Fly-In Proposal Ideas (Central Texas)

futureag2010

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
futureag2010
Alright Texas pilots, I could use your help! I'm wanting to propose to my girlfriend in the New Year's Day-ish time frame, and I'm toying with the idea of incorporating flying into it somehow. I'm based out of CLL, but most of my flying has been taking friends up with no destination, so I'm not particularly familiar with airports in the area.

So here's where I need help! Do y'all know of any nice little airports within 150 miles or so of CLL that would be good for something like that? Maybe a bit of a view, or a pretty little area on/close to the airport... Just something kind of secluded basically. Something in the San Antonio/Austin/Houston areas would be especially good since it would be easy to hop over to home to show families and such right after, but that's no dealbreaker.

I'd be renting a 162/172, and their insurance only allows for paved runways of 3000'+ if that makes a difference.

What I'm thinking about may not even exist, but I figured y'all would know more than I do! Thanks for your help!

Fredericksburg

That's a good choice. Or Port Aransas. Can take bus down to to the waterfront and eat by the channel.

Or,do like the guy who enabled breadcrumbs on his iPad and then gave directions to his girlfriend to fly until it spelled out the question.

That's a good choice. Or Port Aransas. Can take bus down to to the waterfront and eat by the channel.

Or,do like the guy who enabled breadcrumbs on his iPad and then gave directions to his girlfriend to fly until it spelled out the question.

Yup.... Go see Jay and Mary to "seal the deal"...

Do both.
Spend a night in Fburg and then fly down to Jays place the next day.
Those are the best suggestions.

Brenham has an outdoor patio overlooking a small lake that ain't bad. It isn't hill country beautiful, but it'll do.

Next week is supposed to be cold. Might want to keep that in mind.

Yup.... Go see Jay and Mary to "seal the deal"...
What do you mean by that? ;)

Well, shoot, we might be induced to let you and your bride stay in a brand, new, aviation themed room, use our car, deliver breakfast to your room, and let you take it down to the hot tub.

Wait...we do that for everyone.

Okay, champagne. We will throw in champagne. PM me!

A few years back, I was about to try and do the same thing. My girlfriend suggested that I take her flying to view Christmas lights from the air. I immediately knew what I was going to do. A week or so later, we spend a wonderful couple of hours flying around the Dallas/Fort Worth area looking at all the brightly lit neighborhoods. The tour finished a little ways out in the country where these lights were laid out in a friends back yard.

Attachments

• marriage_proposal.jpg
    marriage_proposal.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 65
A few years back, I was about to try and do the same thing. My girlfriend suggested that I take her flying to view Christmas lights from the air. I immediately knew what I was going to do. A week or so later, we spend a wonderful couple of hours flying around the Dallas/Fort Worth area looking at all the brightly lit neighborhoods. The tour finished a little ways out in the country where these lights were laid out in a friends back yard.

You are the man! :yes:

Brenham has an outdoor patio overlooking a small lake that ain't bad. It isn't hill country beautiful, but it'll do.

Next week is supposed to be cold. Might want to keep that in mind.

+1 Brenham is a great place.

Y'all are good! I've got some research to do now!

Jay, your place sounds awesome! We're both kind of old school so we may not be able to come see y'all before the wedding, but DEFINITELY after!

And the bread crumb thing is freakin genius! I'm not too keen on proposing in flight, but I may have to do something with that!

Like I said I'd like to be able to get down on one knee and
everything but this is just awesome!

Horseshoe Bay may be a little over budget as a broke college kid, but I always forget about Fredericksburg and Port A! Will definitely be looking into those. Plus Brenham is probably my favorite airport in the College Station area. Forgot about that one too though!

Y'all have been such a huge help so far! Thank you! Who would've known y'all were just a bunch of hopeless romantics... ;)

Be sure to post pictures after the proposal.

Y'all are good! I've got some research to do now!

Jay, your place sounds awesome! We're both kind of old school so we may not be able to come see y'all before the wedding, but DEFINITELY after!

And the bread crumb thing is freakin genius! I'm not too keen on proposing in flight, but I may have to do something with that!

