Fly like a bird. Seriously

Unless there is some form of mechanical assistance, there is absolutely no way this NOT a Phoney...

Calling it fake. Kinda suspicious of the camera panning down at 1:51. Hard to tell on youtube, but i almost think there was a cross fade used while pointed at the grase.

Electric power assist on the flapping motion - read the story attached to the OP link.

Yes read the story never talks about human powered
The harness holds the brushless outrunner motors that power the mechanical propulsion system for the wings
I looks like his arms are not even attached.

Fake Doesnt show him making the u turn to land and the other guys seem to be far away when he takes off and lands... sort of to do some photo magic

Add that to my christmas list and I'll let you know if it's real. :D I can't say I approve of his choice of airfields though.

Yes read the story never talks about human powered

I looks like his arms are not even attached.

His arms aren't attached. His system has him using two Wii controllers... That's why he flaps his arms... That motion is translated to the motors in the wings.

Not sure it's legit, but if it is, bravo!

The said the wings weigh 37 ounces?!

Thats what I read. The Bluetooth sensors connected to the Wii sense his arm position and position the wings the same. He still has electric motors moving the wings, not his own arm strength.

But still, it's quite an accomplishment. I wonder how long he can keep his arms moving.

Thats what I read. The Bluetooth sensors connected to the Wii sense his arm position and position the wings the same. He still has electric motors moving the wings, not his own arm strength.

But still, it's quite an accomplishment. I wonder how long he can keep his arms moving.

Not sure why he made it so he had to "flap" his arms. Other than the cool factor.
What will last longer his arms or the batteries.

Not sure why he made it so he had to "flap" his arms. Other than the cool factor.
What will last longer his arms or the batteries.

As long as the power grid is functioning and his computer is able to edit video, he should be able to "fly" for a long time. :)

It just doesn't seem that the amount of wing flapping he's doing can move enough air to achieve lift and propulsion. Also, the fabric on the trailing edge of the wings seems a little loose and I would have expected to see it flapping quite a bit more during flight. The wing fabric doesn't appear to be supporting the load in flight, it looks more like it's just hanging there. Finally, those small motors seem underpowered for handling hundreds of foot-lbs of moment from the wings. And that must have been a pretty powerful battery pack he was carrying.

I'm skeptical.

A guy that has spent quite a bit of time studying flying animals has told me the video is "unconvincing" and his conclusion was that the takeoff and landing were faked. He does however believe that such a contraption is viable. It has all the classic symptoms of internet BS. emotional music, emotional reaction, more video footage of people walking around than the actual flight, no video of anything from start to finish, blurry, Go Pro shows helmet then it doesn't. Video sequences are just a few seconds in length. My conclusion is the guy started out with good intentions, realized it wasn't going to work so went with a fake to generate page views.

Good comments in that latest update about the impossible stability of the helmet mounted cam.

I also notice that the wings appear quite flexible in the flapping sequence before he left the ground, but in the air as he is gliding with the wings still, the wings show absolutely no signs of blending upward from the load! How can flexible wings not flex at all when loaded up?

Too many inconsistencies have now added up. FAKE. That's what I'm going with.

Dude that is some of the fakest poo I've seen shoveled.

Textureing is poor, focus is convenient, physics are wrong and not only is his head not bobing with the flapping, his body isn't. You support yourself on wings that big and then flap them. Bet you body bucks up and down rather significantly.

Back