Fly-in vacation destinations in southeast/ NC area

Tflhndn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tflhndn
This may be a bit early since I am just getting cleared for my solo x countries. But I am trying to plan a flying vacation for the family (me, my wife and our five-year-old son) this summer and am interested in suggestions for good places to go. We have 7-10 days available and are inclined to visit several places over the course of the trip

We are open to camping if the grounds are near the airport, and other options for entertaining the little one...

We are going to keep the itinerary flexible so we are looking for options

So far we have the Outer Banks (Ocracoke island with a day trip to FFA)

Since we are (or will be) new to this, we don't really know what is out there.

As of now, we expect to be flying an Archer, so any field 2,500' or more would work, grass fields are ok too so long as there isn't anything particularly tricky beyond that.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Southport is a neat little town. You'll need a car, but they rent them there.

Southport is a recommendation. Oak Island is a great place...

Ocean Isle is another.

Also...Carolina Beach...ILM gives you access and camping is good...look at the north end...new ordinances for 2015 so review carefully.

Ocracoke/ Hatteras are spots I am not familiar with but are popular destinations.

Hilton Head Island, North Myrtle Beach, if you want to fly inland, the Biltmore is interesting.

Jekyll Island (09J) is a fun visit. Beaches, old homes to tour, carriage rides, turtle aquarium/museum.

Hilton Head Island, North Myrtle Beach, if you want to fly inland, the Biltmore is interesting.

Oh, I really like the small little waterfront in Beaufort, NC, and there are nice beaches on Emerald Isle. KMRH is very close and convenient.

Beaufort is a nice town, beaches are nice there, but everything I read about the FBO there is horrible.

The Wilmington/oak island area is nice because there's a lot to do besides the beaches, but it's not as crowded as myrtle.

I'd say Ocracoke is the best idea depending on the length of time. Kids might get bored after a few days, but you can always day trip somewhere.

So far we have the Outer Banks (Ocracoke island with a day trip to FFA)

You mentioned Ocracoke (W95), but just north of Ocracoke is Billy Mitchell Airport on Hatteras Island (HSE). The nice thing about HSE is the campground is walking distance from the airport. They're close enough (13nm) you can do Ocracoke for the day, then head up to Hatteras to camp.

All those places are even more fun if you have fold up bikes that will fit in your plane.
Ron

One note about Ocracoke and Hatteras. Camping there could be unbearable at certain times of the year. Mosquitoes.

Fortunately both have towns/restaurants and inexpensive hotels if you want to stay. Renting a golf cart in Ocracoke is good for 2 hours of entertainment. Fishing charters are available and you can surf fish at either location. Renting a beach truck at either location and surf fishing is a good way to spend the day.

You might consider staying at the Greenbrier resort in White Sulfur Springs, WV. You can land at the Greenbrier Valley Airport (KLWB ) and get a cab or rent a car. It's only about 15-20 minutes away. Definitely worth checking out. I stayed in one of their cottages, and it was very nice. Take the tour of the underground bunker they built to house congress in the event of nuclear attack.

http://www.greenbrier.com/

Camping is free at KEDE, Edenton, NC, and there are restrooms, a shower, a pilot's lounge, and WiFi in the terminal building. Enterprise will bring you a car to pick up at the desk by prior arrangement, or you can take your chances on the courtesy car. The historic little Colonial town is pleasant for an afternoon's wander. There are kayaks for rent at the town's waterfront park, a trolley ride around town, a pleasant little electric boat gives tours of the waterfront, and there are tickets available for several lovely colonial houses furnished in period style, including the screwpile lighthouse in the harbor, and historic sites. Local BnBs, AirBnB houses are in good supply, and several good restaurants. The ramp is free at EDE, and self-serve fuel is on the low side of average. You'll find yourselves warmly welcomed. Your son will like the big smiley face on the end of the fuel tank. It's a pleasant laid-back interval between the excitement of the beach, the nonstop walking at Williamsburg, and all the other fun things there are to do around this side of the country. Oh, and don't forget wonderful Charleston, SC. It is my favorite of all small cities.

Great place! Saint Simons is really nice too and a little better runway options.
And my sister is within walking distance. And BIL is allways lookin' for an excuse to go fishin' :D

Back