Like I said I'd like to be able to get down on one knee and
everything but this is just awesome!

Horseshoe Bay may be a little over budget as a broke college kid, but I always forget about Fredericksburg and Port A! Will definitely be looking into those. Plus Brenham is probably my favorite airport in the College Station area. Forgot about that one too though!

Y'all have been such a huge help so far! Thank you! Who would've known y'all were just a bunch of hopeless romantics... ;)
Don't let the excitement of the flight cloud your judgement flying. It's pretty fun to do, though!

My father-in-law took this picture as I landed about 5 minutes before I proposed to my wife on a field about 7,000' up in New Mexico.

1-Gen%252520%252526%252520Ryans%252520Betrothal%2525204-7-12.JPG

I'm seeing references to Jay and Mary's place... What is that? I'm a Texas pilot as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you KNOW she's gonna say yes? I wouldn't waste too much money unless it's a for sure deal.

This coming from a guy that popped the question but never got to the aisle.

I'm seeing references to Jay and Mary's place... What is that? I'm a Texas pilot as well.

Wow, I'm gonna have to put you on the payroll as my straight man around here, with a lead-in like that! ;)

Amelia's Landing Hotel is our small, 23-room aviation-themed hotel that my wife, Mary, and I have spent the last 5 years building. We bought it in 2010, when it was called the Harbor Inn. You may remember us from the Alexis Park Inn up in Iowa, which we owned and operated from 2002 - 2011. (Yep, we ran both hotels for one insane year.)

We are located on sunny Mustang Island, in Port Aransas, TX. We spent every off-season over the last five years remodeling it into an aviation themed hotel, just finishing the last room this year. Unlike other aviation themed hotels you may have heard about, each of our rooms is unique, representing a different era of aviation history, starting with the Wright Brothers and working your way up to the modern era.

We try to make sure that each room has something unique in it. Our Blackbird Room, for example, has parts from an SR-71, as well as wreckage from a crash. The Mustang Room has P-51 parts on the wall, and so on.

We also offer things that no other hotel in the world does, like a free courtesy car to use during your (fly-in) stay, and a made-to-order Continental breakfast delivered to your room each day.

Because we aren't part of a chain, we don't have to rape you to make ends meet. Tonight, for example, the Mustang Room is just $79.95, plus tax -- and we are doing BOGO right now! (Prices are triple that, or more, during the season, which runs from May - October.)

Check us out. Port A rocks! :)

Wow, I'm gonna have to put you on the payroll as my straight man around here, with a lead-in like that! ;)

Amelia's Landing Hotel is our small, 23-room aviation-themed hotel that my wife, Mary, and I have spent the last 5 years building. We bought it in 2010, when it was called the Harbor Inn. You may remember us from the Alexis Park Inn up in Iowa, which we owned and operated from 2002 - 2011. (Yep, we ran both hotels for one insane year.)

We are located on sunny Mustang Island, in Port Aransas, TX. We spent every off-season over the last five years remodeling it into an aviation themed hotel, just finishing the last room this year. Unlike other aviation themed hotels you may have heard about, each of our rooms is unique, representing a different era of aviation history, starting with the Wright Brothers and working your way up to the modern era.

We try to make sure that each room has something unique in it. Our Blackbird Room, for example, has parts from an SR-71, as well as wreckage from a crash. The Mustang Room has P-51 parts on the wall, and so on.

We also offer things that no other hotel in the world does, like a free courtesy car to use during your (fly-in) stay, and a made-to-order Continental breakfast delivered to your room each day.

Because we aren't part of a chain, we don't have to rape you to make ends meet. Tonight, for example, the Mustang Room is just $79.95, plus tax -- and we are doing BOGO right now! (Prices are triple that, or more, during the season, which runs from May - October.)

Check us out. Port A rocks! :)

Holy crap. I can't believe I haven't heard of this! I've been down to Port A but it was before I was a pilot. That's an amazing idea. I'm going to have to pay you guys a visit soon :)
You don't have to put me on the payroll, just give me a free room for a night ;)

You guys are on this like white on rice! I have nothing to add but multiple thumbs up for Amelia's Landing and the coast.

Back