Fly into IAH?

dweyant

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
My daughter has a commercial flight out of IAH early Saturday morning in a couple weeks.

I would need to fly in Friday evening sometime.

Is there another airport close by that I could land at and reasonably get her over t IAH in the morning?

Thanks,

-Dan

CXO in Conroe is a nice field, and Galaxy has crew cars, but I don't know how early "early" is and it's a 45-min drive each way. I also hear DWH is a nice field and it probably has crew cars, but I don't have experience with it. It's a little closer...about a 30-min drive each way.

Not really fantastic options, I don't think. I'd guess landing at IAH would be better...not sure what sort of a line of traffic you might be in for taking off again, though, if you hit the morning push.

Though I have not done it myself, I've been told by those who have that operating into and out of IAH need not be a brainectomy. Houston has excellent Approach controllers, and there's an FBO there. Just file, fly and enjoy.

Though I have not done it myself, I've been told by those who have that operating into and out of IAH need not be a brainectomy. Houston has excellent Approach controllers, and there's an FBO there. Just file, fly and enjoy.

Hooks KDWH 24 Miles (31 Min. Drive) from G. Bush KIAH
Hooks is busy but not as busy as Bush.

I would probably need to fly in Friday evening and then leave Saturday after her flight sometime (about 6:00 am)

How big a deal is it to fly into IAH in a Cessna 177? I'm IFR so I assume filing would be the way to go?

What about times. How can I find out when they are less busy since I have some flexibility on when I arrive/depart.

Thanks

-Dan

I would fly into KDWH if you are spending the night anyways. KCXO is a little farther away, but it is nicer.

Call ahead to see about a courtesy car. They do have rentals if no courtesy car.

I am based out of KDWH. I haven't flown into IAH.

I agree with the others. Your two options are CXO in Conroe, which is a tad further but offers Galaxy's exceptional new facility and service, or DWH in Tomball which is closer.

I would opt for DWH just for the sake of proximity to IAH, but it's up to you!

Fly into Hooks (DWH), it will take you the same amount of time to drive from Hooks then pick-up at IAH, as it would to either get you sorted out to land on the 15's at IAH or if you land on 26s/27 then taxi way back over to the FBO, then you still going to have to get transportation to the terminal for pick-up.

Hooks is nice and friendly....same as CXO, just Hooks is much closer, and you wont have to mess with interstate 45.

It has been a few years but I flew into IAH several times in a Mooney with a student doing his insurance check out who wanted to go in there to see family. Never had any issues.

I flew there 3 or 4 years ago in my 421, no problem at all. I came in on a Sunday afternoon and left on Wednesday or Thursday night, no more traffic than any other metro airport. Controllers were great, I was IFR, but the weather was clear.:D

The fastest GA field in terms of driving to IAH is actually 9X1 or North Houston. I doubt it has any taxi service though but it would be the easiest drive. Just get over to Porter and then it's a very quick drive down 59 right into the airport. The problem with Hooks is the road between it and I-45 has about 30 traffic lights and seems to take forever. CornHole is even further north than 9X1 on 59.

Hooks Memorial KDWH also has a fine on-field restaurant!

The FBOs at IAH will provide a shuttle to/from the terminal, too.

Back