Fly-In Idea's and Activities?

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
I would like to get some feedback on a few ideas for a fly in. This topic came up at work (thankfully with the right person) and I was asked what kind of activities would draw pilots to the Cape May NJ airport. On the airfield is the Naval Air Station - Wildwood museum detailing the history of the base and providing a host of aircraft and wartime memorabilia. There is also the Cape May-Lewes Ferry just minutes away.

The airfield restaurant is closed but there is talk of one of the local eatery's giving it a go, we will keep our fingers crossed. So on field dining is out for now.

The following ideas are suggested with the hope of keeping our other half interested in this world of flight.

What about a trip on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry from Cape May, NJ to Lewes, DE for lunch with a return trip and shuttle back to the airport as a package deal of some sort?

A shuttle trip into Cape May for beach time, lunch, Cape May Bird Observatory, the Nature Center of Cape May, the NJ Audubon Society’s Cape May Bird Observatory Education and Research Center, The Wetlands Institute or The Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary or my Brides favorite, strolling the shops?

Maybe a two part fly in. Those who want to shop or explore the local area and historic sights can do so in Cape May or Lewes, while those that choose to hit the aviation museums can saddle up for the double header and also take in the Millville Army Airfield Museum, it’s a ten-minute hop

Maybe a weekend getaway including a ferryboat ride to Lewes and back with the option of staying where you decide NJ or DE.

Mary and I love riding the Ferry. The cruise to Lewes at sunset is all that and more.

Any suggestions are welcome. I’m just trying to come up with something different that would be fun to do for the pilot and co-pilot!

Generally speaking, folks aren't about to invest more time than it would take to eat lunch (especially if lunch is off-airport) and visit the museum (which takes a couple of hours to tour fully) unless it's a major event like Gaston's. Since you have to check in an hour prior to sailing time, and it's an 80-minute trip, you'd have to land at WWD about 9 am to have lunch in Lewes, and you wouldn't be back at the airport until at least 4 pm -- put that all together, and it's a pretty early start from home and an arrival back about dinner time. Put that all together, and my experience suggests you won't get many people. In addition, given the demand for reservations in the summer, there's a high likelihood of being shut out for the desired sailing, and having another delay for the next boat.

IMO, the shuttle to Cape May has a lot more feasibility. You could land about 10:30, be on the beach by 11:00, walk around, have lunch, stroll some more, and be back at the airport by 2-2:30, which, in my experience, has a lot more likelihood of attracting people.

The overnight idea has more feasibility if a ferry trip to Lewes is contemplated. However, that will have to be one of those long-term planned deals like Gaston's, and (since it's more expensive and time-demanding) will have to take a lot more effort from the organizer. Personally, I think the best bet is waiting until the on-airport restaurant reopens, and doing a lunch-and-museum-tour trip, to which we attracted quite a few planes a couple of years ago.

Gary

Cape May, not that far from Wildwood, is one of the nicer places on the NJ shore. Ron's correct concerning the timing, it's easier to have a relatively short fly-in.. say 2-4 hours then head home verses a day long type event. One idea that would interest me AND the wife would be something tied into an overnight at one of the Bed and Breakfast places there. Do a lunch, maybe a tour of the museum then some beach followed by dinner, bottle of wine and a nice hot shower and a soft bed (I'm growing decadent in my old age). The wife would certainly go for it.

Gary (the other Gary:D )

Gary ya gotta use what ya got and WWD says Beach to me. Problem is the cab ride is so darn pricy. also If you get the Restauraunt open again that would be a huge help.

Gary ya gotta use what ya got and WWD says Beach to me. Problem is the cab ride is so darn pricy. also If you get the Restauraunt open again that would be a huge help.

Just visited there two weeks ago.

I flew in just to see the Naval Air Station Museum. It was ok, for the six buck donation,
but nothing I'd tell people to spend the day for...
Got to see the Mig 15, and Avenger TBM... a bunch of choppers...
Nice thing, is you can climb aboard most of the displays, which are in dire need of restoration. And a display of some mangled and corroded junk, labelled as crashed aircraft parts.

A shame they don't have the funds to work with. The work they have completed is pretty nice.

Also, way too dark inside, for photos without flash.

$100.00, and NO Hamburger....:rolleyes:
But the FBO has soda.... in a machine for $1.25

Back