hard to get motivated unless I have a "purpose" for the flight. Do some research and find out which airports in your area have restaurants or air museums or other things you can visit. Then plan to fly to one for breakfast or lunch, or to see the museum or whatever. Check and see when other airports might be having a "fly in" event. Here in Florida many small airports have a pancake breakfast on Saturday, as a fundraiser. Pilots fly there, give a donation, eat, meet other pilots to chat with, then depart.
Also, maybe you can join an organization that involves flying. Here in the US we have the Civil Air Patrol, and the Young Eagles which provides flights for children. We have organizations where pilots volunteer to take people to get medical care such as cancer treatments, and organizations where pilots volunteer to transport dogs and cats from an area damaged by natural disasters to an area where families can take them as pets.

I think DogDaddy's advice is very thorough and helpful, I would try it and good luck man (YOU CAN DO IT:yes:)

Maybe your friends and family are sending you a subtle message? :dunno:

:D

Nah! Couldn't possibly be my fault.
Well, maybe.
Part of the problem is age and economics.
My kids are all off on their own, working.
My grand kids are all in school.
Most of my friends still have to work for a living.
Those that don't are all so busy being old they forget how much fun life really is.

When they finally pull me out of the wreckage I want them to put the words from that song they sing in "Dawn Patrol" on my tombstone.

Plane climbs faster solo. Gets off the ground sooner, too. That can be fun.

But I like flying with someone else, especially if it's someone who hasn't flown before and really jazzed about it. I fly young eagle flights a lot, just because of that cool moment.

Back