Fly-in Texas style

Nice vid, I'm tempted to go.
Handpropping 3/4 of the way through. Comments on technique from you experts?

Nice vid, I'm tempted to go.
Handpropping 3/4 of the way through. Comments on technique from you experts?

One of the main points when hand propping is to do it in a way such that your body momentum is taking you away from the prop. If you stumble after spin the prop, you will be stumbling away from the swirling blade of death.

Of course there all the legalities of "licensed pilot at the controls", etc.

-Chris

as far as handpropping technique, i am no expert. I was taught to prop by a CFI about my age in the J3 cub at Poplar Grove, Illinois. What he taught me made sense to me so thats how ive done it since. key point is to check the brakes with a tug on the strut, lay your palm flat on the prop blade, and then get your momentum moving away from the prop as you pull down, as chris was saying. Ive never propped anything with very high compression so it works very well. J3 at green castle, matts Fly baby, maybe a chief or champ here and there.

FWIW i didnt see the video, dads new DSL is fast enough to download it but his computer is still too slow to watch it :)

Oh yeah.. I didn't even comment on the video!

That is a pretty sweet setup they have going on there. Rachel and I were planning on going down there to visit some C-170 friends we met at MPJ in April. But, I got tickets to the AU-Fla game instead. :D

Looks like we'll have to make a special effort to get there next year!

-Chris

Back